2008 Wrangler Sahara - No Start Cold Weather - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-05-2016, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

2008 Wrangler Sahara - No Start Cold Weather

First Time Poster since I upgraded my 1995 YJ to a 2008 Sahara over the summer. First winter with a very electronic jeep. 6 Speed, manual transmission.

Over the weekend temps dropped from -2C(28F) to -28C(-18F). Monday I went out to start the jeep, dashboard lights came on but the engine didnt turn.

With the key in the primary position, dashboard lights all come on, then extinguish. Radio plays, headlights are bright so its not an issue with battery power. I disconnected the battery and checked the terminals anyway, but they were clean and its a tight fit. Sentry Key/Security Alarm Indicator Light is not on.

There is a definite >clunk< sound from the engine when I turn the key to turn the engine on. But the engine doesnt even seem to try and engage.

Any ide'ers before I get CAA to take it to the mechanic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-05-2016, 09:06 PM
Wheeler

Have you checked your battery? It takes a bit more to crank it than it does to run the lights. Had similar symptoms (minus the cold temps) when one of my "helpers" left the interior lights on. Drained the battery, wouldn't hold enough of a charge to crank, still had lights. Replaced the battery and I'm all good. Have the battery checked first.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-05-2016, 10:30 PM
Rock God

Cold is a double-whammy for starting batteries. A cold battery doesn't have as much cranking power as a warm one. Often, a marginal battery will suddenly fall short of enough power for cranking when the temps drop.

Secondly, a cold engine is harder to turn over. The battery actually has to work harder in cold weather to crank the engine. Combine that with the battery's drop in power and what you have is your classic double-whammy.

It's also possible your starter decided to quit on you. Could be a bad connection at the starter. I would check the battery first and go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-06-2016, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
Cold is a double-whammy for starting batteries. A cold battery doesn't have as much cranking power as a warm one. Often, a marginal battery will suddenly fall short of enough power for cranking when the temps drop.

Secondly, a cold engine is harder to turn over. The battery actually has to work harder in cold weather to crank the engine. Combine that with the battery's drop in power and what you have is your classic double-whammy.

It's also possible your starter decided to quit on you. Could be a bad connection at the starter. I would check the battery first and go from there.
Thanks All - Popped a new battery in last night, No Change. Also tried boosting it with a much alrger vehicle/battery. No Change I think I've narrowed it down to:

Clutch Safety Switch
Ignition Actuator
...or the starter.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Rock God

Garage

I had water in my starter once, freezing and keeping it from turning? Maybe try applying some heat to the starter?

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #6 of 6 Old 01-06-2016, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Problem Solved!

Update: Bought a new Clutch Safety Switch from Napa Auto Parts for $24.99. After some Cirque de Soleil level acrobatics under the dashboard and around the steering column I managed to replace it. All working now. Stupid pot metal construction.....

Thanks for the advice all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode