SAS Rocklights, on the cheap cheap! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 05-30-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Talking SAS Rocklights, on the cheap cheap!

Installed a set of $20 55w BURNERS from WalMart today, man these put off some good light. My Shrockworks stubby doesn't have lights so the wires were capped and mothballed couple years back. Brought them back to active duty today and it's really nice using the OEM wiring/relays/etc and it all be controlled via the blinker lever.

Rock-lights off, flash on, I mounted them using the OEM inner fender-bolt.

Finally added my second set this evening, pics came out a little better this time, need a tripod for night shots I guess. This set made a huge difference and got rid of most of the shadows that the fronts threw.

Last edited by SASQUATCH; 06-10-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-30-2010, 10:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Looks good, but ya need like four more. Get rid of the shadows underneith for the spotter to be able to see whats goin on down there. My theory at least. Those are bright!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old 05-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Ha! that's cool Sas. Those are the same one's I am using. I only have two mounted at the rear. I need to move one up front or buy another set. I ran mine from the battery- using a lighted rocker switch and in-line fuse protection.

Note- I had a short issue. It was a terminal screw inside one of the lights. In case you have any problem with them cutting out, you might want to check there.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 05-30-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Looks good, but ya need like four more. Get rid of the shadows underneith for the spotter to be able to see whats goin on down there. My theory at least. Those are bright!

Looks awesome Goody, I plan on doing just that tomorrow actually, with a dedicated relay, toggle, etc.
post #5 of 26 Old 05-30-2010, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Ha! that's cool Sas. Those are the same one's I am using. I only have two mounted at the rear. I need to move one up front or buy another set. I ran mine from the battery- using a lighted rocker switch and in-line fuse protection.

Note- I had a short issue. It was a terminal screw inside one of the lights. In case you have any problem with them cutting out, you might want to check there.

Thanks Stub, will keep that in mind if they ever start cutting out.
post #6 of 26 Old 05-30-2010, 10:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASQUATCH View Post

Looks awesome Goody, I plan on doing just that tomorrow actually, with a dedicated relay, toggle, etc.
Relay is the way to go with the halogens

Speaking of which, we need to do a another night run out here, it's been forever

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #7 of 26 Old 05-30-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Relay is the way to go with the halogens

Speaking of which, we need to do a another night run out here, it's been forever

What I need is a pic showing where you mounted the rears. I figure a pair needs it's own relay, so for two more pair that's two more relays, two more toggles...I need an SPOD...after West Texas Offroad hyd-assist...the list never freaking ends. I may just run a second set back there but will take your advice and strategically place them to help at least with the shadowing. Appreciate any non-illumated pics or tips as to where you placed them in the back.
post #8 of 26 Old 05-30-2010, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I think that 4 total is pretty sufficient- maybe not, but should make a hell of a dent on the trail. Two relays, two switches, four lights. Seems like enough....for me anyway.
post #9 of 26 Old 05-30-2010, 11:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

There is a really good factory supplied rear mount location, you just need to have the nuts to do it...

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #10 of 26 Old 05-31-2010, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
There is a really good factory supplied rear mount location, you just need to have the nuts to do it...
Huh?

Location?
post #11 of 26 Old 05-31-2010, 07:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Haha! You know the two studs where the ebrake cables were secured to the body tub back in the back, right there, other than that I would get some self tapping studs and pre drill a hole in the frame and use the self tapping bolts to secure the lights. If you need any help with wiring up the relay or need any electrical stuff I probably have it. I think a toggle switch that was a 3 position (on, 12v one way, and 12v another) would be a cool way to do it. Like on/off, on with switch 2 position, and switch 3 position would be to work with the interior lights like when you open the door or rotate the stalk switch for the interior light. Make sure you fuse it how ever you set it up and go for 12 ga wire for future light add ons. And if you wanted to get real creative you could throw a flasher relay inline with one of the switch positions and annoy everyone, blink, blink, blink. Lol

hope all is well with Holly and the kids, have a good memorial day!
post #12 of 26 Old 05-31-2010, 01:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to njjk08

looks good. I got the same ones. They will break really easily though but for $20 its no big deal. They fill up with water too. haha.

Chris.....

Building a BIGGER and BETTER Jeep
post #13 of 26 Old 05-31-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
looks good. I got the same ones. They will break really easily though but for $20 its no big deal. They fill up with water too. haha.
Thanks, yeah I saw the heat vents on the casing, knew they'd fill up, my main goal was to setup a nice wiring harness, which using the stock setup worked pefect.

Rob4607 big thanks for helping me rewire the windshield lights, nice to have them working again after Ron Carter tortured my wiring. Replacing the cheapo walmart Hella's with the IPFS lights I've had for over a year sitting in the garage. All new harnesses, toggles, etc, oh and the rear rock lights will go on this evening that spot you showed me will be perfect. I owe ya a cold one
post #14 of 26 Old 05-31-2010, 08:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Haha, no biggie! Whenever you need help wiring it all in let me know.

Also maybe hit up moparguy as I believe he is a dealer emoyee of some sort and may be able to get the locking clip for the tailgate lock cylinder on the cheap.

And to all you guys that have jks track bars make sure that you have the new version, it is alot straighter and is an inch shorter. I called David today of all days and he answered the phone to verify for sas that they still were doing the upgrades.
post #15 of 26 Old 06-10-2010, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Updated my 1st post with new pics for the rears, ditched the rear inner-fender wells, wish I'd done that a long time ago, real pleased with how they turned out. You can see the before with fronts & after with the rears.
post #16 of 26 Old 06-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Looks great Sas. Plenty of light under your rig. I still gotta do something on the front end.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #17 of 26 Old 06-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

On my list of projects after my sPOD gets here. Looks great monkey man

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #18 of 26 Old 06-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Rock God

Garage

I thought Sasquatches had night vision?

lol

Looks good bro, nice work
They water proof?

07 JK 2/DR Sahara, 35" Wrangler kevlar, 10k Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, 3" Black Diamond, CatBack Exhaust, RR Gen-1 Snorkel, too much more to list

Quote:
Welcome to JKOWNERS- Home of boobs, guns, meat, and Jeeps.
post #19 of 26 Old 06-13-2010, 11:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i love how it lights them boggers up:drool:

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #20 of 26 Old 06-13-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybrdng View Post
I thought Sasquatches had night vision?

lol

Looks good bro, nice work
They water proof?

Yeti's have ok night vision, but it's our extreme bacon olfactory senses that make us so night capable. They are just those $18 Burners from WalMart (55w H3s), not waterproof, primarily set them up for the wiring, did a jamup job on that so one day I'll find some good waterproof lights when these go out maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
i love how it lights them boggers up:drool:

Thanks, happens to be what I enjoy as well.
post #21 of 26 Old 06-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybrdng View Post
They water proof?
Although they are not technically water-proof, mine (same ones) have been subjected to plenty of water and are still fine = no water in the lens. I did remove the rubber boots and shoot some silicone/ RTV into them, where the wires went into the housing.

post #22 of 26 Old 06-13-2010, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Although they are not technically water-proof, mine (same ones) have been subjected to plenty of water and are still fine = no water in the lens. I did remove the rubber boots and shoot some silicone/ RTV into them, where the wires went into the housing.
That's a good idea with the silicon spray, will do mine. H3 bulbs are inexpensive if they do blow from water.

Hey are rock-lights illegal to run on the streets in TX? Buddy told me it was, just wanted to double check.

Last edited by SASQUATCH; 06-13-2010 at 08:33 PM.
post #23 of 26 Old 06-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASQUATCH View Post

Hey are rock-lights illegal to run in TX? Buddy told me it was, just wanted to double check.
Damn- now you're going to bring out my ricer/ poser side.

Ahem......I have been known occasionally.....um.....to run my rock lights on the street. But I swear......It's only so I didn't get rear-ended.....yea.....that's it. Has nothing to do with wanting to look cool or anything. (Hate you now Sas).

I haven't read the TXDOT laws on this, but I assure you....I live in a small town where they will go out of their way late at night to find any reason to pull you over. I've used the rock lights on the street over a dozen times, and have even had the local PD and DPS behind me when I did. They never pulled me over. I have no doubt that if the lights are positioned with the lens glaring at the driver behind you, that it would be a different story. With mine, you can just see the light output....not the actual light.

Now that I've posted this, I can assure you two things:

#1) I feel like a poser now.
#2) I will likely get pulled over next time.

post #24 of 26 Old 06-13-2010, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXROCK View Post
go with the sPOD....it has the toggles with relays and all wiring already set up. I am doing that with my hood light bar, fogs, DVD player, CB, etc. I plan on doing a rock light setup eventually and still have 2 rockers available to run them. I also got sPOD's circuit/battery protector.....basically shuts off power to everything if you turn the jeep off with everything powered Provided you leave it on long enough for the battery to drain down to 11.8V. This way you still have enough cranking amps/juice to start the Jeep.

Those are nice, just out of my price range right now.
post #25 of 26 Old 06-13-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Damn- now you're going to bring out my ricer/ poser side.

Ahem......I have been known occasionally.....um.....to run my rock lights on the street. But I swear......It's only so I didn't get rear-ended.....yea.....that's it. Has nothing to do with wanting to look cool or anything. (Hate you now Sas).

I haven't read the TXDOT laws on this, but I assure you....I live in a small town where they will go out of their way late at night to find any reason to pull you over. I've used the rock lights on the street over a dozen times, and have even had the local PD and DPS behind me when I did. They never pulled me over. I have no doubt that if the lights are positioned with the lens glaring at the driver behind you, that it would be a different story. With mine, you can just see the light output....not the actual light.

Now that I've posted this, I can assure you two things:

#1) I feel like a poser now.
#2) I will likely get pulled over next time.

@poser.

Ehh sure they pick their battles, imagine it's illegal to run them, will assume so for now. Police Officer passed me last night, he was driving at a normal speed (not on a mission). Only ran them a couple times at night trying them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode