Dbox Build Questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 12-15-2015, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Dbox Build Questions

I have decided to clean up my wiring and run everything (except subwoofer) through a DIY Dbox before installing LED reverse lights. For anyone unfamiliar with the Dbox here is a link to the youtube video.

It seems like a great way to safely reduce clutter and make installation and removal of auxiliary components a lot easier. Unfortunately I am having some difficulty determining the gauge size of wire required, as well as the correct fuse. The reverse lights I am going with are a low cost pair of 18w on amazon. So 18+18/12 = 3 amps, go to the graph for wire gauge selection and 18 will suffice, 15amp fuse between the battery and relay will make the fuse the weak point. So does this 15 mean that there is essentially 12 amps of safety between the aux draw and having an issue? This is where my trouble begins.

If I have 2 circuits going to this fuse box that pull 220W respectively, one pulling 36, and another pulling 500 for a total of 976W that works out to around 85amps to be safe. So the wire with the inline from the box to the battery should be 12gauge and my fuse should be 80? I have never heard of anybody using an 80 amp fuse and it seems excessive but the math seems to workout, unless of course I am missing something.

Since that one load is so large I will also need the wiring within that circuit to be 16gauge in a few different places as well, from the fusebox to the copper crimp where all of the circuits come together, from the output of the fuse box to the relay, from the relay to all its connections, and from the switch to its ground right? This circuit would also require a 40 amp fuse in the fuse box if I'm not mistaken. If there is something that I have overlooked or if the calculations I am using are incorrect please let me know. If it helps I can try to work out a diagram of how I am understanding this device to work as well as what the size of each component should be and explain why. Thanks for any input.

2007 4DR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-27-2015, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Bump

2007 4DR
post #3 of 3 Old 12-27-2015, 12:32 PM
Wheeler

I'll chime in since I built one of these boxes a while ago.

For mine, I chose to wire all of the components in the box with marine grade 14ga wire. So from the battery leads, to relays, to fuses, to output leads is all 14ga. The battery leads were marine grade 8ga wire. I wanted to have zero doubt in my mind that there would be an issue.

As for the fuse from the battery, they make re-settable breakers that you wire into your battery lead. (Link: http://www.amazon.com/Gauge-Manual-R...150amp+breaker)

As for the fuses for the individual fuses for each accessory, I put the fuse on the output wire coming from the fuse. So it would look like this:
Relay output-->fuse sized for accessory-->accessory

I hope that clears some things up, let me know if you have more questions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode