h/unit? sub?amp? box? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-27-2010, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
h/unit? sub?amp? box?

h?unit: in the 09 x with the sat single disc radio any pre outs to hook up a sub?

no? then i will need to replace my headunit. i would like to keep it with the aux port for ipod hookup and sat radio.recommend me one that isnt to much.

i see q tech has some head units plug and play but my freind does radio and stuff so i could just get a new headunit and have him wire it right?

Sub: i orignally planned a 12 in the stock sub range but my mom doesnt want me to get a 12.

im thinking two 10's. i want it to sound good but not annoyingly loud like some people unless i want it to.

Amp: i know ill need an amp to run the sub or subs. dont know much about these so i need some recommendations.

Box: i have a 2 dr so space is limited. idk how im gonna do it its gonna be in the rear.

i need to be able to use the cubby and id rather be able to put my back pack in the back.

ill prolly just fold the rear seat if i need more storage im gonna do the trunk enclosure be hind the becah and have it go down to the floor.

plywood ok?

Carpet?Rubber?other?

all ideas appreciated

i dont want to spend more than 550 on the sub amp and head unit altogether.
my dad will prolly supply the wood.

id rather not have to ship things. if yall know a store like best buy or something where i can go in and buy it or have them ship it their to pick up that would be great!!

i know its wordy and lengthy but im new to all this.ive done hometheater and pc stuff but not car/jeep audio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-28-2010, 07:37 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

All the "big-box" electronic stores have that kind of stuff in stock. They also do installs, but would definitely want to see some of their finished work.
I've also had great success with Crutchfield.com. Price is what you are willing to pay. Both places should have plug and play wiring harness. Root
post #3 of 10 Old 05-28-2010, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

alrite so i found a couple sets of speakers i like

Kicker - CompVR 12" Dual-Voice-Coil 2-Ohm Subwoofer
400 rms
800 peak
150$- start with one and if i want more boom i could go two
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kicker+-...&skuId=9894268

Kicker - Comp 12" Single-Voice-Coil 4-Ohm Subwoofer
150 rms
300 peak
99$- if i did these i would do two
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kicker+-...&skuId=9892921

Sony - Xplod 12" Single-Voice-Coil 4-Ohm Subwoofer
380 rms
1300 peak
109$- would do two as well
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+X...&skuId=9202481

Kenwood - 10" 4-Ohm Single-Voice-Coil Subwoofer
300 rms
1000 peak
109$- would do two
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kenwood+...&skuId=9231823

if yall could find some amps that will run them that would be good i dont know what the ohms things are,bridgeing and and all that jazz.its needs to be a two channel tho.

Last edited by TheBeatenPath; 05-28-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-28-2010, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

found a head unit.

Sony - Xplod 52W x 4 AppleŽ iPodŽ/HD Radio/Satellite Radio-Ready In-Dash Deck
was looking for a unit that supports the radio data and it was in many of the expensive ones but this one has it and its a great price.

just gotta get an amp to run whichever subs i decide to go with.

post #5 of 10 Old 05-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Just my opinion, and it doesn't count for much, I've been installing aftermarket stereos for years and you get what you pay for. Although a Sony deck says it is going to do the things you want it to, and it might, it will still sound like a Sony deck. Sony speakers I would highly recommend against, they don't sound very good, and don't last long. Buying a deck and components from a higher end brand WILL save you money in the long run. Stick with brands like Alpine, Boston Acoustics, Polk, and higher end Kenwoods, etc. If you buy a bargain brand like sony, JVC, Panasonic, etc, you will regret it.

To power the sub. Here is definately where you want to get the good amplifier. Although you can set an MTX 400w amp right next to a sony 400w amp and think they are going to put out the same amount of power, you are wrong. Cheaper brands will advertise their amps at peak power, not RMS. So, in other words a Sony amp that says its 400w is only going to put out around 280w fully loaded, while a Kicker or MTX amp that says 400w really is 400w. Last time I bought an MTX amp it came with a graph showing that amps power output from testing, you know what you are getting.

It doesn't really cost THAT much more to buy higher quality stuff, and it is WAY worth it in the end.

My setup:
Alpine CDA-9883 head unit with XM direct connect added
Alpine 220w amp (I know not much power, but it would surprise you how it sounds)
Alpine Type-E 10" sub in sealed box
on the way are the Polk DB6500 components all around. they sound awesome and the deck can run them without another amp.

My sig is HUGE in Japan
post #6 of 10 Old 05-28-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

the only reason i put the xplod sub upthere was because it had a good rms and peak for a good price. i hate the shape of them tho so i think ill mark em off the list.

i agree on the alpine stuff my moms durango has 4 alpine 8"subs 2 6"mids and a tweeter on every door its awesome.

the 12" version of that kenwood up there is the one i think im leaning towards the most.

400 rms 1200 peak. listened to em at best buy when i was there and they sounded great. didnt rattle or anything.

post #7 of 10 Old 05-28-2010, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

i have a complete system set up thats in my budget

its all kenwood

headunit: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113MP44...&tp=5684&avf=N

amp: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KAC8...tp=35834&avf=N

amp kit: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_211PSK0...i.html?tp=2919

Sub: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113W251...111&tab=review

i only have one question now.
i have an ipod mini and according to their charts my ipod wont integrate or something with the lists things. i can still plug it in and pick a song from the ipod right? and it will play?

post #8 of 10 Old 05-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Hmm, wouldn't think so. I don't know too much about Kenwood stuff though. I always stick with Alpine head units because of the fact of interconnectivity. I know for my Alpine I could use the Ipod cable to control the Ipod from the head unit, but if it was a mini like you have I would have to use the aux input to play it through the head unit. I personally don't use Ipod or apple anything, so I ran the aux cable from the rear of the head unit down to the little mesh pocket in the bottom of the dash and can run any mp3 player through the stereo. I hardly use it at all because I listen to XM 90% of the time. Only when I'm runnin trails in a vally and cant get constant radio reception do I use the MP3.

Sorry for the crappy pic, with the phone and it is dark out.

My sig is HUGE in Japan
post #9 of 10 Old 05-29-2010, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

well its fine if it doesnt ill prolly replace my ipod just because my mini is a dino i have about a million black discs i can put my library on for now.

i too usually listen to the radio but sometimes i like to pick a song or when your out of town and dont know the stations

post #10 of 10 Old 05-29-2010, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

changed head unit to an alpine.

i need a cheaper one to accomadate the price difference in a 8 and 4 gage amp kit.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDE1...2.html?tp=5684

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode