Enabling backup camera at the dealer? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 12-04-2015, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Question Enabling backup camera at the dealer?

I am going to have the backup camera enabled at the dealer and I understand that rear video can be enabled at the same time.

Questions:

What is the special tool called that they use to tweak the software bits?

Is this done through the OBD-II port?

Is there anything other than backup camera and rear video out that can be enabled?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 12-04-2015, 09:35 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
Questions:

What is the special tool called that they use to tweak the software bits?
StarSCAN tool? (I only quoted the question I thought I knew )

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 28 Old 12-04-2015, 09:53 PM
Granite Guru

I've read that the dealership CAN do this but the one I asked didn't know what I was talking about. I have since discovered that no matter what you ask them they don't know what you're talking about.

I recently bought a lockpick and although not the cheapest way to do this I think it might be the easiest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 12-04-2015, 09:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here is instructions http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/de...y-1064401.html

Dealer down here knew how to do it, but getting in and having to pay a full labor hour for a quick item turned me to the lock pick. I like the other functions lock pick has too so I went that route.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #5 of 28 Old 12-04-2015, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks guys.

I am contemplating the ALLGIG if I go that route because the lockpick won't work with a manual trans for the backup camera unless they finally worked that out.

I already have the video interface cable from amazon, which was less than half of what NAV TV charges for a similar harness. The allgig sans the AV harness is $290.
post #6 of 28 Old 12-22-2015, 08:04 PM

I have NavTool in my car its the only one that works with a manual transmissions
post #7 of 28 Old 12-22-2015, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

My local dealer wants $150 so that isn't terrible compared to the NavTV.

They would not enable it without the camera connected but I just received that the other day.
post #8 of 28 Old 01-14-2016, 08:35 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson View Post
I've read that the dealership CAN do this but the one I asked didn't know what I was talking about. I have since discovered that no matter what you ask them they don't know what you're talking about.
Oh, that was a great laugh for the morning. Thanks.
Most dealers really are just a pathetic storm of bullshit and deception
Although I liked one years back...NeSmith Chevy out of Claxton, GA. I bought my since sold GTO from them. They seemed to actually care. So, I didn't want to say that every dealer sucks, but most that I've ever dealt with did indeed suck.

I was searching for info on backup cameras, but I think I'll start a new post.
thx.
post #9 of 28 Old 12-11-2016, 09:59 AM
Granite Guru

Anyone know if there will be a conflict with an installed flashpaq while trying to get the dealer to do this for the camera?
post #10 of 28 Old 12-14-2016, 10:25 AM
Granite Guru

post #11 of 28 Old 12-14-2016, 01:41 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

AllGig from NAV-TV

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT26...t-harness.html

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #12 of 28 Old 12-22-2016, 06:47 PM
Wheeler

I'm taking my '16 JK to the dealership Jan 3rd for the "front impact sensor wire" recall (S76)and an oil change. I'm taking the instruction sheet for the rear camera setup with me and hope I get lucky with the service writer. All he can say is "NO" or "Pony Up". Keeping my fingers crossed.
post #13 of 28 Old 12-22-2016, 07:52 PM
Granite Guru

I had mine done a couple days ago. I had to bring the instructions to them and they were able to do it. Charged me a half hour labor.
BTW, the programming knocked out my Flashcal tune so I had to reinstall it afterward.
post #14 of 28 Old 12-23-2016, 06:56 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody48 View Post
I had mine done a couple days ago. I had to bring the instructions to them and they were able to do it. Charged me a half hour labor.
BTW, the programming knocked out my Flashcal tune so I had to reinstall it afterward.
FYI to all you should ALWAYS restore your tune if it is going to the dealership.
We have several guys in our club that work for the dealership and they tell us that is one of the biggest problems.
Theay will just assume you have no tune.

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #15 of 28 Old 12-25-2016, 07:34 PM
Granite Guru

Accident post
post #16 of 28 Old 01-27-2017, 06:10 PM
Wheeler

Arrived at the dealership for the recall fix. I asked the service writer chic if she was in a good mood and would "comp" me a reverse camera flash. She told me she wasn't in a good mood and that she had to charge me $100. I told her I'd take a pass.

About an hour later, she walked into the waiting room and told me she had experienced a change of heart and was going to throw it in. Told me not to tell anybody, so don't ask me where I had it done. When I go back for my last free oil change, I'll take her a gift card to a nice local restaurant.
Thunderbolt likes this.
post #17 of 28 Old 02-13-2017, 09:59 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I just got my dealer to enable mine today for free! Was quoted $45 over the phone and didn't even need an appointment, just showed up (on a Monday no less). I mentioned calling in, and that guy was gone today. The new guy said, "did he give you a price, or say he'd take care of it?" I didn't lie, and said, "yeah, I just bought this from you last month (used), so I was hoping you'd take care of it." Boom, done for free

2016 JKUR on 35s

History- 90 XJ, 98 TJ, 98 ZJ
post #18 of 28 Old 03-28-2017, 11:02 AM
Wheeler

Can anyone help me find the part number or link for the back-up camera? The g/f is purchasing a used 2015 with the upgraded head unit/radio and my understanding is I will either have to buy a locpic or take it to the dealer to have them enable the back-up camera feature. I have tried searching but came up empty.
post #19 of 28 Old 04-04-2017, 08:21 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasaw View Post
Arrived at the dealership for the recall fix. I asked the service writer chic if she was in a good mood and would "comp" me a reverse camera flash. She told me she wasn't in a good mood and that she had to charge me $100. I told her I'd take a pass.

About an hour later, she walked into the waiting room and told me she had experienced a change of heart and was going to throw it in. Told me not to tell anybody, so don't ask me where I had it done. When I go back for my last free oil change, I'll take her a gift card to a nice local restaurant.
Great idea! That what we call planting a seed.
I love it when regular people help one another.
Screw the stealership.

2011 JK Sport
Teraflex leveling kit
LT 295/70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers
post #20 of 28 Old 05-07-2017, 09:38 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
I'm taking my '16 JK to the dealership Jan 3rd for the "front impact sensor wire" recall (S76)and an oil change. I'm taking the instruction sheet for the rear camera setup with me and hope I get lucky with the service writer. All he can say is "NO" or "Pony Up". Keeping my fingers crossed.
Did you have luck getting them to flash your 2016?
I spoke to one of the local dealers in DFW area, and he said they do not have the ability to flash it because Chrysler changed some computer settings and the bus or something wont allow it. He did spend some time checking, or went and had a cup of coffee.
I have a 16' and already installed the camera, he said I would need to go buy whatever BestBuy sells to fix it up.
Thanks
post #21 of 28 Old 05-08-2017, 05:20 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
Quote:
Did you have luck getting them to flash your 2016?
I spoke to one of the local dealers in DFW area, and he said they do not have the ability to flash it because Chrysler changed some computer settings and the bus or something wont allow it. He did spend some time checking, or went and had a cup of coffee.
I have a 16' and already installed the camera, he said I would need to go buy whatever BestBuy sells to fix it up.
Thanks
I had the dealer activate it when I paid to upgrade from the 130RES to the 430RBZ. It was part of an add-on I paid for at purchase. They claim they did that for free, but with what I paid just to swap the stereos, I'm convinced they made their money.
post #22 of 28 Old 05-08-2017, 09:22 PM
Wheeler

I found another dealer that says they can do it for an hour labor ($100). I'm thinking there shouldn't be a problem on my 2106 if they could do a 2012-14. If Chrysler just popped in a minivan radio, it would cost them money to remove capability from it. I'll report back when I get a chance to get it in there when the tech is available.
post #23 of 28 Old 05-16-2017, 10:25 PM
Wheeler

YEAH! The second dealer was able to flash the software. Apparently, they(the dealership) have to have bought some other component to be able to add it in. My sahara is a 2016 and he said he does tons of these cameras. Now it is coded to the Vin and shown in the system as part of my jeep. It is a great and reasonably cheap Mod to do. My daughter will be driving this so the extra view is very helpful with a larger wheel/tire combo hanging off the back end.
post #24 of 28 Old 05-17-2017, 04:50 AM
Wheeler

ive got a 2015 willys. Is the camera already there and all I have to do is have it activated or do I need to purchase the camera? If so where are you getting them?
post #25 of 28 Old 05-17-2017, 03:57 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
ive got a 2015 willys. Is the camera already there and all I have to do is have it activated or do I need to purchase the camera? If so where are you getting them?
You have to purchase them. I bought mine from Brandmotion's website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode