truck lights in snow - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-01-2015, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Unhappy truck lights in snow

Well I decided to be a cheap SOB and get the non heated truck lites due to the fact it was an extra 160$ for only 3 months out of the year they may be useful. I live in northern indiana and our winters are nowhere near what they used to be. We get a few good ones but not many and most is fluffy lake effect. Have read many mixed emotions about them freezing. Did I screw up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-01-2015, 06:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestlife View Post
Well I decided to be a cheap SOB and get the non heated truck lites due to the fact it was an extra 160$ for only 3 months out of the year they may be useful. I live in northern indiana and our winters are nowhere near what they used to be. We get a few good ones but not many and most is fluffy lake effect. Have read many mixed emotions about them freezing. Did I screw up?
I have thousands of miles in blizzard conditions with my gen2 trucklites.
I will tell you that I HATE them in winter conditions.
When I got mine there was no heat option.
If I could respend the money I would get heated ones in a heart beat.

Info:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-01-2015, 07:21 PM
Wheeler

I got the heated trucklites. I'm sure I will soon get to test them in snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-01-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Not what I was hoping to hear hahahaha
post #5 of 9 Old 12-01-2015, 09:24 PM
JKO Addict!

I've got the regular truck lites and don't feel they're any worse than a regular halogen bulb in snowy conditions. Conventional wisdom says that LED's don't emit as much heat as a halogen bulb so naturally they won't perform as well in snowy conditions. I don't know, I've halogen headlights develop a snowy/icy layer in heavy wet snow just like I've had my Truck lites ice up in similar conditions. Hell when I measured the heat output of my Truck lites to the HID's on my buddies Ram on a 32° day (no snow) and they both measured in at 42°.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-02-2015, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

That's what I wanted to hear. Especially from a fellow midwest inhabitant. My snow here is mostly lake effect which doesn't stick to much but the greound.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-02-2015, 01:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestlife View Post
That's what I wanted to hear. Especially from a fellow midwest inhabitant. My snow here is mostly lake effect which doesn't stick to much but the greound.
All of my millage was in the Sierra Nevadas. The snow there has high water content and sticks to everything. I never had a problem with my stock headlights but both my gen1 and gen2 truck lites collected snow like crazy.

In a dry snow conditions I don't think this is an issue.

Info:

|
post #8 of 9 Old 12-05-2015, 08:25 PM
Wheeler

Ohio resident had trucklites for about 3 years now. I hate them in winter. I have this thing where I don't enjoy stopping on a busy snow coated highway to get out and wipe/scratch off snow and ice so I can see the road again.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-08-2015, 08:32 PM
Granite Guru

I'm in Connecticut. Definitely had a couple times where the lights got completely covered in snow and they were useless. I kept my stock fog/driving lights though which I found gave off as much light as the stock headlights so I just flick those on when it's really coming down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode