Why are my KC's screwing up my TIPM - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 11-28-2015, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Why are my KC's screwing up my TIPM

Back in 2013 I had an instance where my JK had no electrical power- zero, nothing at all. And I could hear a rapid clicking noise coming from the TIPM. Had it towed to a dealer, and they said the TIPM was sensing a draw and shut down the Jeep. Disconnected the KC's and everything returned to normal.

My KC's are not wired into the stock fogs. They are on their own circuit with their own switch, relay and fuse. They were not on at the time. They had been on the Jeep for 5+ years at the time, and no problems prior to that. I assumed that the relay went bad. I just left them disconnected for over a year. 6 months ago I finally got around to buying a new relay and hooked them up.

Thanksgiving day, we went out to the Jeep to head to my sister's house. Turned the key, and there it was again- zero electric to anything, and the rapid clicking noise coming from the TIPM. Disconnected the KC's, and all was good again.

I'm no electrical wiz, and can't wrap my head around why the KC's would cause the TIPM to sense a draw and shut down. How is there any draw when they have a switch and relay? And why does that happen just at random? Can anyone shed some light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-28-2015, 11:12 PM
Random Dude

Are your KCs completely separated from the JK's electrical system?
  1. Power and gound to switch and control side of relay coming from battery?
  2. Power and ground to load side of relay and lights coming from battery?
If so, your lights shouldn't affect your TIPM at all.

Sorry if I'm grasping at the obvious, but pics or a diagram would help to understand where you're hooked up.

Also, what are your KCs (100W halogen, LED, etc.)?

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 4 Old 11-29-2015, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Yes, completely separate, exactly as you described. I'm not electrical savvy enough to do attempt to tie into anything else. So when I wired the up, I ran all the wires direct- the only way I knew how.

And that is why this situation is so confusing. Makes no sense that the TIPM would see any draw. But that is the conclusion the dealer came to, which fixed the issue back in 2013, and again this week. It's also confusing that it just randomly happens. You would think that if there was any draw for the TIPM to sense, it would see it all the time, or when the lights are on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Rock God

Garage

So it is wired in parallel with the circuit. Ive heard of it happening when wires touch and having to do with the small magnetic field around live wires.

Thats all i got.

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode