IPF H4 conversion questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-19-2015, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

IPF H4 conversion questions

I'm trying to convert the headlights in my '11 Jk to Halogen lights. I have the IPF H4 housings, and the PIAA Extreme White Plus (60/55W) bulbs. I'm still looking for a harness but I'm finding mixed information. I've seen a few posts saying the plastic harnesses get too hot and melt. I've also seen ceramic harnesses mentioned.
Has anyone had luck with this set up? Do I need a special adaptor harness or will any H13-H4 harness work? I was thinking about ordering the KC highlights harness as it's pretty inexpensive.
Any info or tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2011 JKU Rubi
2.5" RK Max Travel
35/12.5/17 Pro Comp MT
35/12.5 /17 Duratracs
Poison Spyder Evap Skid
Paramount front and rear bumpers
VKS Rocksliders
Fox 2.0 shocks
Recon 10,000lb Winch
Vision X Rock lights
Cobra 75
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-19-2015, 09:34 PM
Rock God

I would believe just the harness would work Ron. The only time my harness melted us when I was using a larger wattage bulb the 60 /55 is what is stock I believe so you should be good with just the h13-h4 conversion harness

VE7 ESH
post #3 of 9 Old 11-19-2015, 09:39 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubichronic View Post
I'm trying to convert the headlights in my '11 Jk to Halogen lights. I have the IPF H4 housings, and the PIAA Extreme White Plus (60/55W) bulbs. I'm still looking for a harness but I'm finding mixed information. I've seen a few posts saying the plastic harnesses get too hot and melt. I've also seen ceramic harnesses mentioned.
Has anyone had luck with this set up? Do I need a special adaptor harness or will any H13-H4 harness work? I was thinking about ordering the KC highlights harness as it's pretty inexpensive.
Any info or tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
IMHO, the H13-H4 adapter harness is a bad idea, but I ran one for a little while. If you do that, stick to near-stock wattage bulbs.

Best is to make or buy a harness that uses the stock wiring to trigger relays that supply clean battery power to your headlight bulbs.

Something like THIS HARNESS will allow you to get full output out of any wattage bulbs and not burn shit up.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-19-2015, 11:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
IMHO, the H13-H4 adapter harness is a bad idea, but I ran one for a little while. If you do that, stick to near-stock wattage bulbs.

Best is to make or buy a harness that uses the stock wiring to trigger relays that supply clean battery power to your headlight bulbs.

Something like THIS HARNESS will allow you to get full output out of any wattage bulbs and not burn shit up.
Um, yes, what the other ex mechanic guy said. Oh, and I'm also a hair club member. I have the previous version of that harness (with the relays versus the circuit board). It even has a trigger connector that plugs right into your H13 plug in the jeep. No wires to cut.

Can I suggest getting some e-code housings? I read great things about the Hella and Cibie. I have also run both and prefer the Cibies slightly more.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-20-2015, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
re: IPF H4 conversion questions

i run these on my Delta Tech E spec 7" H4 conversion headlamps; no issue[s] just best if you don't run higher than rated halogen bulbs ....
i did zip-tie the adapter to the connector to ensure it didn't get jostled-off on rocks....
http://amzn.com/B009EVJC3C

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-20-2015, 09:19 PM
Random Dude

I forgot to mention: upgrading to straight battery power via relays will make any bulbs perform better than they do with PWM-tarded power.
While not crucial if you're not stepping up in wattage, decent wiring and clean power make stock-wattage bulbs better, too.
HOW & WHY RELAYS MAKE YOUR HEADLIGHTS NOT SUCK (LINK)
You don't absolutely need to upgrade if staying at stock wattage but, in comparison, the factory setup does nuzzle donkey balls.

Also, just so everyone's clear,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubichronic View Post
I'm trying to convert the headlights in my '11 Jk to Halogen lights.

The factory JK headlights are halogen lights (just shitty, cost-saving H13 ones ).

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #7 of 9 Old 11-20-2015, 09:32 PM
Rock God

Garage

Great info from ExWrench and White13JKUR. Also, I've always had a great experience with Susquehanna Motorsports. Before LEDs became the rage, they were my go-to source for Hella 4000s and 4000 compacts.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #8 of 9 Old 11-20-2015, 11:35 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
Can I suggest getting some e-code housings? I read great things about the Hella and Cibie. I have also run both and prefer the Cibies slightly more.
+1 on RallyLights/SMS harness and Cibie or Hella E-Codes. I prefer Hellas.

Gonna throw in Osram Rallye 70/65 bulbs in tomorrow. Dislike the blue tint on Osram Night Breaker Unlimited and Phillips Xtreme Vision when using high beams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
First, take a 50/50 water/alcohol solution and douche all the sand out of your vagina. Seriously, you gotta get that nozzle ALL the way to the cervix since it sounds as though your vajayjay is completely blocked with a silica compound.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-21-2015, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well thanks for all the information. At this point I think I'm going to return the IPF and PIAA parts I have now. For what this stuff cost up here, I can return it and call SMS or another place and order a complete kit, delivered, for less.
Thanks again for the info.

2011 JKU Rubi
2.5" RK Max Travel
35/12.5/17 Pro Comp MT
35/12.5 /17 Duratracs
Poison Spyder Evap Skid
Paramount front and rear bumpers
VKS Rocksliders
Fox 2.0 shocks
Recon 10,000lb Winch
Vision X Rock lights
Cobra 75
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode