Changing up my audio system.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 11-14-2015, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Changing up my audio system....

Pardon me. I am a recovering audiophile and have changed up my jeep’s stereo a couple of times now. I think that I may have finally found nirvana (for a jeep!). I have had some pretty esoteric stereo gear at home and in the car in the past and really see no place for this in the jeep but we still need great tunes.

What I started with was the factory Alpine system with separate tweeters and a sub. I swapped out the 4 main speakers for the Kicker 77KICK10 upgrade. That was okay but I gave up a little mid-bass and volume because I plugged 4 ohm speakers into the Alpine system designed for 2 ohms.

At the same time, I damped the speaker enclosure (fronts, sound bar and sub enclosure) with Hushmat and stuffed them with some Polyfil.

The system sounded decent but it lacked a little clarity and mid bass and then I found the details of the PRS mod that folks are doing to the factory systems. I was mostly there with the alpine speakers in damped/stuffed enclosures.

Fast forward to the other day….
I swapped out the Kickers back to the factory Alpines with the blue cones and replaced the OEM Alpine subwoofer with a Pioneer TS-SW2002D2. I also cut off the material covering the OEM Alpine speakers with a razor blade, hoping for an undesirable increase in clarity.

The other part of the PRS mod is to remove the original capacitors from the factory tweeters and to replace them with different values. On the Alpine system, that would be 6.8uf capacitors. I took that a step further and used audiophile grade polypropylene capacitors. The problem is that they are humungous compared to what you might otherwise swap in. I just remote mounted the capacitors and it worked fine. See pics.

Anyway, I will need a week or more to see if I like this but so far, so good and I am pleased. While I did not do an A-B comparison between the polypropylene capacitors and some cheap thing you get at rat shack or fry’s, these caps seem to sound pretty good. Very clean and not overly bright.

Unmodified tweeter next to modified tweeter for comparison.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 11-14-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-14-2015, 04:48 PM
Granite Guru

I got pretty excited about your mods and was thinking about doing the same to my tweets...

...then remembered I have the Infinity stuff (2012). Any idea if they are the same?
post #3 of 3 Old 11-14-2015, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson View Post
I got pretty excited about your mods and was thinking about doing the same to my tweets...

...then remembered I have the Infinity stuff (2012). Any idea if they are the same?
At a minimum, there is still value in damping the stock enclosures (two in the front, sound bar, plus the sub) as well as stuffing them with a light pack of polyfil.

You can still change the stock 3.3uf capacitors on yours but you use a different value because your system uses 4ohm drivers versus 2ohm, like the Alpine. I think you want to use 10uf caps on yours. Amazon or PartsExpress has the Dayton Audio poly caps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode