Headlight Issues - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-21-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Headlight Issues

Lately I've been having some intermittent issues with the headlights on my Jeep. Sometimes I turn them on and it takes a couple seconds before they come on, other times they won't go off when I turn them off (they will kick off when I turn the Jeep off though). This issues started after this incident, https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27904 I really don't know where to start to try and troubleshoot this either. Since it's such a random thing I'm at a loss on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2008 JK X - Jeep Green, 6spd, Home Made Stubby Bumper, MasterCraft Grab Handles, Husky Floor Mats
1995 YJ - Anemic 4 cylinder, 5spd SOLD
1969 CJ5 - Ran into the ground and left for dead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Rock God

I would take it to the stealership if is still under warranty. And the cup holder mod on the rear bumper is cool. Check relays and fuses. Also check the conectors to the headlights. If none of that comes up as corroded conectors or something else then get a meter and start troubleshooting.

JKOutcast Member
post #3 of 8 Old 05-21-2010, 03:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

might try disconnecting the battery overnight
the headlights are routed through the computer so sometimes a computer "reset" will fix oddball problems

probably wont fix it since it started after the fire extinguisher incident, but its free & easy to try

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-22-2010, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

My warranty just expired so this will be something I figure out. So far it seems to be only the headlight switch and not something else so it shouldn't be too hard to track down. I suppose worse case scenario is I would replace the headlight switch.

I'm going to unplug the battery and reset the computer to see if that helps any. I need to dig through the service manual and see if the switch comes apart, it may just need to be cleaned out.

I got the rear bumper from another member of the forum, it works great for tailgating. I'm going to replace it soon with something not plastic so it'll be up for grabs (FREE) sometime this summer.

Thanks for the ideas.

2008 JK X - Jeep Green, 6spd, Home Made Stubby Bumper, MasterCraft Grab Handles, Husky Floor Mats
1995 YJ - Anemic 4 cylinder, 5spd SOLD
1969 CJ5 - Ran into the ground and left for dead
post #5 of 8 Old 06-27-2010, 03:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You ever figure this out? Mine started doing something similar today. The headlights will randomly turn on when running and when they turn on, the turn signals and wipers won't work. They also turn off when I shut the engine off. Under normal operation, they should stay on for 30 seconds?

I'm thinking maybe clock spring, but don't know. Anybody got any ideas?
post #6 of 8 Old 06-27-2010, 06:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Found this when searching the interweb. Mine hasn't been wet recently, but the symptoms are the same. It appears not to be related to the clock spring from what I've found. In my case it appears to be either a relay or loose connection somewhere. The lights will randomly toggle on and off in as little as a few seconds or as long as 15 minutes. I have to drive with my lights on so I don't go around flashing everybody.

Ima take it apart tomorrow.

Here's a link to a thread I found:
http://www.links4jeeps.com/forum/swb...7t-electrical/

Clickfree solution from the above link:
Well got lucky. The work was under warranty and the problem turned out to be a "malfunction switch" (which I suspect is a "malfunctioning" switch) a.k.a. relay in the steering wheel column. The relay ties into the turn signal arm on the steering wheel and controls high beam/low beam, headlights, and turn signals as well as interior and dash lighting. When this relay switch gets wet (which apparently was the issue), it can cause all sorts of things to happen to your lights, blinkers, etc..., like where my headlamps came on immediately upon starting the vehicle, and no "clicking sound" or blinking lights for turn signals. The hazards worked fine though, of course they're on a different relay switch.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-28-2010, 10:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Anybody got any idea where this switch/relay is located? I've got the covers off of the column, but I can't figure out which component to check.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-28-2010, 07:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Fixed mine.

Turned out to be the malfunction switch like the guy's above. It is actually a malfunction switch and not a malfunctioning switch. It is built into the multifunction switch for the lights and turn signal. The FSM actually calls the whole assembly a malfunction switch.

Apparently what happens is that the malfunction switch either legitimately or illegitimately reports a problem and the computer puts the lights in fail safe mode and disables the left multifunction switch. This in turn disables the right side windshield wiper switch which feeds directly into the left side switch.

The part lists for $67 msrp according to the online parts places. They sell them for $45. I just went to the dealer and it ended up only being $32.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode