Aux. Lights combined into skid plate - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-06-2015, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Aux. Lights combined into skid plate

A few weeks ago while randomly clicking through the internet, I found an interesting Aux. light mount. Basically it replaced the "tray" below the front bumper, which angles towards the front axle. The item I found replaces this plastic item with a metal unit. But into this metal unit were three spot/flood lights installed pointing forward, as well as two rock lights pointing sideways.
Unfortunately forgot to take note who made it, or where I saw it.
Does this unit sound familiar to anybody here? Has anyone seen this somewhere on the net?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-06-2015, 10:53 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by donrolandofurioso View Post
A few weeks ago while randomly clicking through the internet, I found an interesting Aux. light mount. Basically it replaced the "tray" below the front bumper, which angles towards the front axle. The item I found replaces this plastic item with a metal unit. But into this metal unit were three spot/flood lights installed pointing forward, as well as two rock lights pointing sideways.
Unfortunately forgot to take note who made it, or where I saw it.
Does this unit sound familiar to anybody here? Has anyone seen this somewhere on the net?
Sounds like an efficient way to destroy 5 lights if you wheel in rocks (or a "sick" accent piece on a bro truck or mall crawler).

I strongly suggest not trying to locate, purchase, and use that item if you plan to wheel your Jeep.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 13 Old 11-08-2015, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to have a closer look at it before disappeared inTO the endless space of the internet again, but iirc that light mount mimicked the shape of the factory unit, just with a linear slant in the front, meaning it would stick out even less than the factory piece. The lights were recessed a bit. If built heavy enough, this could actually work as a slider to help lifting the front end over ledges and rocks, not unlike some of the roller set-ups available out there.
For me off-roadability is not much of a concern (on my '15JK; for hard wheeling I have a '98 TJ), as my JK spends the vast majority of its time on pavement. I use it for work, and I routinely drive the entire night through areas where wild-life collisions are normal. There is no such thing as too much light for me; however, here many jurisdictions are actually enforcing the law that no aux. lights may be mounted higher than the OEM headlights, so all those set-ups that use mounts on the hood, the bottom of the windshield or the top windshield frame are off-limits to me. I already have two flood lights hanging below a hoop bar on top of the front bumper. My vanity does not allow me to mount more lights in front of that iconic grille, and of course square or rectangular lights are off-limits, as well. That tray/approach plate seems to meet many of my wants and needs, and that is why I would like to have a second, closer look at it....if I ever find it again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-11-2015, 03:09 AM
Rock God

Garage

Those are some sucky light laws. Where is "here?"

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #5 of 13 Old 11-12-2015, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Here is Manitoba, Canada. But that law is not uncommon and can found in many jurisdictions - it just doesn't get enforced everywhere. Interestingly enough, it was the Jeep owners who brought that issue to the forefront. Between the Liberty Renegade with its roof-mounted lights, and the Wrangler (mainly the JK) with aux. lights mounted very high drew the ire of the public at large when Jeep owners drove around with those lights blasting into oncoming traffic.
once again a case where a few spoiled apples ruined the entire pie for everybody.
I personally don't mind roof-mounted aux. lights. However, the mounting location at the bottom of the windshield does not make sense to me. Between the light reflection on the hood, and the extremely bright area right at the beginning of your field of vision it may be acceptable during slow-speed trail driving, but for highway travel having lights in that place seems counter-productive to me.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-13-2015, 08:46 AM
Granite Guru

Are you talking about this?

Delta Lights Combo Ground Bar

I don't do any "real" wheeling, but it sure looks like a great way to break some expensive lights. Just rocks or other debris on the road would be a hazard...

Chase

2013 Billet Silver JKU Sport S, 6-Speed, TF Leveling Kit, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, 285/70R17 Firestone Destination M/Ts on OEM Sport wheels.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-13-2015, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Those are the ones! Look slightly different than I remembered; I thought it would be more like a skid plate. Definitely sticking out too far for heavy wheeling. But realistically any flying rock can take care of any light, although this low position does make it a bit more likely to happen.
The price is definitely also a bit higher than what I seem to remember. maybe not excessive for seven lights, wiring and an unique mount, but still a fair chunk of change...I'll put it on my Christmas wish list. And since nobody buys anything for me, I guess my JK has to make a bit more money before I can justify that expense for a fancy set of lights.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-14-2015, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
....realistically any flying rock can take care of any light,...
whatchu-talkin' bout, Willis?

I aint afrain o'no flyin' rocks......

post #9 of 13 Old 11-14-2015, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrien View Post
Are you talking about this?

Delta Lights Combo Ground Bar

I don't do any "real" wheeling, but it sure looks like a great way to break some expensive lights. Just rocks or other debris on the road would be a hazard...
that maybe the dumbest concept for a lightbar location that I've yet to have seen .

post #10 of 13 Old 11-15-2015, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Why is that? Fact is that most light bars or mounting brackets currently offered for the JK place the aux. lights into a position that s illegal to have on the road in most jurisdictions in North America. I already said that my JK is mostly driven on the highway, so all of those fancy hood-mounted or windshield-mounted lights don't do anything for me. in addition, fog lights need to be as low as possible to work as intended. So why is that such a bad light mount?
post #11 of 13 Old 11-15-2015, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Why is that? Fact is that most light bars or mounting brackets currently offered for the JK place the aux. lights into a position that s illegal to have on the road in most jurisdictions in North America. I already said that my JK is mostly driven on the highway, so all of those fancy hood-mounted or windshield-mounted lights don't do anything for me. in addition, fog lights need to be as low as possible to work as intended. So why is that such a bad light mount?

are those glass lenses or composite ? Flying debris on tarmac will break what I will hazard to guess is a plus-$500 bar of lights and first time you are behind anyone where both of you are running through a muddy, street pothole , if you following your lighting will get dirty.
i guess i'd inherently be concerned about installing any light-bar in a location that Jeep JK designers decided to specifically locate a frame component named ' bash-bar' in ....just me.....heck, delta tech refers to them as a skid-plate for rocks!

just curious as to WHY the oem driving light or upgrade would not just be upgraded to a better beam/light pattern ?

just looked 'em up ; $750 ?!.
Delta Technology states that it "... can even be used as a skidplate for your steering box..." .....My mistake!
they appear to be a great idea for replacing the air valence ...

post #12 of 13 Old 11-15-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

"are those glass lenses or composite ?"
Good question...I don't seem top find any info on that.
The price is certainly a major issue here...and you brought up a good point. Maybe I should look into upgrading the factory lights.
Does anyone have real-world experience with upgraded headlights and/or up graded fog lights?
post #13 of 13 Old 11-15-2015, 09:05 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
Delta Technology states that it "... can even be used as a skidplate for your steering box..." .....My mistake!
they appear to be a great idea for replacing the air valence ...

What is this is a TJ ? how does that protect the steering box on a JK ?

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode