LED tail light blinking every 30 seconds or so - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 11-01-2015, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage
LED tail light blinking every 30 seconds or so

I'm perplexed...

My passenger side tail light blinks at about 30 second intervals when the Jeep is sitting. I have the original OEM plugs cut off and the LEDs are soldered on along with an ORO plate light and third brake light. I have removed the resistors and covered the bare wires where they were tapped in and it is still happening.

Any ideas? My next order of business is to get factory plugs soldered back on to the harness or replace the harness completely and use the new plug and play harnesses from PSC just to eliminate a bad ground or connection. All of the lights are working as they should be aside from the blinking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 11-01-2015, 09:19 PM
Wheeler

Don't you NEED resistors with LED's?
post #3 of 30 Old 11-01-2015, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

The resistors make your turn signals blink at a normal speed.

It HAS resistors in it. I removed them to see if that might be the fault. It appears that the Jeep is "searching" for the tail light back there and sending the pulse trying to locate it. The more I've dug into it the more I believe that I have a wiring harness issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 11-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Wheeler

Gotcha. Maybe just a loose wire/bad solder/bad bulb connection? I like to look for the simplest explanation first.
post #5 of 30 Old 11-01-2015, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Thats what I've been thinking too, but I have swapped the lights side to side and its still doing it.

The Jeep just got back to me recently from having Line-X sprayed and a custom cage put in which involved stripping the thing down to a bare tub. I'm sure something could have gotten pinched or disrupted in that process so I've been working backward slowly.

post #6 of 30 Old 11-01-2015, 09:42 PM
Wheeler

Well poop, that opens up a big ole can of worms. Wish I could have been of help. One last thought, clock spring?
post #7 of 30 Old 11-01-2015, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Thank you for trying!

I just replaced the clock spring along with the entire dash. LOL Talk about a can of worms right?

post #8 of 30 Old 11-01-2015, 09:47 PM

A few of the guys in our group have LED tail lights. After the Jeep sits for a while, when you open the door their passenger tail lights blink. Not sure what causes it, but no problems have come up because of it.
post #9 of 30 Old 11-01-2015, 09:50 PM
Wheeler

Wink

Screw it, just paint two red circles back there! Bad flasher? Do new vehicles even have them?
post #10 of 30 Old 11-01-2015, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason mac View Post
A few of the guys in our group have LED tail lights. After the Jeep sits for a while, when you open the door their passenger tail lights blink. Not sure what causes it, but no problems have come up because of it.
Mine always did this too. Now its doing that same flash, but every 30 seconds or so. I disconnect the battery when I'm not out there. I don't want her to self destruct after all this work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycle matt View Post
Screw it, just paint two red circles back there! Bad flasher? Do new vehicles even have them?
No flasher in the JK.

post #11 of 30 Old 11-02-2015, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason mac View Post
yup. I have run that Rockridge LED taillight kit since the first week it was offered ( yeah, I know they took the idea from another forum member supposedly, if memory serves me ) and even doubling-up resistors as well as totally replacing the resistors and re-grounding them did nada to eliminate the door open / door shut passenger tail light flash on my '11 JKUr .
Marcus , did they remove the ground connections when bedlining it and reattach to lined body , maybe ? I had heard that not only are the pssgr/drive taillights on seperate signals but that they were not pulse-width modulated as well ... very strange

post #12 of 30 Old 12-14-2015, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I'm still going crazy over this. I replaced the interior wiring harness and then got Poison Spyder's plug and play harnesses for the tail lights and back up lights. Even went so far as to replace the TIPM and it's still doing it.

I can't figure it out. Anyone else have this issue??

post #13 of 30 Old 12-14-2015, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I ran the stop watch and clicked lap every time it blinked for a few minutes. 45 seconds between flashes. I'm thinking it is the system searching for a tail light.

Pulled the tail light fuses, but there is no way to disable the flashers, so its got a constant power regardless of the tail lamps working or not.

Took the TruckLites out just to see if that could be it, as they are the only other aftermarket light on the Jeep. Still flashing every 45 seconds.

I don't think this could be my power draw because it killed a gel cell deep cycle battery in less than 48 hours three times now. The last time it was so dead that the dash lights didn't even come on when the key was turned.

post #14 of 30 Old 12-15-2015, 08:50 AM
Wheeler

Just a thought.. have you tried plugging a regular harness in and a regular bulb to see if it still does it?
post #15 of 30 Old 12-15-2015, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratim View Post
Just a thought.. have you tried plugging a regular harness in and a regular bulb to see if it still does it?
I'm going to try to get my hands on a stock tail light, but I'm pretty confident it has everything to do with the LED/resistor and the computer not recognizing it as a bulb back there. lol

post #16 of 30 Old 12-16-2015, 12:01 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
I'm going to try to get my hands on a stock tail light, but I'm pretty confident it has everything to do with the LED/resistor and the computer not recognizing it as a bulb back there. lol
Yeah I'm sure that's prolly it. Was just thinking the stock one would narrow down whether or not it was a wiring issue or the bulbs.
Seperate issue, but I have led bulbs in my stock housings that are supposed to act like normal, but I still get the fast blinker. Only when I use the signal though.
post #17 of 30 Old 12-16-2015, 06:27 PM
JKowners Vendor

one of the ground wires left loose after the lineX install?

you could do a voltage drop test on the ground wire and be able to tell.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
post #18 of 30 Old 01-15-2016, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

A strange twist...I put stock tail lights in the Jeep last night and pulled the bulbs out and stared at them. Sure enough...its BARELY lighting the element every 45 seconds. LOL

This is crazy.

post #19 of 30 Old 01-15-2016, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
A strange twist...I put stock tail lights in the Jeep last night and pulled the bulbs out and stared at them. Sure enough...its BARELY lighting the element every 45 seconds. LOL

This is crazy.
ok. this went from 'rather-curious' to flat-out strange if you're seeing it via an OEM analog bulb, Marcus. wtf?
I was gonna suggest doubling the resistors ( I am gonna do so in mine for the weird door-shut flash and ongoing fast flash turn signal on pssgr side only [properly resisted and grounded]) but your issue just went to the truly bizaar ....

post #20 of 30 Old 01-15-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
ok. this went from 'rather-curious' to flat-out strange if you're seeing it via an OEM analog bulb, Marcus. wtf?
I was gonna suggest doubling the resistors ( I am gonna do so in mine for the weird door-shut flash and ongoing fast flash turn signal on pssgr side only [properly resisted and grounded]) but your issue just went to the truly bizaar ....
Agreed! I was convinced it was something with the LED setup, but this just threw that out the window. Ill upload the video to YouTube just so you all can be mesmerized with me. Ha ha!

post #21 of 30 Old 01-15-2016, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Agreed! I was convinced it was something with the LED setup, but this just threw that out the window. Ill upload the video to YouTube just so you all can be mesmerized with me. Ha ha!
I know you are waaaay out-of-the-realm of stock with Ol'Tink, but you don't think anything that was bypassed during the dash reassembly or possibly the opposite ,where it is inactive at present but 'thinks' it is still a feature could still be attempting to function at default settings?
what I mean is something like the 'Windows Down option after the vehicle is exited and doors locked' remaining active unless stipulated by the user by programing a different time .....
<from the owner manual>

"For vehicles equipped with the EVIC, the power
window switches will remain active for up to 10 minutes
after the ignition switch is turned to the LOCK
position. Opening either front door will cancel this
feature. The time for this feature is programmable.
Refer to “Electronic Vehicle Information Center
(EVIC)/Personal Settings (Customer-Programmable
Features)” in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel”
for further information.."

a long shot but just trying to consider what computer controlled function would pulse at that increment of time ....

post #22 of 30 Old 10-14-2016, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Well... I finally have the answer.

While chasing this and an electrical draw that was killing a deep cell battery overnight I have replaced the interior wiring harness, swapped to plug and play PSC harnesses, replaced the TIPM, and had it with two or three different people trying to find the draw.

I finally broke down and left it with a friend of mine at Just Jeeps here in Austin and they figured it out. It was the damn gauge cluster. The draw and the flash both go away with the fuse pulled on the gauge cluster. Unbelievable....

post #23 of 30 Old 10-17-2016, 08:56 AM
Rock God

Marcus, not familiar with your dash swap, but was the same cluster reused? Isn't there a sentry light that flashes (like every 45 seconds??) on the dash?

2007 JKU Sahara........................... 2015 JKU Sahara
5.3/6l80E......................................2.5" Rock Krawler Expedition Stage-1
Teraflex 44 front, Stock 44 rear........35's
Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
post #24 of 30 Old 10-17-2016, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I reused the original cluster on mine, just replaced everything else around it with new plastic parts.

I think its likely from my washing the Jeep out after runs. I take it to the car wash and just blast the whole thing. LOL

post #25 of 30 Old 10-17-2016, 12:41 PM
Rock God

Marcus. I bought the lite Box Flasher fix along with my ORO LED lights.
I have not had any problems with their tail lights.
It basically makes you retain the OEM blinker to fool the TIPM into thinking all is well.

LiteBOX Wrangler JK Flasher Fix, ORO Direct
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode