JK Fog Lights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 10-29-2015, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

JK Fog Lights

I replaced the bumpers on my 2014 JK with ones that don't have the provisions for the stock fog lights. I bought some that mount on the new bumper thinking that I could splice them into the stock harness for the fog lights but they are flashing intermediately so I can only assume that there is not enough power going to them to keep them on? The lights I connected are 12V 100W. What lights can I use on the stock harness? Keep in mind I'm not looking for plug and play I just need something that will work with the stock harnesses power output. I will splice it if I have to. If you have specific lights you know will work or what the power of the lights I should use should be please let me know. Keep in mind I did not know enough about electrical when I purchased the lights (and I guess I still don't). Thanks for your help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-30-2015, 12:00 AM
JKO Addict!

You can't wire them in like that. You need a fog light kit that includes a good harness (wired to the battery with heavy gauge wire, relays and fuses). Just use the stock circuit to trigger the new system via the relay versus powering it directly.

This is what I run. I picked up the complete kit, with a harness. They are an excellent, true fog with a sharp horizontal cutoff and a near and wide field. The funky shape is because they are projectors.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00042K39C

Susquehanna motorsports should be able to offer you a good harness.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-30-2015, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
You can't wire them in like that. You need a fog light kit that includes a good harness (wired to the battery with heavy gauge wire, relays and fuses). Just use the stock circuit to trigger the new system via the relay versus powering it directly.

This is what I run. I picked up the complete kit, with a harness. They are an excellent, true fog with a sharp horizontal cutoff and a near and wide field. The funky shape is because they are projectors.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00042K39C

Susquehanna motorsports should be able to offer you a good harness.
Thanks for responding! I'm trying to educate myself, can you tell me why they don't work by hooking them up directly to the existing harness? there are other aftermarket fog lights replacements for the oem bumper that are plug and play. I'm just trying o understand why buying a set that just sits outside the oem mounting position are any different?

Also, the lights I purchased came with the kit you speak of. If I cant find any that i can just use on the existing harness then how do I hook them up to the fog light switch on the column like you said?

these are the lights I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-30-2015, 08:23 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to jlagross

it could possibly be an issue with the difference between factory power and fog light power. i believe the factory lights are only 24 watts each, where these are 100 watts.

The harness makes it pretty easy, follow the provided instructions and instead of "switch" use the factory fog light wires.
When the factory fog wires have power, they will trigger the relay which will "open" the relay allowing power to go from battery through the relay to the lights.
When the factory fog wires do not have power, they will close the relay blocking the power from going through the relay to the lights
post #5 of 17 Old 10-30-2015, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlagross View Post
it could possibly be an issue with the difference between factory power and fog light power. i believe the factory lights are only 24 watts each, where these are 100 watts.

The harness makes it pretty easy, follow the provided instructions and instead of "switch" use the factory fog light wires.
When the factory fog wires have power, they will trigger the relay which will "open" the relay allowing power to go from battery through the relay to the lights.
When the factory fog wires do not have power, they will close the relay blocking the power from going through the relay to the lights
the lights came with a diagram. From where do I hook up the fog light switch? where they plug in to the oem fog lights or somewhere else on the vehicle?
post #6 of 17 Old 10-30-2015, 08:34 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to jlagross

you would splice the existing fog light wires, to the harness wires that are suppose to go to the provided switch.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-30-2015, 10:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Trying to wire those 100 watt (each) lights to a CANBUS circuit designed for a 35 watt load is a non starter. You may not see a full 12v (let alone actual battery voltage) there anyway.

The second mistake is that those lights are not fog lights, they are "off road" or "driving" lights at 100w, not to mention the light pattern. True fog lights are not going to be much better than your stock ones in terms of coverage area. It is near and wide with a sharp cutoff above the horizontal line which should be about 4" below your headlight.

The driving lights should actually be wired in to the high beam circuit and not the low beam circuit like fogs. The kit should have a switch that triggers the relay. The trigger lead for the switch can be spliced into the high beam circuit.

Susquehanna makes a very nice headlamp harness that has a trigger lead plug that plugs into the factory headlamp socket so that you don't have to cut or splice anything. I don't think that they have a kit like that for the fog lights. Someone else might.

"plug and play" lights are probably LED (read: lower wattage) but I am not an LED fan/advocate so have no advice there.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-30-2015, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
Trying to wire those 100 watt (each) lights to a CANBUS circuit designed for a 35 watt load is a non starter. You may not see a full 12v (let alone actual battery voltage) there anyway.

The second mistake is that those lights are not fog lights, they are "off road" or "driving" lights at 100w, not to mention the light pattern. True fog lights are not going to be much better than your stock ones in terms of coverage area. It is near and wide with a sharp cutoff above the horizontal line which should be about 4" below your headlight.

The driving lights should actually be wired in to the high beam circuit and not the low beam circuit like fogs. The kit should have a switch that triggers the relay. The trigger lead for the switch can be spliced into the high beam circuit.

Susquehanna makes a very nice headlamp harness that has a trigger lead plug that plugs into the factory headlamp socket so that you don't have to cut or splice anything. I don't think that they have a kit like that for the fog lights. Someone else might.

"plug and play" lights are probably LED (read: lower wattage) but I am not an LED fan/advocate so have no advice there.
this might be over my head at this point. I guess I'm stuck just wiring to the supplied switch. It would have been nice to keep everything clean with no external switch.
post #9 of 17 Old 11-01-2015, 11:14 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmar77 View Post
this might be over my head at this point. I guess I'm stuck just wiring to the supplied switch. It would have been nice to keep everything clean with no external switch.
You can still use your switch on the stearing column, you just need to run the power to the lights from your battery through a relay. The relay should have four prongs on it; 12v power in, 12v power out, ground, and 12v switched (this is the one that gets conected to the stock fog light power wire). Do a google search for 12v relay diagram and it will show you which wire get hooked up where if you don't have instructions. It think the kit you have came with a relay so you should have everything you need, it just won't have the clean factory look.

opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and some stink
post #10 of 17 Old 11-01-2015, 06:17 PM

I just wired up something similar with my replacement front bumper. I lost the factory lights but gained 4 LED lights in the new bumper. From the reading that I had done in the past it seems that the factory power to the fog lights is PWM like the headlights. I uses the supplied harness for the led's with minor modification and used the passenger-side factory foglight plug to trigger the relay. Keeps everything stock except cutting off the plug. I also added a capacitor across the relay coil and a diode inline with jeep wiring. Not 100% sure that those two things are needed but they were needed with the headlight harness because of the PWM.
post #11 of 17 Old 11-19-2015, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks guys for all the help. your awesome! this is the direction I'm taking it now. I installed the lights I mentioned above (I will deal with fog lights later on). I ran all the wiring according to the supplied diagram (from what I researched its pretty standard to most that are sold). Everything is hooked up and tucked nice and neat (I'm impressed with myself, everything looks factory). I hooked up the relay and ran the switch wire through the firewall. The battery wire and switch wire are still disconnected. I can either use the supplied switch and tie into the parking lamps as suggested in the directions, and try to find a place for the switch, or do what I want, and tie into the high beams. So here's the thing, I cant find the wires under the dash for the parking lamps, and I don't know what wire on the headlight to tie into for high beam. I tried searching online and I cant find a diagram or picture. Can someone help me with this? remember before you do, I'm just a novice so be detailed and type sloooow.

In case your wondering what I have to trade for your information, I'm a great cook, awesome hunter and fisherman and pretty good mechanic. So if you need a good venison recipe and directions on how to change your oil, I'm your man!

Last edited by henmar77; 11-19-2015 at 10:04 AM.
post #12 of 17 Old 11-21-2015, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Done.
post #13 of 17 Old 11-22-2015, 08:05 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmar77 View Post
Done.
For when you do get around to fogs, or if anyone else wants the pedestal version, check this out for 15% off and free shipping.

http://www.allensoffroad.com/LED-Lig...l-6150J-Series

Have a great day!

Allen

Allen's Offroad - 530-620-1100
Email me at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FREE SHIPPING on orders of $99.99 or more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-27-2015, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

ok so I spoke to soon. they work great plugged spliced into the oem fog light harness but now there is a buzzing noise coming from the relay and I hear another noise from in the cab but I'm not sure if its in the dash or under the hood could be the relay I'm hearing. this isn't working out for me too good.
post #15 of 17 Old 11-28-2015, 03:30 PM
Wheeler

I got two 18watt flood bars wired straight into mine and they work fine no flashing and no flicker. Do you have both Fog leads hooked up or just one. I know if you don't use both leads if you wire up a light bar it will flash and go off when you crank up your jeep.
post #16 of 17 Old 11-29-2015, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejku10 View Post
I got two 18watt flood bars wired straight into mine and they work fine no flashing and no flicker. Do you have both Fog leads hooked up or just one. I know if you don't use both leads if you wire up a light bar it will flash and go off when you crank up your jeep.
I just hooked it up to the one side. so I need to hook up the one lead from the new lights to both leads to the oem fog lights?
post #17 of 17 Old 11-30-2015, 10:11 AM
Wheeler

Yep I bet that's your problem. I had the same issue when I only had one lead hooked up. When I wired in both sides it works flawlessly no flickering no issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode