LED wiring with multiple power options. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-21-2015, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

LED wiring with multiple power options.

So my question is this, I am hooking up a set of rock lights which are LED strips on my JK. I have them set up so they will turn on from my SPod but will also turn on when I open my door and the interior lights activate. I thought that I had the correct set up because they worked for a while (6ish months) but have recently stopped working. I have a diode inline to prevent backfeeding so my interior lights do not kick on when I flip the Spod switch.

I thought the diode may have went bad because they still work when I turn on my Spod switch but will not power on when my interior lights activate. I tried to switch out the diode today and it would work for a short period of time. I thought that I had it fixed and sealed everything backup and then it just stopped working again.

I have 1N4001, 1N4002, 1N4004, and 1N4007 diodes. I'm not sure which I should be using. And I think right now I actually have two diodes in series not parallel. I plan on removing one diode tomorrow and seeing if that might fix it but I figured I would get someone's opinion that might know better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-21-2015, 06:50 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

I hope this helps.

http://www.jk-forum.com/attachment.p...6&d=1249066950

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-22-2015, 04:40 AM
Rock God

Any of those diodes should function the same in that circuit. The only difference is the maximum blocking voltage. Even the lowest one is 35 VRMS, 50 V peak, so you should be fine with any of them unless something is causing a high surge when you shut the lights off (doubtful).

How many and what lights are you using? Do you know the power draw of them? Those diodes are rated at 1A current. It's possible that you are near or just above the limit, and burning them out over time. Do you have a multi-meter?

Last edited by BigTB; 10-22-2015 at 04:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-26-2015, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

http://www.alpena.ca/Product.aspx?id=1082&webcat=30

These are the lights I'm using. I have four set up right now. It says they draw .36 amps.

I do have a multimeter.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-26-2015, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

And I can't for the life of me get it to read amps to tell me the draw. I can get volts though lol
post #6 of 10 Old 10-26-2015, 08:36 AM
Rock God

Well, with four of those lights at 0.36A each, you would be at 1.44A total.

Does your meter have a diode test function? If so, you could check to see if the diodes are actually bad (though I suppose that is the problem). Also, if your meter won't read amps (when placed in series with the circuit, it should never be placed in parallel with the load/circuit) it may have a fuse which is blown.

It's quite possible you are simply over-stressing the diodes and they are burning out.

You could set up the circuit so that the power through the diode from the interior lights goes to the S-Pod control circuit to turn the lights on, rather than powering the lights directly. That way, the only amperage you would have going through the diode is the relay control current.

You could also try to find a higher rated diode.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-26-2015, 02:57 PM
Wheeler

I am looking into Rock Lights myself eventually, was planning on running relays, but am curious to see which one is the correct path...

Was looking into the JCR Crusader sliders eventually which recommend the following for their lighting:

[The diodes] are used to keep power from the switch or factory backup lamps from back feeding each other. They are capable of 3a sustained. Part #1N5402 is a standard diode part available at your local Radio Shack or online.

AUBICON 1.0 - SOLD -2009 Sahara 2-Door (AUTO, 5.13) | Detroit TrueTracs | Coast 1310 Driveshafts | 35" Toyo Open Country MTs | Chromoly Shafts | JCR Mauler Bumpers | Teraflex Hinged Carrier | JCR Classic Rock Sliders | 3" Synergy Lift | Fox 2.0 Shocks & SS

AUBICON 2.0 - 2015 JKU Rubicon (AUTO, 4.10) | JCR Mauler Front Bumper / Crusader Rear with Shield Tire Carrier | Warn Zeon 8S | Superchips TrailDash | ARB Twin OBA | Spod
post #8 of 10 Old 10-26-2015, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Good to know, I did actually happened to stop by RadioShack today thinking that maybe I was overdoing the amperage on my current diod. So I did buy some of 1n5400 diodes which are rated at 3 amps and 12 volts.

so I will see how those work out I did not see the 1n 5402 that you're talking about though.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-27-2015, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So far so good with a replacement to the new diode. I'll update if it goes out again. Thanks for the help everyone.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-21-2016, 07:11 PM
Granite Guru

Where is the best place to tap into the dome light? I am in the process of doing a rock light install and want to tap into the dome light as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode