Hella H4 Upgrade - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 10-14-2015, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Hella H4 Upgrade

Last week I installed my new Hella H4's with 100/80W Halogen bulbs. I got them from Susquehanna with the HL28130J Plug and Play harness and I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. Susquehanna was great to deal with and I've been familiar with Hella's reputation for years. I live nearly 3 miles from pavement and couldn't suffer through another night/morning of stressing out about what was 30 feet in front of my '14 Rubicon. Now, I am done stressing.
I had considered LEDs ($$$) but I didn't want to have to deal with the "flickering" I've heard so much about. We also have very cold winters and often plenty of accompanying snow and the halogens provide plenty of heat. Even though I could not remove my grill (AEV bumper and winch), these went in easy with no adjustment needed. Truly plug and play.
The beam patterns on these are amazing and they throw light further than I can use it. This is the best and most cost effective mod I have done yet.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-14-2015, 10:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTooMany View Post
Last week I installed my new Hella H4's with 100/80W Halogen bulbs. I got them from Susquehanna with the HL28130J Plug and Play harness and I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. Susquehanna was great to deal with and I've been familiar with Hella's reputation for years. I live nearly 3 miles from pavement and couldn't suffer through another night/morning of stressing out about what was 30 feet in front of my '14 Rubicon. Now, I am done stressing.
I had considered LEDs ($$$) but I didn't want to have to deal with the "flickering" I've heard so much about. We also have very cold winters and often plenty of accompanying snow and the halogens provide plenty of heat. Even though I could not remove my grill (AEV bumper and winch), these went in easy with no adjustment needed. Truly plug and play.
The beam patterns on these are amazing and they throw light further than I can use it. This is the best and most cost effective mod I have done yet.
Yeah, I picked up my harness from them as well and used their stuff on an NA Miata that I had. I like old school lighting. The Hellas are nice. I ran those housings for a while and I have the MicroDE wired in as fogs. they do fine as fogs and are better than the OEM fogs.

I ended up going to Cibie housings, though.

post #3 of 19 Old 10-15-2015, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
Yeah, I picked up my harness from them as well and used their stuff on an NA Miata that I had. I like old school lighting. The Hellas are nice. I ran those housings for a while and I have the MicroDE wired in as fogs. they do fine as fogs and are better than the OEM fogs.

Did the MicroDE fogs fit in the OEM fog housing? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 10-15-2015, 03:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Did the MicroDE fogs fit in the OEM fog housing? Thanks.
Negative. The OEM fogs sold on ebay and are on someone else's rig now. I did wire the trigger lead to the OEM fog light circuit so that the OEM switch turns them on.

Here is an old pic fro when I first installed the fogs....

post #5 of 19 Old 10-15-2015, 11:59 PM
Rock God

Quote:

I bought Cibies to replace my Hellas but the Hellas have a cleaner beam pattern so I went back to them. Cibies were brighter and have a farther throw though. What bulbs are you running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
First, take a 50/50 water/alcohol solution and douche all the sand out of your vagina. Seriously, you gotta get that nozzle ALL the way to the cervix since it sounds as though your vajayjay is completely blocked with a silica compound.
post #6 of 19 Old 10-16-2015, 12:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead View Post
I bought Cibies to replace my Hellas but the Hellas have a cleaner beam pattern so I went back to them. Cibies were brighter and have a farther throw though. What bulbs are you running?
The hellas are great too. They have a sharper cutoff. I am running 55/100 bulbs because these things are so efficient I don't need anything brighter on low beam. The high beams are awesome.

The cibies do not have the reflective shield front of the bulb like the hella's. you can kind of see that in my pic above.
post #7 of 19 Old 10-16-2015, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm running the AEV bumper and think it might have the perfect mounting points (with drilling). Are you happy with the output?

Quote:
Negative. The OEM fogs sold on ebay and are on someone else's rig now. I did wire the trigger lead to the OEM fog light circuit so that the OEM switch turns them on.

post #8 of 19 Old 10-16-2015, 10:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Thanks. I'm running the AEV bumper and think it might have the perfect mounting points (with drilling). Are you happy with the output?
Yes and no.

Keep in mind that these are true fogs in that there is a sharp cutoff for everything above the horizonatal height that you set them at, which if I remember from Daniel Sterns web site as being about 4" below the low beam cutoff.

As fog lights, they are excellent. They are projectors and are extremely popular with the motorcycle crowds. I am using the Narva +50 bulbs in them. They have been on the jeep for a long time but I got my first real opportunity to test them in real fog coming back from jeep night in pacifica the other night. they are fantastic fog lamps.

Call Susquehanna, though, because they have another projector fog lamp that is larger and may fit better. It is off of a Mercedes or something.

possibly this one?

http://www.rallylights.com/hella-90m...bber-boot.html

It would take some work to get them to fit.

That said, I want something more than fogs. Daniel Stern recommends getting a pair of the Hella BiFocus H1, spraying them yellow and sticking them into some Grote universal H1 housings. I think this one:

http://www.rallylights.com/hl26700-h...8-267-001.html

I still may take this option - just too lazy and busy with other projects at the moment.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Rock God

Quote:
The hellas are great too. They have a sharper cutoff. I am running 55/100 bulbs because these things are so efficient I don't need anything brighter on low beam. The high beams are awesome.

The cibies do not have the reflective shield front of the bulb like the hella's. you can kind of see that in my pic above.
Do you have lack of light at the center point with the Cibies?

I've ran Philips Xtreme Power +80%, Philips Xtreme Vision +130% twice and Osram Night Breaker Unlimited +110%. The Osrams and Philips XV have a bluish tint on the high beam that I'm not a fan of. Both times I installed the Philips Xtreme Vision one bulb burned out within a week. Thought the first time was just a defect.
post #10 of 19 Old 10-16-2015, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:

those are tight spots; I have never seen that make nor design. Cool find. on light subject, I agree + went thru every chance to convince myself to run headlights that are LED.I should point-out that I run LED everything from back to front inside and out, except headlights. I cant explain much but just 'seems for every 3 guys that have no issue, one will wind-up having some quirk w the modulation or ice....I just snagged some decent Delta lenses that arent horrid but have fair lens thats thick&flat. I got some bosche (sic) 65/100 , i think , and they make all the diff in the world. I snagged some stone guards from a Triumph sports car from the mid 60s that were 7"s and love my cheapish but durable and 7-9 times better than those OEMs .....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 19 Old 10-16-2015, 11:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Do you have lack of light at the center point with the Cibies?
yeah - it feels like I am driving the mach 5. I flick on the lights and fire the engine, then and hear the roar of the flowmaster and that is when I hear the speed racer theme song in my head. LOL

Seriously, though. They do still seem to put more usable light on the road. I got used to that little dip the middle of the pattern.

If anyone cares about how it looks, the Hellas have a flat surface and the Cibies have a domed lens like the stock ones.

They are both good choices. I think it just is a matter of pattern preference. I have run the Hella H4s in several vehicles.
post #12 of 19 Old 10-16-2015, 12:19 PM
Rock God

Quote:
yeah - it feels like I am driving the mach 5. I flick on the lights and fire the engine, then and hear the roar of the flowmaster and that is when I hear the speed racer theme song in my head. LOL

Might have to make that my new signature.

Quote:
First, take a 50/50 water/alcohol solution and douche all the sand out of your vagina. Seriously, you gotta get that nozzle ALL the way to the cervix since it sounds as though your vajayjay is completely blocked with a silica compound.

Last edited by TRAUMAhead; 10-16-2015 at 12:21 PM.
post #13 of 19 Old 10-17-2015, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

j3ff,
You and I are in the same camp. Like yours, all of my interior and exterior lights are LED, except headlights. Tail/marker/brake lights are noticeably brighter and much more distinctive than stock. I struggled with the resistors but the end result is that my rig is easier for others to see. I also didn't wat to spend a bundle on LEDs only to have to troubleshoot them or scrape ice on the side of a darkening road. I know lots of folks are happy with them, and I am equally as happy with my "old school" Hellas.
I'm am gonna have to try to source some old British stone guards though.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
those are tight spots; I have never seen that make nor design. Cool find. on light subject, I agree + went thru every chance to convince myself to run headlights that are LED.I should point-out that I run LED everything from back to front inside and out, except headlights. I cant explain much but just 'seems for every 3 guys that have no issue, one will wind-up having some quirk w the modulation or ice....I just snagged some decent Delta lenses that arent horrid but have fair lens thats thick&flat. I got some bosche (sic) 65/100 , i think , and they make all the diff in the world. I snagged some stone guards from a Triumph sports car from the mid 60s that were 7"s and love my cheapish but durable and 7-9 times better than those OEMs .....

post #14 of 19 Old 10-17-2015, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
j3ff,
You and I are in the same camp. Like yours, all of my interior and exterior lights are LED, except headlights. Tail/marker/brake lights are noticeably brighter and much more distinctive than stock. I struggled with the resistors but the end result is that my rig is easier for others to see. I also didn't wat to spend a bundle on LEDs only to have to troubleshoot them or scrape ice on the side of a darkening road. I know lots of folks are happy with them, and I am equally as happy with my "old school" Hellas.
I'm am gonna have to try to source some old British stone guards though.....
they can take me swinging a miniature Louisville Slugger to them without damage. I got 'em off ebay from a used triumph parts seller in UK....as long as they are 7" they should work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 19 Old 10-17-2015, 10:28 AM
JKO Addict!

I am in that camp too but the jeep is not yet in it (stock markers/indicators all around)..... Install LEDs to be seen but not to see.
post #16 of 19 Old 10-17-2015, 05:08 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I snagged some stone guards from a Triumph sports car from the mid 60s that were 7"s and love my cheapish but durable and 7-9 times better than those OEMs .....
How do those attach?

Quote:
post #17 of 19 Old 10-17-2015, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
How do those attach?
i ground down small strips of steel that are about like Popsicle sticks, cut them in half for 1/2" further out than the back of the housing to the lens exterior end[front] and then brake-bent these on my angle-vise at the flat end after drilling a hole 1/4" from the flat end; bent just past this allowed me to mount them to the four retainment allenhead screws that keep the lens ring in place. once sticking out, I wrapped the rounded protruding ends around the main parameter band of the guard itself and all four are locked onto those for strips , standing guard against limbs and rocks or carpenterbees.....if i need to I can unbend the steel stand-offs to remove the guards but its a pain in the @ss.....i made another whole set of 8 as backups and after a cedar tree ate my whole front fender+ oem headlamp ( crap) and the stone guard did not get located anywhere plus there were copperheads everyplace....i digress
i had to replace the thing which was more difficult than making the darn mounting brackets.....

post #18 of 19 Old 10-18-2015, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

I read this and wasn't sure what the "crap" meant. I know the oems are crap so you must have meant the front fender
Quote:
... a cedar tree ate my whole front fender+ oem headlamp ( crap) and the stone guard did not get located anywhere.....

post #19 of 19 Old 10-18-2015, 07:42 PM
Granite Guru

I sure like my Hella H4 head lights, when I changed mine over the LED headlights were like $700 a piece and I figured for that price I could buy a whole lot of H4 bulbs.

opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and some stink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode