Headlight Options - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
Heated Trucklights 12 33.33%
JW Speaker 13 36.11%
VisionX 0 0%
Freaking BACON! 15 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 10-13-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Question Headlight Options

Just received the promotional email from Northridge4x4. Considering my options for headlights
  1. Heated Trucklights -heated feature seems like a good idea in colder climate
  2. JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 -seems top notch, wondering if I'd regret it not being heated?
  3. Vision X & inch LEDs- Same as above only even more expensive.
  4. Screw it, BACON!

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-13-2015, 07:01 PM
Granite Guru

If it were a warm weather only application, JW Speaker all the way....

But your going to want the Truck-Lite heated lens in Montana's winter weather.
post #3 of 22 Old 10-13-2015, 08:00 PM
Wheeler

Morimoto Sealed7's from the retrofitsource
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 10-13-2015, 09:04 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRC27 View Post
Morimoto Sealed7's from the retrofitsource
What he said, or get the mini h1 projector kit from the same place and retro fit them into the halogen housing. I went this route and cost about 300. Of you have questions about this let me know
Attached Images

post #5 of 22 Old 10-13-2015, 09:56 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Bacon trumps all. As for headlights - first choice, Sealed7, second choice, JW Speaker. Third choice, Truck-Light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #6 of 22 Old 10-14-2015, 05:23 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigworm36 View Post
What he said, or get the mini h1 projector kit from the same place and retro fit them into the halogen housing. I went this route and cost about 300. Of you have questions about this let me know
Tell us more about this mini h1 projector kit. It sounds like an interesting option that is also affordable.
post #7 of 22 Old 10-14-2015, 06:53 AM
JKowners Vendor

Here is the link to the mini h1. Pretty much includes all you need.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.Vh5NQcvn9nE

The kit comes with a harness but to ensure there are no issues like flickering it's a good idea to get this canbus harness
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.Vh5OKcvn9nE

Here is a few pics how I did mine. I even did it on my jetta using the same kit and turned out good.
Attached Images

post #8 of 22 Old 10-14-2015, 07:23 AM
Wheeler

BIGWORM36

Which shroud did you go with and did it have to be trimmed to fit in the housing?
post #9 of 22 Old 10-14-2015, 08:33 AM
JKO Addict!

If you're looking for an improvement over stock, almost anything is better.

I've had the Truck-lites for about 3.5 years and while they're an improvement over stock they're not the greatest. Their biggest shortfall is in their reflector optics and the hot and cold (bright & dark) spots it projects. More or less their beam pattern aside from the cutoff is not very defined. For myself, the chief complaint comes at night in rainy conditions where there is a some ambient light from street lights or oncoming traffic making it difficult to see the lane lines.

The picture below illustrates what I'm talking about with the Truck-lite headlights (photo cred: 4wheeler magazine).

Now compare the above with the beam pattern below with the JW Speaker headlights (photo cred: 4wheeler magazine). The difference here is it looks like JW uses either projectors or TIR's for their optics instead of a reflector like the truck-lites.

The new kids on the block are the VisionX Vortex lights and they look very promising as a high end light that is as good or better than the JW. I couldn't find any pic's of their beam pattern, just this vid from Headlight Revolution.

As for the heat output of an LED light versus a halogen or even an HID I can't say if it's that significant to make a big deal of it. In the right conditions I've had halogen lights ice up on pretty much every vehicle I've ever owned or driven. Earlier this year I took a measurement of the light temperature on my Truck-lite's on a 32 day and compared that measurement to the HID's my buddy has installed on his Ram truck. The result was negligible at best.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 22 Old 10-14-2015, 04:56 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigworm36 View Post
Here is the link to the mini h1. Pretty much includes all you need.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.Vh5NQcvn9nE

The kit comes with a harness but to ensure there are no issues like flickering it's a good idea to get this canbus harness
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.Vh5OKcvn9nE

Here is a few pics how I did mine. I even did it on my jetta using the same kit and turned out good.
So is it as easy as cutting the correct size hole in your Jeep factory headlight housing and gluing the new HID kit in with the provided adhesive?
post #11 of 22 Old 10-14-2015, 05:32 PM
JKowners Vendor

No......do yourself a favor and get sealed7's...

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 22 Old 10-14-2015, 05:43 PM
Random Dude

Wow, this poll thread in tech went sideways quickly .

I voted for the Heated Trucklights since you're in Montana (and, of course, I voted for tasty, awesome BACON )

I have halogen headlights, and all the other lights on my front are now LED. If I went to LED headlights, I'd go heated because I'd feel like an idiot if headlight icing shut down my progress. It would freak me out to go all LED without an icing contingency plan. I live where the weather rarely sucks, but I expect anything for which I'm unprepared to kick my ass.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #13 of 22 Old 10-14-2015, 05:55 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I have like three perfectly good stock headlights laying around if you want them for the retrofit. Not like i'll need them for anything....

The BiXenon retrofit or S7 will have no issue with snow, they produce as much heat as a halogen.

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #14 of 22 Old 10-14-2015, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I should add that I have a decent set of HIDs now. I'm sick to death of the ballasts not lighting up, and I'd like to have my automatic headlights back.

The HIDs just do not reliably light in all conditions. Like when they are on auto. I turn the key, they both light, then I start the engine. During cranking the HIDs go out, and after the engine starts, one or both will not re-ignite.

Or when running into a store for a couple of minutes. The ballasts, and bulbs are still warm, one of them will not reliably ignite.

I'll also add that the HID solutions that they use a single bulb for both low and high beam, there is no extra light output on high. It just moves the mask up to not block the light pattern off for oncoming traffic. This makes flashing the high beams at someone less than satisfying, which is no joy when some a-hole needs his retinas scorched.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....

post #15 of 22 Old 10-14-2015, 07:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've had the Speakers for 2+ years. Other than not passing inspection the first time I really like them. There was an issue with the inspector not understanding the law or the technology.

I've had them in snow and ice in single digits and haven't had any issues. But then again the snow and ice here in Virgina is nothing like you see in Montana.

Really like the light pattern and ran trails in ouray at night, saves you from having to buy a light bar.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
post #16 of 22 Old 10-14-2015, 09:07 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinss View Post
BIGWORM36

Which shroud did you go with and did it have to be trimmed to fit in the housing?
Used the mini gatling gun, I may have done some minimal trimming around the edge so it didn't hit the housing hard to remember I did it back in the spring. I used a Dremel for all modifications including the housing
post #17 of 22 Old 10-14-2015, 09:15 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJLH View Post
So is it as easy as cutting the correct size hole in your Jeep factory headlight housing and gluing the new HID kit in with the provided adhesive?
Yup I carefully cut the housing just big enough to fit the projector down far enough so the clear lens could be installed. I used jb kwik weld to hold it all together. It does take some time to cut and check fitment and cut and so on until it fits right. Need to ensure the projector is centered and properly rotated as close as possible then install and align. For aligning recommend getting the horizontal adjust screws, the jeeps only come with the vertical adjustment screws. You should have these no matter what lights are on your Jeep in my opinion. The part number is 5507 8114 AA -001

Last edited by bigworm36; 10-14-2015 at 09:27 PM.
post #18 of 22 Old 10-14-2015, 11:27 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

The warm up and no restart is a ballast issue commonly associated with lower quality ballasts. I never had those problems with the Morimoto ballasts. They were maybe 5-7 second warm up and no re-ignition issues at all. Immediate restart. They won't beat LED for instant on, but, they will win for output. That is fact.

Quote:
post #19 of 22 Old 10-15-2015, 06:12 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
The warm up and no restart is a ballast issue commonly associated with lower quality ballasts. I never had those problems with the Morimoto ballasts. They were maybe 5-7 second warm up and no re-ignition issues at all. Immediate restart. They won't beat LED for instant on, but, they will win for output. That is fact.
Same here I have them on the jeep and my jetta with no issues with the Morimoto ballasts
post #20 of 22 Old 10-15-2015, 07:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've got JW Speaker lights and love them. In the winter there is only a couple times where the snow builds up on the lights. I've found that they are bright enough that I don't really notice it building up on them.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #21 of 22 Old 10-16-2015, 03:09 PM
Wheeler

I've been doing a bit of research on lights and I'm definitely leaning towards the JW's. they look super mean too!
post #22 of 22 Old 10-19-2015, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
I've ran both the Osram, as well as Phillips ballasts, hardly the low end of the scale. Most OEM setups allow for some cooling of the ballasts and bulbs. That combined with the asinine way the Jeep powers the headlights (PWM, on with key, off with start, back on with run half power DRL, etc.) makes the HID hit or miss.

I'm just tired of messing with them, turing them off and on trying to get them to light, and always wondering if they are both on. I'm looking forward to something that just works 100%.

_

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode