Tuners - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 10-06-2015, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Tuners

Ok so with the list of Tuners out there, I am wondering which people are having best results with. My 14 rubicon is still setting stock and I recently had an issue with the TPMS light coming on. After verifying the pressures are fine I took it for an 80 mile drive but the light never went out. I took it into the local dealer yesterday and they took the tires up to the 37 psi. I have had the thing at 30 PSI since I bought it last year. The Tech went on to tell me I had to run them at 37 PSI on the rubicon to keep the light off and anyone that wants the tires lower will have to live with the light being on.

I am looking at the Trinity or the Trail Dash 2. Would be of these be a better choice over the other ?

The wife has sort of taken over the rubi but I have bene trying to point her towards a Cherokee trailhawk or Renegade but she does not seem to like either of those. She has her truck that she will not let go of, but at the same time she like to drive my jeep. I suggested getting her one of her own but she feels 2 of the same type of vehicle is not a wise choice at the house. I have a decent size garage but parking is kind of an issue bringing another vehicle her with out removing one because I keep a work van here as well. She does not want our place to look like a used car lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-06-2015, 08:52 AM
JKO Addict!

The TPMS threshold is set at 36 from the factory in support of the 39 psi setting printed on the door jamb.

If all you want to do is twiddle settings then consider the AEV procal.

The triniy is supposed to twiddle the TPMS system on and off as well as set the threshold but the software goes through the motions and does nothing. It is worse than vaporware, it is bustedware.

No current experience with superchips on a jeep but past experience was very bad on a previous vehicle so I would not even consider them. If it can twiddle the settings then great.

You can duplicate a lot of the gauge functionality with your phone and a $25 elm327 device from amazon. Get a Bluetooth one for android and the wifi version for ios devices. There are jeep roll/gyro apps for free and there are also apps like torque.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 10-06-2015 at 10:31 AM.
post #3 of 19 Old 10-06-2015, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for the input. As soon as I can get the wife out of the rubi I will be looking at doing a lift and some other things. Looking at doing a metal cloak. Will go no larger then 35's for tire size and the lift will be 2.5 or less. I fele with the 3.6l 4.10 gears and 35's the jeep would do ok. I will hit trails with it but nothing over board mainly getting back into hunting and fishing holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 10-06-2015, 10:54 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I have been running the Trail Dash on my '11 for a couple of years, and have been real happy with it. Before that, I had a ProCal to adjust for tires, remove TPMS light, higher engine RPMs for winching, etc. I like the Trail Dash because it stays connected (don't have to find it when I need it for winching), has a very easy user interface, and I can monitor engine and tranny temps while wheeling. It has not given me any problems.

2011 Unlimited Rubicon
Currently: Henderson, CO
post #5 of 19 Old 10-06-2015, 01:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadr View Post
I have been running the Trail Dash on my '11 for a couple of years, and have been real happy with it. Before that, I had a ProCal to adjust for tires, remove TPMS light, higher engine RPMs for winching, etc. I like the Trail Dash because it stays connected (don't have to find it when I need it for winching), has a very easy user interface, and I can monitor engine and tranny temps while wheeling. It has not given me any problems.
I was averse to running full time gauges but I may run them on the trail.

The AeroForce gauges look nice too and they would be more discreet. Probably you can pillar mount one (maybe two?) if you want to monitor more. They supposedly allow you to twiddle the jeep's offroad options and such.

I like my trinity because it has more screen real estate than the aforementioned gauge. I can load 4 gauges on one page and just watch those.
post #6 of 19 Old 10-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
I was averse to running full time gauges but I may run them on the trail.
I wasn't sure how much I would like them in my face all the time, but have found that they don't take up too much space, and some of the readouts are easier than glancing down at the dash. Two of the large gauges I run are engine temp and trans temp. I have appreciated having that knowledge on the road a few times, since the engine temp dummy gauge is not super helpful, and I don't want to wait for the auto tranny ding-of-death.

I am currently staying about 20 miles from the closest gas station, and sometimes I appreciate having a better guess at what is in the tank with the low fuel warning on the TD.

I am not sure if the settings flash the computer, or if you have to leave the TD hooked up all the time to keep the settings. I believe it is the former, so a guy could probably disconnect the display and use it only offroad.

2011 Unlimited Rubicon
Currently: Henderson, CO
post #7 of 19 Old 10-06-2015, 02:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadr View Post
I wasn't sure how much I would like them in my face all the time, but have found that they don't take up too much space, and some of the readouts are easier than glancing down at the dash. Two of the large gauges I run are engine temp and trans temp. I have appreciated having that knowledge on the road a few times, since the engine temp dummy gauge is not super helpful, and I don't want to wait for the auto tranny ding-of-death.

I am currently staying about 20 miles from the closest gas station, and sometimes I appreciate having a better guess at what is in the tank with the low fuel warning on the TD.

I am not sure if the settings flash the computer, or if you have to leave the TD hooked up all the time to keep the settings. I believe it is the former, so a guy could probably disconnect the display and use it only offroad.
Im an old rotary head and still can't manage to get past oil pressure and oil temp. I would always have a set of VDOs in my rotormotor cars. coolant temp, oil pressure and oil temp. all analog.

As far as an off road "gauge layout" for the trinity or whatever device you desire, I personally see value in monitoring coolant temp, oil pressure, IAT and maybe AF ratio or intake manifold temp. With a manual trans, I don't have a trans temp PID.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-27-2016, 08:42 PM

I have the Trail Dash in our 14 JKUR and like it so far. Just have a question (or two). What is the best performance setting for daily driving? I had it set on level 2 and it ran good for a few days. Then this week, the coolant temp shot up to 226 degrees and the settled back down to 217 - 220. I returned the TD to stock level 0 and now the temps run 199 - 213. Ever happen to anyone?

2014 JKUR Copperhead Pearl; 2.5" TF lift; 35X12.5X17 Nitto Mud Grappler, SB X2O 10K winch; Rampage front and rear bumpers. Lovin' it!
post #9 of 19 Old 01-28-2016, 09:23 AM
Wheeler

I have the superchips flashpaq on my 2010 JKU and I love it. All my buddies run it and we have never had any issues out of ours.

I'm running the 93 octane tune and I have found it to be the best for mine for daily driving but I'm running 35" M/T tires as well with almost 5" of Lift. My buddy is still stock on his JKU and he runs the 87 tune around town and on long trips he runs the gas saver tune.

My next purchase will probably be the trail dash.

Last edited by Jamiejku10; 01-28-2016 at 09:25 AM.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-28-2016, 11:00 AM
Granite Guru

I picked up a FlashCal a few years ago for changing settings/disabling TPMS on my 2008. Priced similar to the ProCal, but has a screen and can be upgraded with FlashPaq tuning later if you want. I upgraded mine because they had a 1/2 price sale last year. The tuning does make a difference, but I wouldn't consider it worth it at full price.

Mike

CURRENT - ordered 10/26, home 1/142008 JK Unlimited,3.8L,6-spd,limited slip,dual tops,tow pkg,all power
SOLD1999 XJ 4.0L,AX15,NP231,D30HP,C8.25
STOLEN1993 XJ 4.0L,AW4 ,NP231,D30HP,C8.25:::C4X4 THB:GDI 3row:K&N:JKS QD: Dynomax#17340:MagnaflowCat#23221:Surco 45x60
post #11 of 19 Old 01-28-2016, 11:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Does the FlashCal muck with the bootloader like the FlashPaq does?

If so, it might be worth looking into whether they now restore the bootloader back correctly when the device is unmarried. With the FlashPaq, you could be faced with purchasing a new ECU if you want to go to someone else's tuner at some point down the road.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=102
post #12 of 19 Old 01-28-2016, 12:21 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
Does the FlashCal muck with the bootloader like the FlashPaq does?

If so, it might be worth looking into whether they now restore the bootloader back correctly when the device is unmarried. With the FlashPaq, you could be faced with purchasing a new ECU if you want to go to someone else's tuner at some point down the road.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=102
hmmm... not sure. i assume it works the same as the FlashPaq after the tuning option has been added. i didn't know about that issue... thanks for the heads up!

Mike

CURRENT - ordered 10/26, home 1/142008 JK Unlimited,3.8L,6-spd,limited slip,dual tops,tow pkg,all power
SOLD1999 XJ 4.0L,AX15,NP231,D30HP,C8.25
STOLEN1993 XJ 4.0L,AW4 ,NP231,D30HP,C8.25:::C4X4 THB:GDI 3row:K&N:JKS QD: Dynomax#17340:MagnaflowCat#23221:Surco 45x60
post #13 of 19 Old 01-28-2016, 01:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejwil View Post
hmmm... not sure. i assume it works the same as the FlashPaq after the tuning option has been added. i didn't know about that issue... thanks for the heads up!

Mike
I would look into it one way or another, even if you end up proving otherwise and can refute my lame post a the end of the day.

That's a phocked up problem to have and in your own best interest.
post #14 of 19 Old 02-03-2016, 06:51 AM
Wheeler

I swear by my Flashpaq. Some of the best money I've spent on the Jeep.
post #15 of 19 Old 02-03-2016, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

The flashpaq wouldn't be something I could run without comfortably . I have used it on an '11 jkur for 3-4 years ? to set gear ratios , tire size for 35s now 37s , shift point firmness , rpm during winching , and I've only run non-Ethanol 89oct for the life of this things 83k . I use the 90tune .
I can also monitor temps and spark retard or knock settings , cat temps, map sensor IAT,coolant, auto-tranny oil temp,set the fan to cut-on at a specific coolant temp ,egr functionality as well as other data that the Jeep won't give me info on other than a dummy light on dash ....
Lastly , it is a feature of the device that at 1st configuration it saves your stock OEM ecu settings for every function or PIM it can access in a ' stock tune' archive file that you can restore- back to ( & also save elsewhere if you know what your doing ) if you ever need to*. No trouble , only positives , on my ownership . Worth the painfully expensive money, I sggt it to anyone starting to modify a Jeep JK / JKU as one of your first purchases.

<edit: *I did not get to look at the link about someone's story of having to replace the ECU but there have been those that do not RTFM or jump in and do not save their stock setup first and can have issue with restoration to OEM settings. Not sure if that is what that link involves, but just follow directions and I have not heard of any neg experiences

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 02-03-2016 at 08:52 AM.
post #16 of 19 Old 02-03-2016, 09:30 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
The flashpaq wouldn't be something I could run without comfortably . I have used it on an '11 jkur for 3-4 years ? to set gear ratios , tire size for 35s now 37s , shift point firmness , rpm during winching , and I've only run non-Ethanol 89oct for the life of this things 83k . I use the 90tune .
I can also monitor temps and spark retard or knock settings , cat temps, map sensor IAT,coolant, auto-tranny oil temp,set the fan to cut-on at a specific coolant temp ,egr functionality as well as other data that the Jeep won't give me info on other than a dummy light on dash ....
Lastly , it is a feature of the device that at 1st configuration it saves your stock OEM ecu settings for every function or PIM it can access in a ' stock tune' archive file that you can restore- back to ( & also save elsewhere if you know what your doing ) if you ever need to*. No trouble , only positives , on my ownership . Worth the painfully expensive money, I sggt it to anyone starting to modify a Jeep JK / JKU as one of your first purchases.

<edit: *I did not get to look at the link about someone's story of having to replace the ECU but there have been those that do not RTFM or jump in and do not save their stock setup first and can have issue with restoration to OEM settings. Not sure if that is what that link involves, but just follow directions and I have not heard of any neg experiences
Wow, I thought I was a relatively heavy user of it. You use yours WAY more than I use mine and I'd still buy it again and again if I had to.
post #17 of 19 Old 02-03-2016, 12:37 PM
JKO Addict!

I think that the boot loader problem will only rear is ugly head if and when you decide to use someone else's device. Apparently it will not write the stock one back just exactly as it was. I think it may be when the next device comes along and marries itself to your vehicle, then - zap! Just like that a couple of required ones and zeros are all out of whack.

If you love this device and plan to use it forever then these are not the droids you are looking for. Move along. Move along.

Seriously, though. That is gonna suck for the person buying a used jeep down the road that has a messed up boot loader. He or she will buy a tuner of a different brand and then zap!

Even the instructions that came with my edelbrock supercharger and the SCT tuner said (in like step 1) to STOP HERE if you have already programmed your vehicle with another tuner, even if you have unmarried it. I do not remember for sure but I am fairly certain that the statement was not brand-specific.

Unmarrying the Trinity and switching to the SCT and then back to the Trinity was admittedly a little scary and I was basically freeballing a leap of faith over thorn bushes. I am here to say that the jeep and I survived the tuner swapping. I have backups of everything, the stock tune and all iterations of my NA and FI tunes. I have bounced between most of them at least once. I even restored my stock tune and have a Trinity backup of the Edelbrock/ECT canned tune.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 02-03-2016 at 12:41 PM.
post #18 of 19 Old 02-03-2016, 12:39 PM

09 Jeep I'm using falshpaq getting good results from it.

2009 Jeep Jk 4dr
4" Lift / 33's / 4:88's
Tuned Exhaust / Super Chipped
post #19 of 19 Old 02-03-2016, 12:51 PM
JKO Addict!

If you do not need to load tunes or run any aux inputs such as wideband o2 or EGT then another good approach might be a combination of an AEV ProCal to flip all of the Jeep-specific bits plus the mobile app Torque with an ELM 327 device. If you run IOS then you need to get the Wi-Fi version of the ELM327 thingy. Android uses Bluetooth.

This would be a lower cost alternative to TrailDash and I think perform almost all of the same functions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode