Urgent Help Needed - Dome Light & Lockers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-17-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Exclamation Urgent Help Needed - Dome Light & Lockers

Hey guys... I need some major help. I have a 2015 JKUR. I'm going on a road trip tomorrow. Driving 1800 miles round trip. Decided to put my hard top on, rugs in and hard doors on. Figured it would make the long trip a bit more comfortable.

After the top was bolted on, everything was working fine. I slapped the rugs in and put the doors on and all hell broke loose.

Now, no fuses are blown. My dome lights don't work. My ambient floor lighting doesn't light. My lockers don't work and neither does my sway bar disconnect. The lights on the dash for the lockers and sway bar switches are not even lit.

Mirrors still move. Door locks still lock and unlock. Power windows still work.

I am at a complete and total loss. I don't even know where to start. I used to do electronic engineering and I am currently a computer systems engineer. I'm pretty handy in the electrical department. I just need wiring diagrams and/or schematics.

Anyone have any idea where I can get the info needed or any idea where to start looking? It will take me forever to start chopping harnesses open and tracing wires all over the place.

Thanks,
Spaz

Last edited by marcspaz; 09-17-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-17-2015, 11:49 PM
Granite Guru

When it comes to electrical issues, the two most commons suggestions are check the ground wire from the battery, and disconnect the connector to the e-disconnect motor since you have a rubicon.

Hope you can make your trip.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-18-2015, 12:05 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Have you tried disconnecting the battery pos/neg terminals from the battery, touching them together to perform a system bleed down, and reconnecting them? Might be worth a shot before digging even further...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-18-2015, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I'll check all that out. I disconnected the battery for about20 minutes, but I didn't touch the ends together.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-18-2015, 08:13 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Doing that forces the capacitors in the ECU to completely drain more so than disconnecting the battery alone, the electronics can still hold a small charge even after 20 minutes and retain any volatile memory. That will ensure the memory is wiped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-18-2015, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

So, I shorted the battery cables and cycled the key a few times. When I hooked up the battery cables, the fuses for the dome light and power inverter popped. When I replaced them, the one for the dome light blew right away. I put an ohm meter on the hot sid of the fuse port with the batter disconnected and there is no short. I assumed something was just drawing a lot of power. Replaced the fuse one last time and the didn't blow.

I get back in the Jeep... lockers working great... sway bar disco is working fine.

The dome light however, lights just a little tiny bit, but not enough to cast anything even close to useable light. Its like a candle flame.

I am starting to think a control module is bad, which would explain the inconsistent problems with the fuse sometimes popping and the really weak light when the fuse holds.

I am going to leave the fuse out and make the trip. I'll have to take it to the stealership when I get back. :-( Its gonna suck not having a dome light for the road trip guess I need to bring some flashlights.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-29-2015, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I'm back from Florida. Looks like I might have to wait another week to trouble-shoot this issue. I need to get the hard top off, but its going to be raining for days.

I'm about 99.999% sure its a short too. I was driving on the highway and hit a pot hole hard enough that I smacked a rear bump-stop and the dome light turned on super bright just for a second, even though I had it disabled with the switch. This is gonna be a bitch to find.

If I find out its a pinch from installing the top, I'll be sure to post it as a heads-up for other folks too. Hopefully, next Tuesday I can dig into it.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-06-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

So... I'm an idiot. Finally got around to pulling the hard top. No signs of problems. I started pulling the covers off the roll bars and the very first stretch I pulled off, I found the problem. I have a Hi-Lift jack mount in the back that bolts to the roll bars. The 3 wire harness for the rear dome light was chafing against the bracket.

I cut all the wires, made them longer and moved them over. Problem solved.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-06-2015, 04:44 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Good Job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Doh! That definately sucks, at least it was an easy fix.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you don't like it, go break it!

'07 JKRU
3.5" RK X-Factor Lift on 37x12.5x17 MTR-K's wrapped around AEV Pintler Wheels
post #11 of 11 Old 10-07-2015, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

No doubt.

I was freaking out thinking it was going to be a huge deal because I hacked my harnesses to move my powered mirrors from the doors to the A-pillars. I convinced myself I screwed something up; which, for all intents and purposes, I did. But, it could have been worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode