What relay - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-09-2010, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
What relay

I will be installing my winch tomorrow and was wondering what everyone is using for a remote relay. I am going to put it between the battery and the winch solenoid/relay. I have a brand new starter relay from a PowerStroke and was thinking that would work fine, but not sure. I am going to actuate that relay from my Spod so that my winch is not just always powered, I don't want it live unless I need it.

Any input is appreciated!

My sig is HUGE in Japan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Rock God

Garage

It's going to depend on how much power your winch will use.

What kind of winch did you get?

07 JK 2/DR Sahara, 35" Wrangler kevlar, 10k Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, 3" Black Diamond, CatBack Exhaust, RR Gen-1 Snorkel, too much more to list

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Welcome to JKOWNERS- Home of boobs, guns, meat, and Jeeps.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-10-2010, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Tabor 9k. I figure the winch willl draw anywhere from about 400 to 650 amps. I was thinking a starter relay because I know they hold up over time. I know I've cranked my f350 over for really long amounts of time when it was too cold outside, thats with a dual battery setup. Off to get some arts now, will write up when I'm done.

My sig is HUGE in Japan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Wheeler

Starter solinoids are for intermitent use, not constant on. Warn makes a relay kit that costs about $70. About the same as assembling the parts and wires yourself. Google it.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-10-2010, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Ya, I saw that warn "kit", looks like a joke to me. If you see a picture of it, it is just a chrome starter relay and a switch, exact same thing I already have, except chrome.

found a picture:

My sig is HUGE in Japan
post #6 of 9 Old 05-10-2010, 11:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Most of the diehard electric winch guys will tell you to use Albright Contactors. They are used extensively in electric carts and are designed for constant use.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-14-2010, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Hate to beat a dead horse here, but still have a few questions. I do like the look of that PAC-500 relay, but it seems that it is a bit overkill for the situation, and pricey. The fuse I am going to be using on the winch is 250 amps. I have done the reading and searches, and feel this will be the best fusing for the application. That being said, for the winch relay I am thinking of just getting the same relay that the winch itself uses to engage the motor, can be found for about $18. http://stores.channeladvisor.com/db-...?itemid=270278 The question I have on this is that I know there are two relays energized when the winch is being used. One for the motor and one for the brake. I don't really think the brake draws that much amperage, but I am not sure. As the relays used in the winch relay pack/solenoid box have two relays wired in parallel for the operation of the motor and brake, will this relay be sufficient to handle the load?

As for the warn winch isolator kit (thats like 70-80 bux) the solenoid provided in that looks to only be a 200amp.

My sig is HUGE in Japan
post #8 of 9 Old 05-14-2010, 06:26 AM
Jsr
Granite Guru

I have the warn power interrupt kit, just after a year that its been installed and its has failed. Lite use. Warranty is only a year and I to am in the market for a replacement.

2008 Black Rubicon 2DR.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
The question I have on this is that I know there are two relays energized when the winch is being used. One for the motor and one for the brake. I don't really think the brake draws that much amperage, but I am not sure. As the relays used in the winch relay pack/solenoid box have two relays wired in parallel for the operation of the motor and brake, will this relay be sufficient to handle the load?
This is not correct. AFAIK, there is not any common winches with electrical brakes.

Inside the winch two solenoids are always activated, but this is because the winch powers both IN and OUT. It needs two solenoids to reverse the polarity of the power going to the DC motor.

2007 Stone White Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode