no headlights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-17-2015, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

no headlights

2008 wranglers headlights, turn signals and wipers wont work. already replaced the multifunction switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-17-2015, 06:02 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepstopshere View Post
2008 wranglers headlights, turn signals and wipers wont work. already replaced the multifunction switch.
All of those run through the clock spring. Another stupid Jeep Engineering thing. I had my clock spring go bad and the horn, turn signals, EVIC switches, and radio switches would not work. All the back lighting for the switches didn't work either, but the cruise control would work 30% of the time. Replaced the clock spring and everything works again. Who ever decided to run all the steering wheel controls and switches through the clock spring should be kicked in the nuts.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-17-2015, 09:11 PM
Rock God

I don't see in the wiring diagrams where the headlights, turn signals, and wipers run through the clockspring. These controls are stationary when the steering wheel is turned.
It does show the airbag, horn and cruise controls running through the clockspring. These controls turn with the steering wheel.

All the items the OP says don't work are on the LIN bus and are spliced into a common wire.
I have seen where a bad wiper control stalk on the right will affect the turn signal stalk on the left.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-18-2015, 06:16 PM
Granite Guru

The clock spring is used as a central location for all the column wires to run. Since these controls are not integral to the clock spring it will not be shown on the schematic. The clock spring is just being used as a junction box. The multi-function stalks, horn, EVIC switch, Radio controls, and cruise control switches all plug into the clock spring. At least they do on my 2013. After being rained on without a top or doors my clock spring went bad. Only cruise control would work. None of the other controls on the column would work. However, I never got any ESP or air bag lights. Parts of the clock spring can go bad, or the whole thing can go bad.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-18-2015, 06:53 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJLH View Post
The clock spring is used as a central location for all the column wires to run. Since these controls are not integral to the clock spring it will not be shown on the schematic. The clock spring is just being used as a junction box. The multi-function stalks, horn, EVIC switch, Radio controls, and cruise control switches all plug into the clock spring. At least they do on my 2013. After being rained on without a top or doors my clock spring went bad. Only cruise control would work. None of the other controls on the column would work. However, I never got any ESP or air bag lights. Parts of the clock spring can go bad, or the whole thing can go bad.
That's not how it is on the OP's 2008. I'll have to do some homework on the 2013.
On the 2008, the left stalk contains the steering control module. The right stalk is connected to it with a jumper that bypasses the clockspring. The steering control module in the left stalk is connected to the vehicle electrical system through a dedicated takeout and connector of the instrument panel wire harness.

Edit to add...
Results of doing some homework, (2012. I don't have data for your 2013):

"The clockspring is a mechanical electrical circuit component that is used to provide continuous electrical continuity between the fixed instrument panel wire harness and certain electrical components mounted on or in the rotating steering wheel. On this vehicle the rotating electrical components include the driver airbag, the horn switch, the speed control switch, and the remote radio switches, if the vehicle is so equipped. The fixed connector receptacles on the back of the fixed clockspring case connect the clockspring to the vehicle electrical system through three take outs with connectors from the instrument panel wire harness."

Last edited by ronjenx; 09-18-2015 at 07:04 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-19-2015, 03:43 PM
Granite Guru

Thanks ronjenx. That's good info for everyone to know that the clock spring's role changed in 2012.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-19-2015, 05:47 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJLH View Post
Thanks ronjenx. That's good info for everyone to know that the clock spring's role changed in 2012.
Is that what you got from my post?
Its role didn't change in 2012. It's the same as I described in post #3. Headlights, wipers, and blinkers don't go through the clockspring. There's no need for it to do so. Only the circuits that rotate with the steering wheel go through the clockspring.

Last edited by ronjenx; 09-19-2015 at 05:49 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-19-2015, 08:41 PM
Granite Guru

Misread it.
Much football and beer today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode