Jeep making clicking noise but won't start - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-02-2015, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Jeep making clicking noise but won't start

At first I thought it was bad battery. So I changed battery and was able to start Jeep right away. After it set for a week Jeep died again. I thought this time that something drawing power from the battery while it's not used. Today, I disconnected esway bar, put new posts and tried to jump it from my wife's car, but no. I hear same noise as it about to start, but does not have enough juice on the battery(yes I gave it a gas and time to juce up the battery). Interesting thing though, when it was disabled and I was sure my battery is dead, it would give the full door light, chirps, and fully illuminate dash board.
So now, I am confused what could it be? If it's a bad starter, why changing to new battery helped it first time?
It's almost sound like some sort of security system cuts it out, but being the only owner of the Jeep, I know there is no security system installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-03-2015, 01:59 AM
Rock God

Run a second ground cable. It fixed mine up when I had that problem!

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-03-2015, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsig View Post
Run a second ground cable. It fixed mine up when I had that problem!
Shoot, that is exactly what dealer told me this morning. However, I don't quite understand what does it mean "run a second ground cable"? Do I just split the negative cable and run one of the splits to the frame?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-03-2015, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quick update.
This morning I called tow truck to flat bad my jeep to the dealer. Instead of towing the jeep, the guy did a triple crank (very fast one) and jeep started!. So I drove jeep to the dealer. At the dealership I shut it down and tried to start it again and heck, it starts no problem, I did it again and it starts no problem.
All sounds like battery, but then again, my battery is new, all the lights were working fine, even headlight worked no problem, but I could not start the jeep. I am sure if it stays for a little I wont be able to start it again, without putting some sort of fix like second ground cable.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Rock God

Garage

Auto, or manual?

If auto, put Jeep in neutral and try to start.
I have to tap my shifter up towards park to get it to start sometimes. Other people just put in Neutral and she starts right up.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-03-2015, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
Auto, or manual?

If auto, put Jeep in neutral and try to start.
I have to tap my shifter up towards park to get it to start sometimes. Other people just put in Neutral and she starts right up.
Auto. I never had this problem before, what would cause it to all of a sudden act up on a start up? I will try neutral if dealership don't find the issue with it.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-04-2015, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Dealer installed second ground wire. He said its a known issue and did it under extended warranty.
Jeep looks to be starting up now. We'll see if it still going to be starting up in a week.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-04-2015, 01:57 PM
Wheeler

Do a search for transmission range sensor. That should give you a good understanding of an all too common issue.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-10-2015, 10:08 AM
Rock God

Garage
Post Gear Shifter

I have to push forward a little on my shifter about 1/2 of the time to get it to start. I like the ground wire idea, but I'm not sure where to run it to.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-14-2015, 04:08 PM
Rock God

Garage
Talking Ground

I picked up (2) 4 gauge battery cables. I ran one from the battery to the 8mm x 1.25 hole in the front of the left cylinder head and the other to the ground lug on the left fender. I have not had a single starting problem since.

It's been one week and still not one starting issue. I'm feeling very fixed. Who knew it was that easy!

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.

Last edited by jacktuttle; 09-19-2015 at 09:06 AM.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-15-2015, 03:56 PM

according to this conversation I think you should install the security system in it.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-08-2015, 10:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Skeeter Michelle

jacktuttle, why can't you be in houston when i need you? lol
post #13 of 13 Old 10-09-2015, 02:12 AM
Rock God

I ran it from the battery negative to the alternator bracket. The bolt on top.

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode