HID's for Headlights and Foglights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 05-03-2010, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Rubicon OIF 09
HID's for Headlights and Foglights

I just ordered a 55 watt hi/lo beam 5000k and 35 watt foglight 3000k for my 08 rubicon from DDMTUNING. Anyone currnetly running HID kits experience any problems? Pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks

2014 Unlimited Rubicon X in Bright White!
3.5 Rock Krawler X factor lift, Truck Light headlights, a couple Rigged Industries light bars and Nitto Mud Grapples 37x13.50R17 on KMC Rockstar II's, Uniden Bearcat CB, RIPP Supercharger, Smitty BUilt 10k wireless winch with synthetic line, LUX Rock Lites, Rancho 9000 shocks, Crawler Concepts front bumper sprayed with Line-X, Grab Bars on the interior, with all Kicker Speakers including the kicker hide away sub in addition to the factory sub

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Rock God

I got my headlight and fog light kit from vvme.com. they are great so far.

Headlights
http://www.vvme.com/12v-5055w-h132-h...cPath=44_53_48

Fog lights
http://www.vvme.com/12v-5055w-h10-hi...cPath=44_45_26

I also got the error canceller for HID.
http://www.vvme.com/universal-for-al....html?cPath=39

I am happy with how bright these are. No pics so far.

JKOutcast Member
post #3 of 22 Old 05-03-2010, 01:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLYSUPER View Post

Headlights

Fog lights

Do you need a cancellor kit for the fog lights or just for the headlights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 05-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Rock God

Just the Headlights

JKOutcast Member
post #5 of 22 Old 05-03-2010, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Crap! The guy asked me if I needed the headlight cancelor kit too. I didn't think chrysler was that advanced! Is that something I should call back and order?

Quote:
Just the Headlights

3.5 Rock Krawler X factor lift, Truck Light headlights, a couple Rigged Industries light bars and Nitto Mud Grapples 37x13.50R17 on KMC Rockstar II's, Uniden Bearcat CB, RIPP Supercharger, Smitty BUilt 10k wireless winch with synthetic line, LUX Rock Lites, Rancho 9000 shocks, Crawler Concepts front bumper sprayed with Line-X, Grab Bars on the interior, with all Kicker Speakers including the kicker hide away sub in addition to the factory sub

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 Old 05-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Rock God

Yes. if not they going to do the blinky thingy.

JKOutcast Member
post #7 of 22 Old 05-03-2010, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

What did you do to your headlights? They look dark? Are they replacements or spray tint?

Quote:
Just the Headlights

post #8 of 22 Old 05-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Rock God

I removed those and got the OEM ones back on with the HID kit. I had a black out headlight kit but it sucked balls.

JKOutcast Member
post #9 of 22 Old 05-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Rock God

also check this thread with picks and install tips
https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21761

JKOutcast Member
post #10 of 22 Old 05-03-2010, 02:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

You will need the kit to stop the flicker on the headlights or you can but a capacitor and do it yourself. The fogs are a non issue and ug and play no issues, headlights flicker if you don't have the capacitor like I said. Once installed turn the headlight adjusting screw about 3/4's of a turn to lower them so you don't blind everyone and get flashed all the time.
And order a extra high low bulb so you have it cause you can't exactly run to autozone and get them. I finally removed all my hid crap and put in the cebies, much better! The hid warm up was annoying along with messing up radio stations. But it was worth it x100 compared to stock.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #11 of 22 Old 05-03-2010, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

That thread was exactly what I needed. I asked the guy about the error code and he said I would be fine! I'm adding it to my order now. Thanks again for all this. I love preventing headaches!

Quote:
also check this thread with picks and install tips
https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21761

post #12 of 22 Old 05-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Rock God

Glad it helped.

JKOutcast Member
post #13 of 22 Old 05-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Wheeler

I put the silverstar lamps in the headlights - good upgrade

tried to get them for the fog lamps - was told that they are not available. Quadrateck was no help.

JP

2010 Sahara unlimited
post #14 of 22 Old 01-09-2011, 09:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Headlights

Fog lights

OLD POST I KNOW -

Question on the FogLights - Why did you go with the 50w/55w HID kit vs. the digitial slim kit, Relay harness HID kit, or standart HID kit?

Link to different kits available - http://www.vvme.com/page.html?chapter=1&id=33
post #15 of 22 Old 01-12-2011, 07:19 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
The fogs are a non issue and ug and play no issues,
How do you define "issues"?
The illegal bootleg rebased HID capsules that you installed have igniters that draw fairly high amperage at start-up. Don't you think this might do something to your stock wiring after a while?

I mean, besides that fact that they're illegal, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pemberton View Post
I put the silverstar lamps in the headlights - good upgrade
There are better H13 bulbs that put out more light and last longer.
The Phillips Xtreme Power is the best direct replacement you can get right now.
Silverstars are merely blue-tinted bulbs that your eyes can't focus on or with. That's why they look brighter. They aren't though; you can't fool a meter as easily as you can fool your eyes.

Safety fast,

Get to know
post #16 of 22 Old 01-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to jocrazy0

My issues with HID lights have been they are TOO bright for normal highway driving. getting them adjusted so they won't be a hazard to other drivers has been a pain and no luck so far (I have mine installed in my CIBIE housings. I may try the originals and see if a different technology improves the pattern).

I had the Silverstars in prior to the HID mainly because the H4 OSRAMs earlier installed failed in 12 months (within a day of each other). The Silverstars are more available (and I still carry two as spares) but the light output is mediocre, not nearly as good as the H4 OSRAMS.

I replaced my fog lamps with 55watt 9005 lights. (I do have relays with diodes and capacitors to switch the circuits for the lights so I have had zero computer issues or flicker). The 9005s go in the same fog lamp mount with a bit of finagling. They are brighter, but I think I prefer something a bit more yellow for fog lamps. (as FOG LAMPS not DRIVING LAMPS which at least half of the other drivers seem to think is so cool.... run with the FOG LAMPS on all the time. What do they not understand about the FOG in "FOG LAMPS"?

2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
1972 C104 Commando - Bone stock

Last edited by jocrazy0; 01-12-2011 at 05:36 PM.
post #17 of 22 Old 01-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocrazy0 View Post
as FOG LAMPS not DRIVING LAMPS which at least half of the other drivers seem to think is so cool.... run with the FOG LAMPS on all the time. What do they not understand about the FOG in "FOG LAMPS"?
When our lights are as shitty as they are, do you blame people from running with fogs whenever possible?

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #18 of 22 Old 01-12-2011, 06:00 PM
JKO Addict!

not really, I ran my fogs when I had them because of that exact thing.

I'm sending my stock lenses out very soon to have the TRUE HID ballasts installed instead of this bulb thing you guys are doing.

Will have REAL HID lights with the stock lens. Different rear housing, and it will be a plug and play type of scenario.

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #19 of 22 Old 01-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourplyn View Post
not really, I ran my fogs when I had them because of that exact thing.

I'm sending my stock lenses out very soon to have the TRUE HID ballasts installed instead of this bulb thing you guys are doing.

Will have REAL HID lights with the stock lens. Different rear housing, and it will be a plug and play type of scenario.
You mean projector HIDs vs using HIDs in the stock reflector?

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #20 of 22 Old 01-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Granite Guru

how about caring for people on the road and not blinding them?Most hid kit should not even be legal.Im so tired here in Fort Mcmurray half of the truck are lifted use HID and are not aim properly....use a proper set of hi quality halogen for your daily drive.

Send a email to that guy he will provide you with a proper kit and wiring for your jeep .

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...fog_lamps.html

Winter is coming.

Last edited by virtual_mage; 01-13-2011 at 03:27 PM.
post #21 of 22 Old 01-13-2011, 05:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
how about caring for people on the road and not blinding them?Most hid kit should not even be legal.Im so tired here in Fort Mcmurray half of the truck are lifted use HID and are not aim properly....use a proper set of hi quality halogen for your daily drive.

Send a email to that guy he will provide you with a proper kit and wiring for your jeep .

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...fog_lamps.html
I hear you. That being said, I'm still putting an HID kit in this JK (as I've already purchased it). The next one (either next year, or a 2012) will go with quality halogen lights and fogs with HIDs for auxiliary lighting.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #22 of 22 Old 01-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
When our lights are as shitty as they are, do you blame people from running with fogs whenever possible?
But the fogs just provide foreground illumination and actually mess with your distance sight.
Which is fine if you're just going 25 mph. But, if you're on the highway, turn off the fogs. Humans are very poor judges of how they're own vision is performing.
The reason that the new foglight regulations were thrust upon us is because people were using their foglights inappropriately.

Safety fast,

Get to know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode