Audio experts please HELP. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-03-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Audio experts please HELP.

I just got an extra set of the JK premium audio system w/o the head-unit or amp. Just $40.

I want to, or i am thinking if is possible to change the factory Amp and just install all the extra speakers and Sub and that would be good enough. I'm good w mechanical and electrical but when it comes down to audio set up I'm just out of my league.

If i can do this spending the minimal amount of money i would reach my goal. Upgrading in the cheap not having to spend lots of money changing my perfectly working system. School me on this and let me know what yall think about it.

Regarding on where and how i will put the extra stuff, i got plenty of ideas. I just need to know if a simple amp upgrade will do.

Thanks

JKOutcast Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-03-2010, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Anybody. I would like to do this tomorrow.

JKOutcast Member

Last edited by ONLYSUPER; 05-03-2010 at 02:22 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-03-2010, 02:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

For the 40 bucks you have in it and if what you have is cheaper speakers installed from the factory then yes it will most likely sound better due to better speaker quality and should be an easy plug and play type of deal.

When you have the money start with a aftermarket radio and go from there, most of the new aftermarket hu's put out more power than a stock set up. After that get a 5 channel amp and run all new wires due to the stock wiring being so thin. Plus this way you will have bypassed all the canbus limitations and problems. Remember that no matter what you do it is a jeep and the speaker locations are in the worst locations possible and pointing in the worst possible direction as well so be rady to play with it to get it where you want. Iwould reccomend a good dsp to be able to have better control of the speakers and create a better sound stage, but what do I know I can barely hear from doing all this stuff back in the day.

But if you have the cheapest of the cheap in now anything above that will be better, but lime I stated until you remove the limitations of the stock radio and the canbus system you will probably stay frustrated.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-03-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I forgot to say that i have the infinity sound system on it and i just got and extra set. I just wanted to add more speakers and prob change the amp.

JKOutcast Member
post #5 of 10 Old 05-03-2010, 03:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Add more speakers, where are you going to put them?
post #6 of 10 Old 05-03-2010, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I got some ideas, but i want to get the facts down on what do i need to do this. If is too much of a hassle then i would just do something else w it.

JKOutcast Member
post #7 of 10 Old 05-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Rock God

you would have to wire up another amp to the head unit and split off the rca's from the back of the head unit. personally I think you would be way better off just replacing your factory speakers with some better aftermarket ones.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Wheeler

depends on how many speakers you want to add to the factory HU... you can do this but you need to keep the ohm rating correct. if you wire the speakers correctly then you can run 2 speakers per "channel" and be safe. here is a link to help understand ohm's in speaker configurations. hope this helps

http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm
post #9 of 10 Old 05-03-2010, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Cool dude, that helps a lot. I will try some of this configs and see how it works. Ive seen it before but thought it was FUBAR.

JKOutcast Member
post #10 of 10 Old 05-03-2010, 11:31 PM

Whatever you do, put some type of Dynomat or equal in the speaker enclosures. Never used to think that stuff worked, but I replaced the stock speakers with better speakers that drove more sound and it sounded like someone thumping a trash can with a woofle ball bat. I used the Autozone sound insulating mat in the enclosures and it made a huge difference. Well worth the extra cheese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode