Sticky Gauge Cluster Needles... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-20-2015, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Sticky Gauge Cluster Needles...

I have been searching everywhere for a solution to my problem.

I have a 2007 jeep wrangler and I pulled the gauge cluster out so I could install temporary colored stage gel to change the color lights. In doing so I removed the cluster needles. Upon installation I realized I don't know where to set the needles!

I soon made sense of this by warming the vehicle and installing the temp needle at the halfway. The fuel gauge I installed at full after filling up. Both while vehicle was running. The RPM and Speedo where set at "zero" while Jeep was off.

The problems I am experiencing are:
- Needles do not rise and fall smoothly. It is as if they are sticking.
-The needles all twitch or fluctuate when some sort of power is applied to the vehicle (ie lock/unlock with remote, or key in and turned to "on") and I don't remember this being "normal"
-Now, even after I "calibrated my Needles, I reinstalled the jeep doors and they offset from where they were... ie Fuel gauge basically dropped down by 100%.

I have reset them multiple times, I know that pressing too hard may cause sticking. But even at pressed only halfway in (not close to flush) they still stick.

I am at a loss and need some help before I go to the Stealership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-20-2015, 12:42 PM
JkO Approved Vendor

Yikes, can't say I've heard of that one before

There are companies out there who specialize in gauge cluster modifications though!

Have you contacted anyone aside from the stealership?

Nick C.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-20-2015, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
Yikes, can't say I've heard of that one before

There are companies out there who specialize in gauge cluster modifications though!

Have you contacted anyone aside from the stealership?

Nick C.
I have not contacted the dealership yet. and probably wont ever. I mean this is something I could deal with but I prefer they work 100%.

I don't know of any places I could contact...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-20-2015, 01:36 PM
JkO Approved Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonygunslinger View Post
I have not contacted the dealership yet. and probably wont ever. I mean this is something I could deal with but I prefer they work 100%.

I don't know of any places I could contact...
Gotcha, well, I'm not sure what to suggest

Nick C.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-20-2015, 02:36 PM
Granite Guru

Not exactly what you are looking at, but there is a gauge mount for your jk. Its designed for the interceptor gauges but any gauge will work.

http://www.slickrockoffroad.com/jk-w...ual-gauge-pod/

http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_interceptor.html
post #6 of 9 Old 08-21-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Hank View Post
Not exactly what you are looking at, but there is a gauge mount for your jk. Its designed for the interceptor gauges but any gauge will work.

http://www.slickrockoffroad.com/jk-w...ual-gauge-pod/

http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_interceptor.html
Yea, that's beyond what I am looking into right now. Worst case scenario I will have to yank my whole cluster and by another/used on. But at that point I'd rather stuff autometers in there... Which I wonder if anyone has done this on their basically stock jeep...
post #7 of 9 Old 08-21-2015, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

post #8 of 9 Old 08-24-2015, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Anyone ever run into any electrical noise issues like this? Or dealt with forever sticky needles???
post #9 of 9 Old 08-24-2015, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

all I can offer is that on this forum ( or maybe another; use your Google-Fu) some JKU owner decided to manually go thru and re-solder his entire circuit-board behind the dash with colored LEDs ; a tedious and lengthy process that yielded sorta decent results ( too red, I recall) but his first lesson and thing he 'caught' was how vital his nearly missing his chance to TAPE MARK every gauge needle prior to removing the needles.
That does you no good but from what you're describing it sure sounds as though you have either this 'temporary gel' colored film ' sheet or the actual faceplate with the dial markings possibly touching the posts which the needles are attached to? if something is rubbing against the gauge pin that the indicator needle is so delicately rotating upon, it could cause all manner of havoc; This, too, is just the analog side of the coin as who knows what the ECU thinks is going on ...have you reset the battery and touched the positive to negative terminal contacts to eliminate there being any static or f-ed up setting? I am taking total stabs in the dark, no pun intended.,
I would think just slapping this gel behind the plexiglass instead of disassembling the gauge cluster would probably yield about the same colored look but without goofin up the instrument cluster...hope ya get it fixed!

<edit: here, maybe of use; maybe too-little-too-late...hope it helps.....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/d...hange-1287564/ >

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 08-24-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode