Solar panels - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-18-2015, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Solar panels

Good day everyone I am thinking on buying 1 or 2 of the Coleman 2.5watt solar panels as I have a 1000w power invertor in my 07 JK rubicon and would like to keep the battery up and will be good for when I do the dual battery mod
what all would I need and does anyone else have solar panels in or On their jeeps
Would like to see the set ups

Last edited by 07Rubicon; 08-18-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-18-2015, 04:56 PM
Rock God

I run solar panels on quite a few pieces of equipment in our rail yard.
2.5 watts for the car sized batteries, and 5 watts for the larger heavy equipment sized batteries.
They will keep the batteries topped up, but are not enough to charge them in any kind of timely manner if they are run down at all.
If you are going to run an inverter, you will need to have a bigger solar array to keep ahead of it. 5 watts is less than half and amp; only a small trickle charge at best.

48 watts with a controller will give the battery approximately 3 to 4 amps under ideal sunlight, which still isn't a fast charge.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #3 of 6 Old 08-18-2015, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Would like to see some set up photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-19-2015, 12:31 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Rubicon View Post
Would like to see some set up photos
While waiting for some forum members to show their setups, google "solar panels on Jeeps". That will bring plenty of pictures of the size of solar array you'll need to stay ahead of a small draw on the battery.

In my case, a 2.5w panel could not replace what the inverter and a 130w electric blanket took from the aux battery through an 8 hour night. (I was sleeping in the Jeep, at 17F, with the covered electric blanket over the sleeping bag.) It ran for 4 nights, and the battery went dead sometime during the 5th night. The Jeep was not started during the 5 day working trip, so alternator charging was not an option. Had it been a wheeling trip, the battery would have started each night with a fresh and full charge, no solar needed at all.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #5 of 6 Old 08-21-2015, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I did a Google search and any that I seen r bigger then the one I am looking at and r different reasons
post #6 of 6 Old 09-06-2015, 12:44 PM
Rock God

I have two 15W and one 30W GoalZero panels mounted on my roof rack. The GoalZero panels are pricey compared to some, but they are well made and durable plus they are UV type solar cells which means they work even on cloudy days. I have them connected to a GoalZero Guardian smart charger to keep the battery topped but I can easily unplug them from the Guardian and plug them into other things if necessary. The Guardian can only handle up to 90W of input, but I'm thinking of getting more panels still, although I may or may not mount them on the roof.

As for the roof rack, I fabricated it myself several years ago, and put nutserts spaced about every 12" all along the side length and cross members. Most of the time I have button head socket cap screws in the nutserts but I can take them out and put eye bolts for strapping points or mount other things according to need. I fabricated a frame for the solar panels, bolted the panels into the frame and bolted the frame to the roof rack.

The only reason I have two 15W panels with the 30W panel is because I started off with a 15W panel and then bought another 15W panel a year later and then the 30W panel a couple years later. When I bought the first one I don't think that they even made to 30W panels yet. I didn't build the frame or mount them until I got the 30W panel. I saved a bit of money on the panels because I would buy them when GoalZero had their roadshows at Costco.

I gotta be me cause everyone else was already taken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode