My battery keep dying. What could that be? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-10-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Age: 46
Posts: 454
Feedback: 0 reviews
My battery keep dying. What could that be?

About a month ago, I could not start my jeep - my battery was dead. Not completely dead - it would give the cabin and instrument lights, but would not start. Oh well, I charged it from my other car, started my jeep and went for about an hour of drive on the freeway, seemed the battery has charged back on and I was able to start my jeep on the next day.
A week later (jeep was staying in the garage for a week) same problem, can's start it. Ok, I figured it is time to get a new battery. I bought new one from Sears - Die Hard Platinum and replaced it on the same day. I drove jeep on a weekend and then again put it in the garage for a week. Yesterday, after a week of staying untouched, I wanted to drive it and dam - same problem: gives me cabin lights, instrument lights, even radio, but not enough crank to start Jeep. THIS IS ON NEW BATTERY, what could it possibly be?
SFBayArea is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 08-10-2015, 11:27 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 685
Feedback: 0 reviews

It could be a number of things that are causing this condition .
First is a ignition off draw from some devise . This would be my first guess , have you recently installed any new things that are connected to your electrical system .
Second did you have a moisture induced event , something get wet IE playing in the water causing corrosion condition .

Third weak connection at battery , old cables ? Really need to get out the Volt_OLM meter and start to diagnose the issue, there are many threads on this on this site .
Fourth you can have a failure of a devise that can draw from the battery that should go off and doesn't .

If you don't have any experience with automotive electrical systems , get help from some one who dose . Hands on experience is something that is invaluable , Its not that hard .

Good Luck and report back , others can learn from your experience .
un lupus is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 08-10-2015, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Age: 46
Posts: 454
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by un lupus View Post
It could be a number of things that are causing this condition .
First is a ignition off draw from some devise . This would be my first guess , have you recently installed any new things that are connected to your electrical system .
Second did you have a moisture induced event , something get wet IE playing in the water causing corrosion condition .

Third weak connection at battery , old cables ? Really need to get out the Volt_OLM meter and start to diagnose the issue, there are many threads on this on this site .
Fourth you can have a failure of a devise that can draw from the battery that should go off and doesn't .

If you don't have any experience with automotive electrical systems , get help from some one who dose . Hands on experience is something that is invaluable , Its not that hard .

Good Luck and report back , others can learn from your experience .
No new devices installed on the jeep, all of my system as is for years now.
I have not played in the water to cause corrosion. However, its been topless for last few months and sometime staying on the street, though, we don't see much rain in East Bay of San Francisco.
Cables are original, but they are only 5 years old, so not THAT old.
SFBayArea is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old 08-10-2015, 11:44 AM
Rock God
 
Jonboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 829
Feedback: 0 reviews

What after-market items electric items have been installed on the jeep? After-market alarm? Radio? anything? Or is the electrical system plus accessories 100% stock?

I'd use a multimeter and start pulling fuses, one by one, until I found the circuit that was still causing a current draw after the vehicle was powered down. Once you've isolated the circuit, you can continue to troubleshoot from there.
Jonboy is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 08-10-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Age: 46
Posts: 454
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
What after-market items electric items have been installed on the jeep? After-market alarm? Radio? anything? Or is the electrical system plus accessories 100% stock?

I'd use a multimeter and start pulling fuses, one by one, until I found the circuit that was still causing a current draw after the vehicle was powered down. Once you've isolated the circuit, you can continue to troubleshoot from there.
I have some aftermarket lights and light bar, but both installed few years ago.
SFBayArea is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 08-10-2015, 06:01 PM
JKO Addict!
 
nlgrav182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,401
Feedback: 2 reviews

You have any cell phone chargers plugged in, maybe to a constant source?

Gotta be a draw somewhere. Disconnect everything aftermarket, even the stuff you installed years ago, and try to identify the source. Maybe some mouse nibbled some wires and damaged something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
nlgrav182 is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 08-10-2015, 06:41 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 685
Feedback: 0 reviews

Also I've heard of the security system causing a current draw , If I remember correctly it was a thread here on JKO some months ago .

I'll see if I can find it ,or maybe the original poster can chime in and send you down the path to nirvana .
un lupus is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 08-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 685
Feedback: 0 reviews

TraumaGuy on 7-17-15 there is a thread there with a few answers .

PM those posters and see if they may have a easy solution .

There were a couple of posts in regard to sway bar disconnect on Rubi-E Disco's that were causing ignition off draws from corrosion on the electrical harness .

Is yours a Rubi ?
un lupus is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 08-11-2015, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Age: 46
Posts: 454
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by un lupus View Post
TraumaGuy on 7-17-15 there is a thread there with a few answers .

PM those posters and see if they may have a easy solution .

There were a couple of posts in regard to sway bar disconnect on Rubi-E Disco's that were causing ignition off draws from corrosion on the electrical harness .

Is yours a Rubi ?
Yes, mine is Rubi.
SFBayArea is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 08-11-2015, 11:43 AM
JKO Addict!
 
ShortBus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North TX
Age: 42
Posts: 3,213
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

CB installed? I know mine for some reason when connected directly to the battery has a low amp draw because it has a weatehr radio func., too. THis drain my battery when left to sit for a week,so I had to disconnect my CB and will need to run it through a master switch.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
ShortBus is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 08-11-2015, 08:33 PM
Rock God
 
Jonboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 829
Feedback: 0 reviews

One potentially easy way to test if its the rubi sway bar is to pull the fuse that powers it. Not sure what else it powers, but likely nothing critical.
Jonboy is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 08-11-2015, 09:31 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 315
Feedback: 0 reviews

Your local big box auto parts store will likely do battery checks for free.
nj jk is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 08-11-2015, 10:29 PM
Granite Guru
 
Homeless Hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Carrollton, TX
Age: 49
Posts: 361
Feedback: 0 reviews

I think someone on the forum talked about someone like this. Wont fix your issue, but can help you get going.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Demand-A.../dp/B00OJ8SKHE
Homeless Hank is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 08-17-2015, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Age: 46
Posts: 454
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
One potentially easy way to test if its the rubi sway bar is to pull the fuse that powers it. Not sure what else it powers, but likely nothing critical.
How can I find out which fuse is for Rubi sway bar disconnect?

Also, not sure if it is related, but a week before my battery died, I had a dealership do the full tranny flash work.
SFBayArea is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 08-17-2015, 11:43 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 685
Feedback: 0 reviews

I'm not positive but just for giggles disconnect the sway bar connector at the harness connection and see if it cures the power draw .
If so it didn't cost any money and you eliminate one known problem .
un lupus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome