Locker Mod....Anyone done this? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-25-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Locker Mod....Anyone done this?

I have been looking into the locker bypass and want to make sure that I have all my homework done before I start wiring. Can I pull my ignition switched 12v + source off of something in the cab like the cig lighter or the unused seat heater (these are both 20amp fuse protected right?). I then want to go from this power source through my Carling switch directly to the coil side of the factory locker relay (positive switching without relay). Or do I need to install an isolation relay and switch the ground like everyone else has done? Thanks.

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-25-2010, 05:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Here is a thread with everything you need to know.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24664
post #3 of 9 Old 04-25-2010, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

That is an excellent post but its not what I am trying to do. That guy just did a simple grounded switch with no lights.

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillidge View Post
Here is a thread with everything you need to know.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24664
Did this mod to my Rubi. Very easy, and works just like Mr. Smack said it would.

Never Underestimate The Power Of STUPID People In Large Numbers
post #5 of 9 Old 04-25-2010, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I understand that it is a great way of doing it and that it works but I'm wanting to do something different because of the switches I purchased.

post #6 of 9 Old 04-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Sounds like alot of extra work & the possibility of F'ing something up. But hey, too each their own. Good Luck! Let us know how it works out for ya.

Never Underestimate The Power Of STUPID People In Large Numbers
post #7 of 9 Old 04-25-2010, 08:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Please take this better than it is going to come out, it's a fucking switch and a switch and a switch is a switch is a switch, you are over thinking it and everyone is trying to point out the best and safest time proven way to do it, if you want to do it a different way then by all means do so and good luck. As for your switch it can be wired as discussed in the write ups and the illumination for the switch can be directly wired off the lighting for the ac or other lighting wires, I'm OCD and would still use a rise as well but that's just me. I would never run the power through the switch without being fused, but I still like my switches to be ground type and trigger a relay then power supply out if need be but if something can be done just by ground wires I like it much better for the fact of less hot wires running everywhere to go sparky sparky.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Rock God

Garage

I've done it, using the Carling switches.

If you are looking to get the "on" indicator to work, you must use a relay. The power runs through your switch like normal, but powers a relay that applies the ground to the recommended wire in the write-up. Works like a charm.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #9 of 9 Old 04-26-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks Rob, I appreciate the honesty. If I didn't want the opinions I wouldn't have asked. You guys are right though, I am just going to put in a couple of relays and switch the grounds like everyone else has done so successfully. I just thought that it might be neat to see if anyone had run the power through the switch to power the coil on the factory relay.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode