Can you dim an LED? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Can you dim an LED?

OK all you electrical gurus, I just bought some Carling type switches and they contain 2 LEDS. One for the Icon and one for the switch "on" status. Is it possible to wire the upper LED into the dash light dimming circuit and if so where and what color is that wire? I am assuming that the lower light pulls its power from the #2 incoming power source and only will light when the switch is on. Thanks for the education.

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to joeglock

yes add a restior.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I do understand that by adding a resistor in-line with the LED that you can make it dimmer, but will it respond just like your other dash lights when wired into the dimmer circuit or will that only work with incandescents? Isn't that circuit just a big adjustable resistor?

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 11:35 AM
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2x View Post
OK all you electrical gurus, I just bought some Carling type switches and they contain 2 LEDS. One for the Icon and one for the switch "on" status. Is it possible to wire the upper LED into the dash light dimming circuit and if so where and what color is that wire? I am assuming that the lower light pulls its power from the #2 incoming power source and only will light when the switch is on. Thanks for the education.
Yes if you tap into the dash light for power the leds will dim.

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the reply. Any chance you can tell me where to access and what color that wire might be?

post #6 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 11:48 AM
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2x View Post
Thanks for the reply. Any chance you can tell me where to access and what color that wire might be?
Its been along time since I did mine but I picked up the dash light off the rear of the heat / ac controls. I think it was an orange and white wire, but like I said its been awhile.

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Wheeler

most led's you try and put on a dimmer will not last to long. even the LED LIGHT BULBS they are making now R not dimmable yet. i have tried using voltage reg's and different types of resistors and they always burn out pretty quick.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 03:32 PM
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by petzl View Post
most led's you try and put on a dimmer will not last to long. even the LED LIGHT BULBS they are making now R not dimmable yet. i have tried using voltage reg's and different types of resistors and they always burn out pretty quick.
Have had my led's hooked up to the dimmer switch for over two years now with no problems at all. When ever I have my headlights on, the leds are dimmed and it has not hurt them at all.

DIY Hemi build

Last edited by dsy; 04-26-2010 at 11:18 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by petzl View Post
They should only burn out quick if they get too much power. They will glow from completely out to their full intensity and anywhere in between based on the power they get. Don't go over their rating and all is well.

-Randy

2007 JKU (ex)Rubicon w/bolt-ons: LS3 / 6L80E Synergy Long Arm 4.5" Lift 40"s Dana 60s PSC Hydro etc.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 09:15 PM
JKO Addict!

what model switch and where ya getting them? I am only finding the ones that are "lit when on" ones
post #11 of 12 Old 04-27-2010, 09:48 AM
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
what model switch and where ya getting them? I am only finding the ones that are "lit when on" ones
http://www.otrattw.com/index.php

They dont show the rockers with leds on their site but you can call them. This is the email I got from him.

we currently have SPST ON/OFF switches available with amber LEDs and
red/green LEDs, and a few DPDT VJD1G switches in red/green.

We have DPDT ON/ON switches coming in this week with amber LEDs. The ON/ON
switch has both LEDs independently wired. These can be wired to have either
the top or bottom LED attached into the dash light circuit, and can be wired
to have this LED turn off when the switch is turned ON leaving only the one
LED ON at night.

We have been testing white, red, blue, and green LEDs in the Contura
switches and will have a better selection available this year.

Thanks,

Jim

DIY Hemi build
post #12 of 12 Old 04-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Rock God

Dimming led's is easy, you PWM them and adjust the duty cycle. This can be done with a 555 timer CMOS chip. Led's dimmed off the headlamp circuit will dim a bit, but then extinguish. There's a trick to dimming them, you must control the current not the voltage. The dimmer in the jeep controls voltage.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode