CB newbie, got a few questions. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-25-2010, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

CB newbie, got a few questions.

I just intsalled my Cobra 29LTD in my Jeep. I went to tune it per instructions, and I'm not sure if I tuned it right. I've got good coax cable, no kinks or loops in the wire and a 3 ft Wilson flextip antenna. I went to a large open parking lot to tune my radio. I just can't seem to get as good of reception or transmit as I hoped to. I've been reading here how to tune a cb, and googled a bunch of instructions, to no avail.

When I turn the radio on with the jeep running, I get a lot of static on the radio. Is there a filter or some CB voodoo I can use to fix that? The radio has a noise limiter it says is for engine interference, but it doesn't seem to help. At all.

I'm tuning the radio with the built in SWR meter, but can't seem to get channels 1 and 40 to match SWR readings. Any tips? What is an "ideal" SWR reading for channels 1 and 40? The antenna said something like 2:1, but I have no idea what that means...

Thanks for any input, and sorry for the rookie questions. I just want to get this damn thing working right.

08 Unlimited Steel Blue
All Sorts of Crap on it

In the space of about 30 seconds, this man was in a car accident, an explosion, lit aflame and then kicked in the balls with more force than a human foot can technically take.

Future terrorists take note: this is your retirement package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-25-2010, 09:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sounds like you're gonna have to get an SWR instead of the built in one. I'd start with a ground. I've got the same antenna and was getting wicked high SWR's. I attached the ground wire to the tailgate bracket on the inside of thetub (had to add a little black wire) and got great readings without using the adjusting tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube
Once upon a time grown men didn't act like assholes for no reason nor get butt-hurt by complete strangers.

Then the internet was born.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Granite Guru

The lawdog is right. Grounding is the key. I have my Cobra 75 wired directly to the battery terminals and also have my antenna bracket grounded to the tub just inside the gate. My initial try for tuning on the 3 foot Wilson flex was SWR readings of 1.1 and 1.5. After some minor adjustments I have all channels running 1.2. For good troubleshooting and wiring advice take a look at www.rightchannelradios.com. They have a great website for information and even a video on how to tune your antenna. Good luck.

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-25-2010, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks guys. The antenna came with a ground wire, and the guy at the cb shop told me to cut the ground wire off. He said it was for fiberglass rv's. I might be up a creek... Dammit.

My radio is wired directly to the battery terminal. I can hear most channels fine. I feel pretty lost right now...oh well. I'll just keep at it and hope something works.

08 Unlimited Steel Blue
All Sorts of Crap on it

In the space of about 30 seconds, this man was in a car accident, an explosion, lit aflame and then kicked in the balls with more force than a human foot can technically take.

post #5 of 8 Old 04-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Granite Guru

My ground wire for my antenna is NOT currently hooked up. My antenna mounting BRACKET is grounded to the vehicle tub. Seriously, check out that website I posted. You can learn alot. By the way, is your mounting bracket grounded?

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson
post #6 of 8 Old 04-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Wheeler

I may be remembering wrong, but I didn't think that wire coming off the antenna was the antenna ground? At any rate, like the others have said, getting that mount grounded to the tub is the key. Use a decent gauge wire, like 8 or 10.

Personally I never got mine to match across the band. But it was 1.5:1 on one side and 1.2:1 on the other, and everything seems fine for me.

-Brian
post #7 of 8 Old 04-25-2010, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I think it's working now. I called Skippman and he was able to get me going. Everything is coming in loud and clear. The radio is good to go, now I just need to fix the problem with the operator. The radio site you posted up helped alot. Answered a bunch of questions I didn't even know I had.

08 Unlimited Steel Blue
All Sorts of Crap on it

post #8 of 8 Old 04-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Granite Guru

Glad you are back on track. Enjoy the CB.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode