Mygig radio help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 08-02-2015, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Mygig radio help

hey everyone, just recently purchased my first wrangler, a 2010 sport. While the stock radio is u connect compatible I would like to upgrade to a MyGig touchscreen radio. I have checked threads and I have seen a couple different models and was interested in which would be the best choice, my main concern would be having blutooth as well as ipod/iphone integration. Anyone have any ideas which radio i should go with as well as what other parts would be nessicary for iphone/bt.?

Thanks, -Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-02-2015, 11:39 AM
TJT
Rock God

Welcome to JKO Dennis.

I added MyGig to my '09 several years back, in 2009 since my Jeep came with the 6disk in-dash CD player. I bought the radio off ebay ($600 If I recall correctly,) from an '09 Ram Truck and it was a plug-and-play operation with no additional harnesses to add. For the U-Connect and microphone addition I bought two kits from MOPAR and spliced them together to run the mic into the OEM interior piece that I bought from a '10 that goes up in the driver's side A-Pillar.

BEing you have a 2010, you should have an extra harness behind the radio that runs from behind the radio and over to the A-Pillar to connect your microphone (regardless if you have u-connect now or not.)

Now with all that said. I would advise you do not go with a MyGig radio. The technology is old, outdate, and wasn't really that great to begin with. Plus since they're a few years old, unless you're spending the $1800 on a new unit, which would be foolish, any used one is not going to have much life left in it. I am topless and doorless most of the time and the AZ heat and sunshine killed my MyGig radio in about 18months. It got to where the screen wouldn't register touch and would select things on it's own.

Instead of replacing it with another MyGig, I decided my phone was good enough as a gps device and I went with a single din multimedia deck from Kenwood and put the single din-sized Cobra CB radio underneath it. I don't miss the MyGig one-bit. The aftermarket radios today are easy to instal, more advanced and more affordable then they've ever been.

Let us know if you have any questions. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-02-2015, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! And thanks for the help, I didnt originally consider an aftermarket radio, but you make a very good point, all that really matters to me is iphone connectivity and blutooth, gps not so much. Any ideas of specific units that work well, id like to find one that fits well, how is the unit you bought treating you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode