IPAD in a JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 Old 04-22-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

IPAD in a JK

YouTube - Ipad JK cop4x4

Edit - Yeah, yeah, yeah....we know about Camp aka cop4x4. Lets focus on the product here!

Last edited by Grant211; 04-22-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 04-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Rock God

Wonder if he'll bash Safari Straps from his iPad?
https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread...=cop4x4+safari

I'd rather just install the Kenwood plug-n-play kit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Established April 1, 1983-
No dues, No rules, No President
ALL FUN!

Last edited by FUN LS1; 04-22-2010 at 05:28 PM.
post #3 of 71 Old 04-22-2010, 05:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

OK....that was badass!

I'd like to see how it comes it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube
Once upon a time grown men didn't act like assholes for no reason nor get butt-hurt by complete strangers.

Then the internet was born.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 Old 04-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Granite Guru

Great, now instead of people driving and playing with their phones or texting, I got to worry about someone playing on their I-Pad.

But what the Heck, the install looks good.....

08 Sahara Unlimited Auto / 4.5" BDS long Arm / 37" BFG KM2s / AEV Wheels & Hood / ARB Front & Rear Bumpers Line-Xed / Or-Fab Tire Carrier Line-Xed / Atlas Rubicrawler / Cobra 75CB / JKS disco's & Trackbar Brackets / EVO "C" Gusset's / 5:13 Gears / Speedo Recal / s-Pod / Warn Powerplant / Weather Tech Mats / Ultra CB Ant Mount / MBRP SS Exhaust / Jeep Trail Guide / FabFours Rock Rails / Evap Relocate / Tom Woods Drive Shafts / LightForce 170's Mopar Brackets / Viper TB / AeroForce Gauge

Last edited by boots; 04-22-2010 at 05:53 PM.
post #5 of 71 Old 04-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Granite Guru

I bet a dollar his shop didn't do it. Sittin there with his fat lyin ass.

Everybody has a photographic memory. Some people just have no film.
post #6 of 71 Old 04-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Granite Guru

I strongly dislike him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 71 Old 04-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Garage

That would be unbelievably awesome...

If I didn't ever wheel my shit, cause that iPad would be iBroken after one washboard Baja section.

Now, an iPad in my tow rig.. now we're talkin.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #8 of 71 Old 04-22-2010, 06:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

looks good, i mentioned in the other thread where they guy put one in a toyota that it would look good and be easy to fit in a jk, i bet there will be alot more ipads in cars now, id bet dash kit companys will start making kits to fit them

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #9 of 71 Old 04-22-2010, 06:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

x2 on the dislikeing of him, i also like how he doesnt know anything about it or how to use it well

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #10 of 71 Old 04-22-2010, 06:23 PM
JKO Addict!

hehehehe left the comments open !
post #11 of 71 Old 04-22-2010, 06:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice installation...but he's still a douche

Vidi, vici, veni

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #12 of 71 Old 04-22-2010, 06:35 PM
JKO Addict!

I am impressed my head-unit has lasted this long and I have killed enough Ipods that I will wait to see its end durability
post #13 of 71 Old 04-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Rock God

Anything with a solid state hard drive would work well in that kind of an application, but I would think that off-road the hard drive would be destroyed quickly. Also with everything being touchscreen I am sure that the dust from the top off would scratch the shit out of the screen, and it wouldn't survive one storm with the top off.

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #14 of 71 Old 04-22-2010, 06:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Yeah....agree with you doc
That would be absolutely sick in a car.
In a jeep? Nope.

Crocker's an ass too

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #15 of 71 Old 04-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Rock God

In a few days there will probably be a new thread by him with the first iPad stolen out of a JK.

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #16 of 71 Old 04-22-2010, 07:02 PM
JKO Addict!

if...wait

IF

The iPad proves to be durable it would be fucking brilliant, but I am not going to risk it on what is pretty much an overgrown ipod/computer and I have killed both

But in the "brilliant" aspect:

My head unit costs more and does less as a "computer".
the ipad simplifies all the shit I have in my head unit "IF" there is aps and or docking/plugs for it. IF I can bluetooth my normal phone, IF I can use it with google maps/GPS, if it has software that will EQ well, plugs to run RCA off of without any stupidity, a LOCKING DURABLE docking that allows me to remove the bitch if need, software to allow its to "act" like a car system (turn on/off with key, sensing plugs for reverse camera, power wires for amp remotes)

notice the lots of fucking ifs

sorry, I will wait till the tuner crowd unfucks that for me first
post #17 of 71 Old 04-22-2010, 07:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJon View Post
In a few days there will probably be a new thread by him with the first iPad stolen out of a JK.
x2 could you imagine leaving your Jeep doorless and topless parked with your ipad saying come rip me out of hear. How long you think it would last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #18 of 71 Old 04-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
x2 could you imagine leaving your Jeep doorless and topless parked with your ipad saying come rip me out of hear. How long you think it would last?
I guess if you have more money than brains like most of Camps customers then it wouldn't matter much.

I like the idea of a carputer because each aftermarket head unit has some flaw to it, and it would be nice to be able to use some of the nav systems that people are running on laptops. I would like to see a system like this that worked, was functional, durable, and inexpensive, but I don't think this is it/

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #19 of 71 Old 04-23-2010, 12:43 AM
Rock God

This just looks like way to much work to change the radio station. Um by the way, how would you do that? I didnt know that Ipads were radio turners. Other than that, the stealing part and the not really off road compatible part it would be cool.

Chicago area needs to work on the Jeep Wave!!![/
Jon, Chicago, IL The real Chicago, not the burbs
2008 Unlimited X-Black-Soft Top - Sold
2013 Unlimited Sport Hard top
Stock =(
Semper Fi
post #20 of 71 Old 04-23-2010, 01:14 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

The Ipad appears to be an oversized Ipod touch far as I can tell. I heard you can use it as a phone as long as there is At&T coverage which I know sucks ass....Why? More than a few times iphone owners have asked to use my phone to call their girls. The install looks clean and camp will be bringing this to market not sure when. I will swing by the shop to get alkl these questions answered soon.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #21 of 71 Old 04-23-2010, 01:31 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
The Ipad appears to be an oversized Ipod touch far as I can tell. I heard you can use it as a phone as long as there is At&T coverage which I know sucks ass....Why? More than a few times iphone owners have asked to use my phone to call their girls. The install looks clean and camp will be bringing this to market not sure when. I will swing by the shop to get alkl these questions answered soon.

Jason
The only way to make a phone call with the ipod touch is VoIP phone calls and you have to be using a freeware application called SIP-VoIP. Also since there is no speaker or mic on the ipod touch you will need a need a Touchmod mic b/c the iphone headphones with mics don't work with the iPod touch.

Chicago area needs to work on the Jeep Wave!!![/
Jon, Chicago, IL The real Chicago, not the burbs
2008 Unlimited X-Black-Soft Top - Sold
2013 Unlimited Sport Hard top
Stock =(
Semper Fi
post #22 of 71 Old 04-23-2010, 04:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i think the theft/damage part would be the hardest thing to overcome, around here if they cant steal it they smash it.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #23 of 71 Old 04-23-2010, 05:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Ok being a Mac fan, but not an Iphone user or fan due mainly to AT&T's lousy service, I would be lying if I said I haven't considered the Ipad as a possible replacement to my Home PC. And yes we have already seen a car installation of the Ipad, so it was just a mater of time before we saw this, just a shame it came from one of Hitler's sheeple vendors.

Anyway, before you get all goo-goo eyed over the idea of installing this in a Jeep, you might want to consider this small technical fact that is posted on Apple's site for the Ipad.

Environmental requirements

* Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
* Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
* Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
* Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

Down here in the southern states..ok, not so bad. But how about you northern boys, how many winter nights see temps below freezing? what happens to ice crystals when they warm up? Do this repeatedly and see how long electronics not designed for it will last. I know it says "noncondensing", but unless the internals are sealed in a vacuum I don't see how you can change the effects of heating and cooling air inside the device. Or how about you guys down in the Phoenix area, how warm are your Jeeps when you get in them during the day?

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of the Ipad and I like the direction this is going, but I think its a bit too soon to be running out and throwing a 1st generation electronic device into a vehicle that we all know are built for and exposed to the elements far more than most other vehicles. Ipad used BY a physical co-pilot...ok .....Ipad as a Jeeputer.....hmmmm, I have my doubts on long term survivability.

/

post #24 of 71 Old 04-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki646 View Post
Ok being a Mac fan, but not an Iphone user or fan due mainly to AT&T's lousy service, I would be lying if I said I haven't considered the Ipad as a possible replacement to my Home PC. And yes we have already seen a car installation of the Ipad, so it was just a mater of time before we saw this, just a shame it came from one of Hitler's sheeple vendors.

Anyway, before you get all goo-goo eyed over the idea of installing this in a Jeep, you might want to consider this small technical fact that is posted on Apple's site for the Ipad.

Environmental requirements

* Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
* Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
* Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
* Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

Down here in the southern states..ok, not so bad. But how about you northern boys, how many winter nights see temps below freezing? what happens to ice crystals when they warm up? Do this repeatedly and see how long electronics not designed for it will last. I know it says "noncondensing", but unless the internals are sealed in a vacuum I don't see how you can change the effects of heating and cooling air inside the device. Or how about you guys down in the Phoenix area, how warm are your Jeeps when you get in them during the day?

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of the Ipad and I like the direction this is going, but I think its a bit too soon to be running out and throwing a 1st generation electronic device into a vehicle that we all know are built for and exposed to the elements far more than most other vehicles. Ipad used BY a physical co-pilot...ok .....Ipad as a Jeeputer.....hmmmm, I have my doubts on long term survivability.
I would say darn close to 180* in the heat of the summer......Sucks working outside.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #25 of 71 Old 04-23-2010, 08:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Pass

And Crocker is a jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode