interior light help with power source - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-15-2015, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

interior light help with power source

tonight i began wiring the switches for my aux lights on a Ruged Ridge switch panel. but i have a weird problem

to feed the switches, i ran a wire from the Positive and another one from the Negative of the battery, directly to 3 switches, so i can turn any light ON without the key on the ignition. the fourth one will be powered by the cig lighter on the drivers side, which only has power with the key, but this one is not wired yet..

one switch i wired to a relay which triggers the LED aux lights on the windshield. these were already wired by the PO but using another switch on another location. he had installed the switch on the Negative wire, so i had to change it on the relay side. i put the switch on post 86, and grounded post 85 (he had them the other way around, switch to 85, POSITIVE from battery to 86). the PO had wired from the battery to post 87, and post 30 for the lights. a diagram i have shows the Positive from the battery should go to post 30, and post 87 goes to the lights, but it works as it is, so i left it like that, i dont know if i should change it???

another switch i will use for the rear aux lights, which i dont have yet, so i only wired the Pos, Neg, and the wire from the switch to the relay.

another one will be for courtesy lights on the footwells of both driver and passenger. i wanted to put also on the rear but have not found a good spot for the led strips... these lights are already wired and working.

now, i also wired another led strip above the switch plate. this one i tapped on the cig lighter's purple wire on the drivers side, so it will turn ON with the key... the negative of this led strip goes to the same negative from the battery to the switches....

now, the problem is.... the neg and pos wires that feed the switches are not hooked into the jeeps original terminals, as i dont have the proper connections yet. so, i disconnected the original terminals, and hooked the wires to thebattery with clamps just to test... the courtesy lights work as they should, and the other 2 switches light up when they are ON.... however, when i turn ON the switch for the windshield lights, the strip on top of the switches also turns ON.... remember this strip is wired to the cig lighter, which gets power from the original terminals, which are not hooked to the battery.... so, i dont understand where is this light getting power from... it uses the same ground as the switches, but the positive is different, and, to my understanding, which is obviously wrong, it shouldnt have power with the original terminals disconected... any ideas???

2007 JKU, 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, 285/70 17 mud terrains....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-16-2015, 07:10 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

This is how it should be wired. Mine and at least 2 other jeeps are wired this way and everything works just like it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-16-2015, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx Uncle Sam, i have it similar. this is how i wired it:

the thing is, besides the new "harness", im also tapping into the cig lighter, to have some lights turn on with the key....

now, as i said, wires labeled "a" and "b" (pos and neg), are not hooked into the jeeps original battery terminals yet... they are independent, and, to test, i disconnected the original terminals and connected ONLY "a" and "b" with the clamps... since the lights on "top of switches" get power from the cig lighter, it shouldnt turn ON with the original terminals disconnected.... however, when i turn ON switch #1, the leds on top of the switches also turn on....

i dont understand where are they getting power.... it wont be problem because those leds will always be ON, however, i dont want to short circuit something, and, i think that could cause the windshield lights to always be ON... so far i have not hooked both the original harness and the new one (a and b) to the battery, until i find out whats going on....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-16-2015, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

i just removed the relay which triggers the windshield lights, and now, with only A and B hooked to the battery, switch #1 will turn on its indicator light, but the led strip above the switches wont turn ON.... this makes me thing the current which feeds the cig lighter (and turns on the led strip) is passing through that relay.... but how???

post #5 of 12 Old 07-16-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu2kill View Post
thanx Uncle Sam, i have it similar. this is how i wired it:

the thing is, besides the new "harness", im also tapping into the cig lighter, to have some lights turn on with the key....

now, as i said, wires labeled "a" and "b" (pos and neg), are not hooked into the jeeps original battery terminals yet... they are independent, and, to test, i disconnected the original terminals and connected ONLY "a" and "b" with the clamps... since the lights on "top of switches" get power from the cig lighter, it shouldnt turn ON with the original terminals disconnected.... however, when i turn ON switch #1, the leds on top of the switches also turn on....

i dont understand where are they getting power.... it wont be problem because those leds will always be ON, however, i dont want to short circuit something, and, i think that could cause the windshield lights to always be ON... so far i have not hooked both the original harness and the new one (a and b) to the battery, until i find out whats going on....
I am having a real hard time trying to decipher what you are talking about.

What is the jeeps "original" battery terminal?

What are the lights on top of the switches?

What is the original harness?

How come there is no fuse in this?

It might not matter but I think it does, you should redo your hookups to the relays.

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-16-2015, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
I am having a real hard time trying to decipher what you are talking about.

What is the jeeps "original" battery terminal? the ones who come stock, where everything is wired. i disconnected those and the ONLY wires on the battery are "a" and "b", the ones who run directly to the switches

What are the lights on top of the switches?

a led strip im adding:

What is the original harness?

the one connected to the "original battery terminals"

How come there is no fuse in this?

there are, i just didnt put them in the drawing

It might not matter but I think it does, you should redo your hookups to the relays.

im at it right now
hope that clarifies it a bit... im sorry, english is my second language, so sometimes i have a hard time explaining myself...

post #7 of 12 Old 07-16-2015, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

i just wired the relay to the windshield aux lights per a diagram i found, leg 87 to the lights, leg 30 directly through the battery (with a fuse)....

and still, i have power on the drivers side Cig lighter. this power is coming through that relay, as, if i remove the relay, i loose power on the lighter....

the lighter is wired to the stock harness, and this harness is UNPLUGGED from the battery alltogether, the only wires on the battery posts are the ones feeding the switches....

i really dont understand whats going on...

post #8 of 12 Old 07-16-2015, 12:16 PM

The only thing I can think is that you have 2 hot wires feeding your number 1 and number 2 switch, according to your diagram.

Quote:
Quote:
post #9 of 12 Old 07-16-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

i solved the problem in a different way.

i removed the plug from the HVAC and looked for the orange/gray wire... i wired the Positive of the LED strip to that one, and the negative to the black wire on the power outlet... now, the led strip dims with the dash light dimmer switch, and is only ON with the lights and not with the key...

post #10 of 12 Old 07-16-2015, 04:42 PM

Well shit you could have asked about that mod. I have done that one before.

Quote:
Quote:
post #11 of 12 Old 07-17-2015, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Well shit you could have asked about that mod. I have done that one before.
haha well, i didnt know you had done that before... at first i wanted the lights to just turn ON with the key, but then i realized i could hook them to the dimmer....

i had found this thread:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72250

but i hadnt realized it was you... im installing rock lights as well and i want them wired to the dome light, so thanx to you i already know which wire to look for:

Quote:
Ok on 07's there is a yellow wire with white stripe on the passenger side by the rear wheel well. That is the dome light wire.

post #12 of 12 Old 07-17-2015, 05:20 PM

No worries, glad you got it figured out.

Quote:
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode