aux backup light, where to mount?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-14-2015, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

aux backup light, where to mount??

i did a search, but couldnt find what i was looking for.

so, besides the Olympic rear light bar:

where are you mounting aux backup lights? i had these on my Xterra:

and they worked great up there, i had them on a switch so besides backing up, i also used the lights for camping and when i would get to the boat ramp after dark, they were really helpful for putting the boat in the trailer and removing rods and tackle from the boat, way better than using headlamps....

so, i would like to add rear aux lights to my jeep. but i need them as high as possible so they light the boat. mounting them on the bumper would be useless for the boating purposes.... i wont have a roof rack, so thats not an option. so far, the 3 options i have found are:

1) olympic bar pictured above
2) custom bracket on top of the third brake light
3) in the middle of the spare tire

where did you mount yours??

2007 JKU, 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, 285/70 17 mud terrains....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-14-2015, 05:35 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Mounted mine here...

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showpo...4&postcount=12

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-14-2015, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
thanx, thats my third option, it looks clean and wont obstruct the view, but it puts the lights on the lowest position of the 3....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-14-2015, 06:00 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

You could place it up higher, depending on how your plate mount is setup up, I have a built in plate light that is taking up room on top so that option was out for me. If you have a different plate light like the ORO, then you probably have room to move it up.

This was my old setup, I modified a Bestop Trail Rack to hold a set of Rigid D1 floods, that worked pretty well too, the only complaint was the gate had to be completely opened to get the hardtop window open or it would smack the back of the lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-14-2015, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx, thats more or less what i had in mind, but i was thinking about mounting them to the third brake light... yours look more solid, and almost in the same place i wanted to put mine, so i think i could go that way... i have the stock tire carrier so i will have to think how to bolt something in there...

post #6 of 14 Old 07-15-2015, 12:15 AM
Rock God

I did something similar, except I mounted two Rigid SR-M2 diffused lights on top of the license place (sitting in the spare) to get them higher up.

http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/91251

I can post a pic if you want, but am too lazy to go take one tonight.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-15-2015, 02:05 AM
Rock God

I like the ridge.

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-15-2015, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx, i forgot to mention, im keeping the stock tire carrier on the tailgate for now...

Jonboy, a pic would be great whenever you have time, thank you.

post #9 of 14 Old 07-15-2015, 10:10 AM
Granite Guru

I had originally started DIY'ing a 3rd brake light relocation in the center cap of my OEM spare tire using a "beehive" lens and an LED board from Radiantz.

Midway through that project, I realized I'd really prefer to have an auxiliary backup light, and leave the OEM 3rd brake light where it is.

I'm considering getting a clear "beehive" lens:

(without the bracket, obviously...)

and putting a round white LED board behind it, in the center cap of the spare tire. It wouldn't be anything high-powered, but it'd be enough for what I would do with it...

Chase

2013 Billet Silver JKU Sport S, 6-Speed, TF Leveling Kit, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, 285/70R17 Firestone Destination M/Ts on OEM Sport wheels.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-03-2015, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

well, after looking at the scrap material i had laying around and thinking about it for a while, this is what i came up with.... its tightly bolted to the third brake light bracket, so it doesnt rattles at all.... as previously mentioned, the only drawback is that the gate needs to be opened almost completely for the window to clear the lights... other than that, i like it....

post #11 of 14 Old 08-04-2015, 06:50 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-04-2015, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx Uncle...

now, i have one question regarding the switches.... since i wanted to be able to use the lights even without the key in the ignition, i ran a wire from the battery directly to the switches.... i have both the front and rear aux lights on relays, with fuses, and the interior accent led strips have a fuse but not relay....

now, there are 3 switches to control these 3 lights, but the thing is, when they are ON, any of them, even the 2 led strips which should draw very little current, the corresponding switch gets hot.... not hot enough to burn, but considerably hotter than what you could call "warm"....

is this normal?? is this safe??

thanx!!

post #13 of 14 Old 08-04-2015, 10:38 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu2kill View Post
....is this normal?? is this safe??
If the switches do not have a light on them (an 'on' indicator) then this is not normal. The heat is coming from a loss of power through resistance. A switch should have extremely low resistance and therefore not build any heat.

Without any further information, I would say you need to upgrade to a better quality switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #14 of 14 Old 08-04-2015, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
If the switches do not have a light on them (an 'on' indicator) then this is not normal. The heat is coming from a loss of power through resistance. A switch should have extremely low resistance and therefore not build any heat.

Without any further information, I would say you need to upgrade to a better quality switch.
well, they do have a light indicator which turns ON with the switch in the ON position... i have used those same switches in other cars, always for light applications, without any problems... i cant remember if they also got hot though...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode