Ok gang, I'm here to pick the brains of you electronics gurus that I know we have here. By now most of you know I've been building a M416 based Expo Trailer
well I'm now ready to start in on the built-in electronics to be on the trailer and I would like to get some feedback and advice on how to best address this part of the build.
Here is my idea; Take a Pelican 1600 case and have it house the following components in a waterproof/dust proof enclosure:
21.43" x 16.50" x 7.87" (54.4 x 41.9 x 20 cm)
- AM/FM Radio for camp tunes
- Weather Radio for up to date alerts and news
- CB for base camp communication
- 750 watt min inverter with at least 3 outlets (400 watt pure sine will be installed in JK)
- min 4 switches for internal lighting and lid actuator
- battery charger and/or isolator controls for a dual battery arrangement
- 2 12volt outlets
Originally I was planning on using standard components and simply modify them to fit into the case and then overlay them all with a finished faceplate. However in doing some additional searching and surfing here are a few of the key devices I'm thinking of using.
Jensen Heavy Duty
Waterproof Mini AM/FM/WB Stereo with Audio Aux-in
- 75 WX ST Compact/Remote Mount CB Radio with SoundTracker® and NOAA Weather
- Switches and Battery controls from 12volt guy or SPod
Now originally I wasn't going to go with the Cobra 75, but its compact size and "component" style is more suited for this than the Compact Cobra 19 since the case only has about 7" of interior depth. This is also what lead me away from using a standard AM/FM head unit and opting for this Jensen unit.
So again, if any of you have some ideas or experience with similar units, I would love to hear about them and get some links to review them. Oh, and yes I've considered a Sat radio also, but don't really want the subscription fee.