Dash or overhead mounted CB - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-07-2015, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Dash or overhead mounted CB

I want to put a CB in my jeep but idk where to mount it, I don't know much about them either, I have a smittybilt g.e.a.r overhead console so I thought about mounting one there, but I have also seen them mounted in the dash with a single din radio, I like the idea of both ways but what are the pros and cons to either and what CB would yall recommend putting in either place? I don't want to spend a lot of money on this by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-07-2015, 02:23 PM
Granite Guru

Since you don't want to spend a lot of money, go with the overhead setup. Otherwise you'll have to buy a Single-DIN radio and lots of other stuff.

Plus, mounting it overhead allows you much more flexibility when it comes to deciding which CB you want to run -- only certain CBs will fit into a DIN slot, and only one or two of those has a front-mounted speaker...

FWIW, I've found the Uniden PRO520XL to be a great little radio. Walmart has the best prices, BTW.

I wanted to run either my Uniden PC68 Elite (w/ Weather and some less-than-legal work done to it) or my Galaxy DX-949 (slightly less legal than the PC68), but didn't have the room.

When it comes to priorities, your antenna and mount should be first. Then make sure you get quality coax cable. Even the cheapest CB will (should...) put out the same power as anything else (aside from 10-meter "export" models, which aren't legal for use on the CB bands anyway...). A good antenna system will make much more difference than a pricy radio will.

Chase

2013 Billet Silver JKU Sport S, 6-Speed, TF Leveling Kit, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, 285/70R17 Firestone Destination M/Ts on OEM Sport wheels.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-07-2015, 02:58 PM
Random Dude

If mounting a CB (or anything) overhead, just be careful about keeping it safely out of the way of your brain case.
I'm 5'10", and I can't smack my dome on this when belted in, but I can thump my gourd when jumping into the Jeep quickly.

If I was taller, or the CB any lower, I'd have a hazardous setup (for me - not worried about other people driving my Jeep ).
If I didn't have the sPOD switch panel there, I'd shove the CB forward a few inches and and it would be a non-issue.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-07-2015, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrien View Post
Since you don't want to spend a lot of money, go with the overhead setup. Otherwise you'll have to buy a Single-DIN radio and lots of other stuff.

Plus, mounting it overhead allows you much more flexibility when it comes to deciding which CB you want to run -- only certain CBs will fit into a DIN slot, and only one or two of those has a front-mounted speaker...

FWIW, I've found the Uniden PRO520XL to be a great little radio. Walmart has the best prices, BTW.

I wanted to run either my Uniden PC68 Elite (w/ Weather and some less-than-legal work done to it) or my Galaxy DX-949 (slightly less legal than the PC68), but didn't have the room.

When it comes to priorities, your antenna and mount should be first. Then make sure you get quality coax cable. Even the cheapest CB will (should...) put out the same power as anything else (aside from 10-meter "export" models, which aren't legal for use on the CB bands anyway...). A good antenna system will make much more difference than a pricy radio will.
I guess I should have mentioned that I have a DIN radio to put in if I go the dash mounted route. I don't have the dash kit or harness for it but I do have the radio, just haven't installed it yet.

as far as the antenna mount I have a river city offroad tramp stamp that I planned on mounting it to. is that good enough?

Last edited by baddkarmaracing; 07-07-2015 at 03:31 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-07-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
If mounting a CB (or anything) overhead, just be careful about keeping it safely out of the way of your brain case.
I'm 5'10", and I can't smack my dome on this when belted in, but I can thump my gourd when jumping into the Jeep quickly.

If I was taller, or the CB any lower, I'd have a hazardous setup (for me - not worried about other people driving my Jeep ).
If I didn't have the sPOD switch panel there, I'd shove the CB forward a few inches and and it would be a non-issue.
im 6'2" but I have never had an issue with hitting my head on any of the bags mounted to the overhead storage, but my cap bill will hit one of the rear bags when im getting in sometimes. CB will be mounted as far forward as I can get it.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-07-2015, 03:53 PM
JKO Addict!

discussed somewhat recently. this thread may be useful:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240666

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode