In Dash Navigation help... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-16-2010, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.
In Dash Navigation help...

Anyone have an aftermarket in dash nav (not the mygig) that will allow you to upload your breadcrumbs online via SD or USB?

Thinking of getting rid of my MyGig and going with something that will allow me to do this!

currently looking at...
PIONEER
http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_1...tp=20212&avf=N

ALPINE
http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_5...tp=20212&avf=N

KENWOOD
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DNX7...tp=20212&avf=N

THANK YOU!

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-16-2010, 04:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:. View Post
Anyone have an aftermarket in dash nav (not the mygig) that will allow you to upload your breadcrumbs online via SD or USB?

Thinking of getting rid of my MyGig and going with something that will allow me to do this!

currently looking at...
PIONEER

ALPINE

KENWOOD

THANK YOU!
Whatever you get, make sure there's blue in it. I vote for the Pioneer AVIC, I was thinking of changing mine out also. Had a Pioneer in my F150 and loved it.

JKUS Sort of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have the Kenwood DNX8120. It DOES NOT allow uploading of waypoints or tracks, that sucks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:. View Post

currently looking at...
PIONEER

ALPINE

KENWOOD

THANK YOU!
I checked out the Pioneer but didn't buy. That things bad ass. Decided to build my front 9" instead.

"Dude, did you see that Green Jeep out in the parking lot?"

"Yeah, its' mine..."
post #5 of 15 Old 04-17-2010, 01:00 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to sickchilly Send a message via Skype™ to sickchilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
I have the Kenwood DNX8120. It DOES NOT allow uploading of waypoints or tracks, that sucks!
Say what?! All the Garmin based units support this. You just connect your computer running MapSource via USB or transfer from your computer to an SD Card and put that in your GPS unit. You can manage custom mapsets, waypoints, routes and tracks this way.

For all of the management functions and access to freely available maps (topographic and trails), I'd strongly recommend a Garmin-based unit which pretty much means Kenwood. The DNX6160 or slightly older 6140 are the best, IMO. They can do dual-zone, iPod Video, and have bluetooth built-in. Pretty good prices on eBay. Some are refurbished units though.

2007 Jeep Green Rubicon 4-door with various bits 'n pieces... broken in but not even finished!
post #6 of 15 Old 04-17-2010, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickchilly View Post
Say what?! All the Garmin based units support this. You just connect your computer running MapSource via USB or transfer from your computer to an SD Card and put that in your GPS unit. You can manage custom mapsets, waypoints, routes and tracks this way.

For all of the management functions and access to freely available maps (topographic and trails), I'd strongly recommend a Garmin-based unit which pretty much means Kenwood. The DNX6160 or slightly older 6140 are the best, IMO. They can do dual-zone, iPod Video, and have bluetooth built-in. Pretty good prices on eBay. Some are refurbished units though.
thank you for this bit of info! looks like the Kenwood is the one. I want to be able to run trails and then upload them to the forums at the end of the day. You mentioned the DNX6160 in your post... how about the DNX7160 in my original post?

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

Last edited by .:eMETAL:.; 04-17-2010 at 08:58 AM.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Granite Guru

DNX7160 is essentially the same as a 6160 only it has a larger (7") screen. I prefer the 6100 series myself. They have only a slightly smaller screen (6.1") but have a real volume knob. I hate searching for volume up/down buttons. So much easier to grab a knob and twist.

Hey chromedome, if you want to learn how to manage data on your 8120, the manual is here:
http://kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles/File...Navigation.pdf

Start with page 33. The instructions are very basic, but if you've ever worked with MapSource and USB or SD Cards with other Garmin GPS units, the process is essentially the same.

2007 Jeep Green Rubicon 4-door with various bits 'n pieces... broken in but not even finished!
post #8 of 15 Old 04-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Say what?! All the Garmin based units support this.
POI's are it and I've loaded plenty. I need to upload / download .gpx / .csv files.
Can't be done. But thanks anyway.

Last edited by chromedome; 04-17-2010 at 03:47 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Rock God

Garage
Get the pioneer...

Then check out avic411.com. Since it is windows based, these guys are writing code for these units that allows you to do pretty much what you want with them.

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
post #10 of 15 Old 04-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
POI's are it and I've loaded plenty. I would like upload / download .gpx files. Can't be done.
Dude, trust me and follow these steps. It works.

1. Install Garmin MapSource. If you do not have it, Google for a way to get it for free. For example: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/0...without-media/

2. Plug a mini USB cable into the back of the DNX8120 (the "TMC Tuner" port on the back of the unit) and plug the other end into your laptop. It will be recognized as a USB device (AVN3_NA) and Windows should do the "Found New Hardware" routine, installing the necessary USB drivers, however, you MAY still need to download the Garmin USB drivers from their site's support section.

3. Once the USB connection is establised, the screen on the DNX8120 changes to a blue screen screen with "USB connection detected" in the middle and two buttons at the bottom: "Garmin Mode" and "USB Mass Storage".

The "Garmin Mode" takes you back to the GPS navigation, while the "USB Mass Storage" mounts the Garmin unit as a drive on your laptop. To transfer your data to/from the DNX8120 using MapSource, DO NOT PRESS EITHER BUTTON.

Using this method, you can transfer waypoints, routes, tracks, maps, etc. to and from the device using MapSources "Send To Device" and "Receive From Device" menu items respectively under the Transfer menu.

Hint: I'd advise running a USB extension cable to the glove box or center console if you plan to manage data often.

If you're curious about loading additional maps, etc., the DNX8120 has a 2 GB drive with about 700MB free space.

Sorry, not trying to be a dick, but I do this all the time with various Kenwood/Garmin in-dash units and know many others who do as well. I'M RIGHT!!! There, I feel better. Enjoy! There are some great free Topo and Trail maps, tracks, etc. available on the 'net for Garmin devices.

post #11 of 15 Old 04-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Rock God

Garage

I appreciate the effort. I had read about that method as well. It's just a pain in the ass to take the unit out of the dashboard to get it hooked up. I could run an extension but I use that port for the traffic receiver which further complicates the whole deal. It's a lame design from the get-go.
post #12 of 15 Old 06-16-2010, 12:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

SickChilly,

I'm a rook when it comes to navigation, but not when it comes to car stereos. Question... You mentioned Garmin-based units can also include topographical and trail maps? For some time now, I have been wanting to find out if a conventional "traffic & road" GPS (Garmin, Tom-Tom, etc.) could be loaded to include topo & trail maps, so I could have a dual-purpose functioning GPS.

Is this true? If so, how many trails/topos does it hold, how do you set that up, and can you give me any advice regarding this in general?

I'll end up buying a double-din aftermarket receiver w/ nav at somepoint, and your direction may help.

Thanks in advance.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #13 of 15 Old 06-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Granite Guru

I load waypoints using Garmin Mapsource via usb to my DNX8120.

Quote:
post #14 of 15 Old 06-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Granite Guru

I mounted my xm weather/traffic receiver up on the roll cage with a USB extension cable. I can then unplug the xm receiver and plug my computer into the cable. No effort required and the XM receiver works well mounted up there.

Quote:
I appreciate the effort. I had read about that method as well. It's just a pain in the ass to take the unit out of the dashboard to get it hooked up. I could run an extension but I use that port for the traffic receiver which further complicates the whole deal. It's a lame design from the get-go.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-17-2010, 12:42 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzcode View Post
SickChilly,

I'm a rook when it comes to navigation, but not when it comes to car stereos. Question... You mentioned Garmin-based units can also include topographical and trail maps? For some time now, I have been wanting to find out if a conventional "traffic & road" GPS (Garmin, Tom-Tom, etc.) could be loaded to include topo & trail maps, so I could have a dual-purpose functioning GPS.

Is this true? If so, how many trails/topos does it hold, how do you set that up, and can you give me any advice regarding this in general?

I'll end up buying a double-din aftermarket receiver w/ nav at somepoint, and your direction may help.

Thanks in advance.

RC
Check my response and thoughts over here:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showpo...49&postcount=9

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode