CB electrical resistance - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-02-2015, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

CB electrical resistance

Hello everyone,
I am trying to tune my CB radio set up. SWR is dreadfully high - around 3:1, so I am trying to troubleshoot. I got the antenna base grounded to the body (checked). Then I measured the resistance between the antenna base and the active (upper) part of the antenna, thinking it should be completely isolated. To my surprise, the resistance was very much measurable - around 4.7 kOhm. I started digging through the connection points in my setup and found that resistance, when measured between the central pin and the outer casing of the antenna input of the CB radio itself, was that same 4.7 kOhm. Has anyone ever tried to measure that resistance value? Am I dealing with a faulty CB unit or is this a proper resistance reading?
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-07-2015, 09:34 AM
Granite Guru

I've never actually measured the resistance between hot and ground on an antenna/base/radio. I always just use a continuity tester.

Have you tested continuity/resistance of the ground and hot from one end of your coax to the other?

What coax, mount, stud, and antenna are you using?

Chase

2013 Billet Silver JKU Sport S, 6-Speed, TF Leveling Kit, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, 285/70R17 Firestone Destination M/Ts on OEM Sport wheels.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-07-2015, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

The coax, mount, and the antenna are all connected properly - at least all the connections (including the ground) tested ok. The radio's antenna connection is the only one that I found strange.
The antenna is Firestik 2, 5 ft, the mount I do not recall... The coax is the recommended kind, forgot the name...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-10-2015, 03:11 PM
Rock God

Garage
Post Antenna length

To adjust the SWR Standing Wave Ratio lengthen or shorten your antenna. If you spend a lot of time on a particular channel you can adjust it for your best reading. Otherwise try adjusting channel 20 for your lowest reading. It is not unheard of to have to cut a little off of an antenna to get it to adjust.

Some antenna's have a threaded portion on the top. Others you loosen a set screw and move the antenna up or down. If your near Southern California I have both SWR meters and an antenna analyzer and would be happy to help you get it adjusted in.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-10-2015, 04:12 PM
Granite Guru

What are your SWR readings on channels 1 and 40? They are probably both over 3:1, but knowing which is higher will tell you which way to go.

I have always remembered it this way:

Channel 1 tells you which way your antenna needs to go. I.e., if your SWR on channel 1 is higher than on 40, the antenna needs to "go up," or, rather, be longer. If 1 is lower than 40, the antenna needs to "go down," or, rather, be shorter.

Chase

2013 Billet Silver JKU Sport S, 6-Speed, TF Leveling Kit, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, 285/70R17 Firestone Destination M/Ts on OEM Sport wheels.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-11-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

I removed the spring below the antenna to see the effect on SWR. It moved nicely from more than 3:1 to ~2.5:1. So I figured the antenna is too long. So I started to cut the wire windings on the very top, one by one and checking the reading after each (the screw was already removed). After disconnecting 3 or 4 coils SWR dropped to ~1.8:1, roughly the same on all channels. This is acceptable, right?
post #7 of 9 Old 07-12-2015, 06:10 PM
Rock God

Garage
Arrow This is acceptable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBel View Post
I removed the spring below the antenna to see the effect on SWR. It moved nicely from more than 3:1 to ~2.5:1. So I figured the antenna is too long. So I started to cut the wire windings on the very top, one by one and checking the reading after each (the screw was already removed). After disconnecting 3 or 4 coils SWR dropped to ~1.8:1, roughly the same on all channels. This is acceptable, right?
Your looking to get as close to 1:1 as possible. 1.8:1 is workable but you may try to get a tad lower too. I try to be 1.5:1 or less on the CB. But then I only us it 4bying. Most of the time I'm on the HAM radio.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-13-2015, 02:24 PM
Granite Guru

Now that you're down to 1.8:1, I'd start taking it off 1/8" at a time until I got to 1.5:1 or slightly under.

An SWR of 1.8:1 isn't terrible and surely won't hurt your radio.

But at 1.8:1, you're losing some 8% of your power.

At 1.5:1, you're only losing 4%.

SWR Power Loss Table

Chase

post #9 of 9 Old 07-13-2015, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

I discovered something interesting. The biggest factor influencing SWR is not the grounding or the antenna height or even its placement. When I started repositioning the excess length coax cable (about two feet of it tucked under the seat), SWR started jumping wildly - all the way out to 3.5 (and from the lowest value of around 1.5) - depending on how I shape the cable. Which makes sense because what we're trying to do here is adjust the impedance of the system to minimize mismatch, and the shape of the cable has a major impact on it. Just something to keep in mind when doing the tuning...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode