Replacing RockRidge rear lights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-02-2015, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Replacing RockRidge rear lights

after you cut out the rear corners on your jeep.... what is the next thing I should do if I want to get rid of the RockRidge lights? I personally dont like how hot the resistors get on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-02-2015, 12:13 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

You could re-attach the stock lights if you do it right, but it would be a pain in the ass. I you could just build a nice aluminum heat sink with some transfer paste to dissipate that heat instead of ditching them. The other option is to buy AEV builder corners and bolt the factory tails to them and then you'd have a little better corner protection. Beyond that, there aren't many options after cutting out the tub back there. I made my own version of those lights, but I like them, so I won't be changing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-02-2015, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I was an early adopter of them when they used powder coated steel ( if you wanna call it powder coating ) and before I read all the 'they stole the idea from another guy , et.al...) and they used my rig as an ad on another forum ....
anyway, I was darn glad I ran some liner behind those plates after the first year and their crummy powder coat started bubbling up around the bolts ....a bit of griping and they sent me the newer aluminum plates that I am going to be putting on at same time as my MC ExoSkins soon....
I resigned to 'this is permanent ' after smashing three stock boxes and then the destructive nature of the install for the rockridges tails...I figured you could always corner guard over them or something ...I don't get the heat fear as its nominal ....someone now makes a box of steel that holds a stock analog bulb inside to stop the fast low current flash but once you hack up those stock mounts you are kinda stuck unless you get creative with the sheet metal welds ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-19-2015, 07:02 AM
Wheeler

Does anybody know

If the Saavy Offroad TJ lights will "plug in" to the stock JK taillight plug / harness?

I also have the rockrodge lights. I like them but hate how hot the resisitors get also. I currently have them inside some non metallic tubing to see if this will keep them from touching other wires, etc.

2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2 Door
Treks Rear Shock Relocators
MOPAR Extended Rubicon Rock Rails
Expedition One Front Skid
Kilby Muffler Skid
Rockhard 4x4 Belly Skid & Evap Skid
Olympic Receiver Hitch Front Bumper
Tuffy Stereo Lock
Cobra 75 CB
Cooltech CB Antenna & Mount
Kilby Switch Panel
1500 Watt Power Inverter
Glow Lights Footwell Lights
OK Offroad Fuse Box
Front & Rear ARB Lockers
5.13 Gears
post #5 of 6 Old 10-19-2015, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

hm...you guys insinuate really hot heat; I have never felt how hot they get but just used self tapping screws to get them mounted on the side of the inner light well sheetmetal and never thought a 2nd time about them. Resistors are by design gonna generate heat. That's kinda the physical law of resistance..that energy exchange has to be sent someplace!
I digress : I , too, butchered the OEM taillight option - when installing one of the original sets of RockRidge replacement taillight armor/LED setups - too-much to restore back ( not that I would want to. I hate the OEM light box [email protected]; in some fairness to RockRidge, they do prevent the taillights from sticking out far enough to get ripped off the Jeep ) .So I too have been looking at all of the aluminum options for full corner replacements;
I was gonna just slap some MC exo-skins on the quarter-panels but once I bought them and they arrived , I saw the massive rivnuts ( 3/8 - 16 are huge - I have a good tool for installing) I realized that if I am going to all that trouble and drilling huge holes for massive rivnut fasteners , I my as well get full corners with the tail-lights frenched in ....it is coming down to GenRight ( just found out they have only steel, so not an option for me and my weight conscious rig ) or TNT...but just saw these from Warrior in aluminum ( they are not expensive but I always thin kof Warrior as low-end parts ) and am thinking about getting them....
http://tinyurl.com/q8a3uws

I am left to wonder why GenRight doesn't make their awesome, full corners for JK 4 doors in aluminum?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 10-19-2015 at 07:57 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-22-2015, 07:30 PM
Granite Guru

You could remove the LED bulbs & resistors and replace them with standard incandescent trailer bulbs like:

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Ligh...cs/ST45RB.html

Will not be as bright but will solve your heat problem without spending another wad of cash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode