What is this green wire? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-16-2010, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

What is this green wire?

I just bought a jeep used and Im taking the doors off for the first time. Took the front electrical connectors off no problem, but the two back doors have a green wire biting onto the purple one on both sides. I can disconnect the grey connectors, but to remove the doors the green wire has to be unclamped.
Do I disconnect this? How? What is it? I havent heard anybody discuss this.

The jeep has a remote start/alarm on it, but that wouldnt be wired to the back for connectors would it?

Ill take a pic with my phone soon.

Thanks for any help.

The Dude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-16-2010, 12:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

gotta be something scabbed on for the alarm
you could always relocate it to the wire on the other side (jeep side) of the connector

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-16-2010, 05:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

It is most likely for the door alarm trigger, the way the jk is to properly protect each door you have to get the signal from each door. What has probably happened is the shop installer did not think of door removal and tapped the wire on the wrong side of the plug. Is it tapped with a t tap or scotch lock? Either way remove it and tap the same wire on the other side of the disconnect plug and make sure you wrap some electrical tape over where it used to be. If you can't figure it out pm me and I'll check which wire it is on mine with a meter and tell you what to do but this should fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-16-2010, 05:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Oh also since you have the alarm make sure the hood is protected and sets the alarm off as well, if not it's
a easy fix.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Wheeler

Easy fix?

What is your easy fix method?

6" FTLA w/HD TB & SS,
JKS spg rets., rr spg mnts.
37" BFG KM2, 17x9 MT clssc II, Blstn 5100,
Finishline West RB, LoD FB, SB XRC10
PP mod'fd boat sldrs, ARB rr DC's, TERA 44 frt xl hsg,
Sup'r CrMo xls, 5.13 R&P, Reel 1310 DS,
Kilby Evap, Bnchmrk KISS, B&M Trans culr,
sPOD; Aeroforce, FlashPac, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow relo,
Cobra 75, 4' Firestik, Woods Hood & TG holds
post #6 of 16 Old 05-09-2010, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

post #7 of 16 Old 05-09-2010, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Just took this with my phone.....that green wire is biting onto the purple one.....can I take it off? will it make the alarm go off? I just wanna roll out with no doors! Thank you
post #8 of 16 Old 05-10-2010, 03:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

its an aftermarket alarm trigger wire
like was said before, just move it to the body side of the plug so it won't interfere with taking the doors off

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-10-2010, 05:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Green and blue are universal alarm trigger wires, green is negative trigger and blue is positive trigger. As I stated in the pm you sent me through all my research in the jk you have to tap each door individually to have each door fully protected instead of tapping one wire and relying on voltage sensing to cover it. I wanted to put the info here as well incase someone else needs it.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #10 of 16 Old 05-10-2010, 06:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Ok I just rolled my big ass out ther with the fluke meter in hand, here's what you need to do.

Remove the spade male from the purple "T" tap and the remove the t tap. Get 3m 33+ electrical tape (I loath cheap electrical tape) and wrap where the wire insulation is pierced from the t tap. Trick with electrical tape is to pull it real tight when wrapping it and go around it a few times. The stock wire is thin and the t taps are known to break a few wire strands so the electrical tape will secure it a little better with a few extra wraps.

Next take a pair of pliers (channellocks opened to the 2nd or third notch depending on the size works best) and clamp the t tap on the other side of the connector so that now when you unit the harness you will no longer have to mess with the other wire in the future.

Next and here is the sometimes tricky part, plug the male spade connector back into the t tap. The reason that I say it is sometimes tricky is that the spade sometimes does not slide inbetween the female part of the t tap and is off to the side, works for a while but in the future it may not work. When you remove the t tap this will all make sense but you should feel it sort of click into place.

I would wrap a zip tie or electrical tap around the t tap and the green wire to keep it up out of the way and to also keep it from rattling aganst the plastic.

I verified this to work on both sides of the plug so there will not be any issues. The alarm installer is always in a hurry and does not think of needing to tap the other side of the plug to be able to remove the doors and I would not have thought of it until I owned a jeep. So hopefully I didn't fark someone up with this as well bit I don't think the doorpins were this way back when I did them I think they were old school pins where the guys would have to clamp the door pins back to keep the dome light off.

Anyway if there is anything else let me know. And don't let this intimidate you or anyone else it really is a easy fix and you will never have to mess with it again.

Also if anyone is looking into having a aftermarket alarm installed this is a good point to bring up!

Also does your alarm have a hood pin switch? In other words does the alarm go off if the hood is opened? If not get the factory pin switch (it is waay nicer and you won't have to keep it greased) and tie it into the green wire anywhere inside that is easiest. There is no point in having an alarm on the jeep when they have such easy access to the battery to disable the alarm.

Also that green wire is the exact same one that you or anyone else will need to tap into for adding a proximity sensor.

Maybe I need to get a alarm and some doorlock actuators and do a full write up on it with photos and wire tap in points and alarm mods ect ect. If I can talk my buddy into this I may one day do it, he has manual everything on his and since I'm unemployed I don't have the funds to do it for the fun of a write up. If anyone locally wants to but all the stuff and buys lunch and iced tea I will install it as long as you take pics. It will take a few hours and everything will be soldered, braided, heatshrinked and taped up. I am some what OCD and a perfectionist and all I mostly did was high end vehicles like Porsche, vettes, Ferrari, ect and luxury. So what ever I do will be very clean and very hidden if anyone wants to do this for a day it could be fun. I say a day as I'm older and less flexible and no longer weigh 170 pounds haha!

Anyway sorry for the ramble I haven't woke up yet, but definately pull the wire and move the damn thing up so you don't have to dick with it in the future, also check and verify that the rear gate is protected as well as some install shops charge extra for the gate considering it a trunk. And all you need to do is the same as the doors, use a t tap and extend the green wire to the rear.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #11 of 16 Old 05-10-2010, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

thanks guys....i'm about to go do this. I really appreciate the time in your answers! I'll post an update soon.

the dude
post #12 of 16 Old 05-24-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

post #13 of 16 Old 05-24-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

yep....i just yanked the green wire off and that was it.
thanks for your help!!
post #14 of 16 Old 05-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

nice rig!

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #15 of 16 Old 05-25-2010, 12:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice looking Rig... love your rims... what kind are they... sorry about the hijack...

Steve

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-25-2010, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks those are Dick Cepek wheels. I want some safari straps soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode