Tapping onto Cab light..bad Idea? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-12-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
ACE
Granite Guru

Tapping onto Cab light..bad Idea?

I was thinking of tapping into the cab light so when the door opens or I flip that knob on the light stick? both my cab lights and whatever I tap onto them like some LED's, light up too

...Something like this, but about 3 LED strips from AutoZone ...Driver side under the Steering Wheel, above the pedals, middle like shown and Passenger Side under the globe box

U.S. Air Force
"Sitting on ours, Saving yours."

2009 Unlimited X Stone White
2.5" TF Lift
...Mods As money flows...

1.5" Wheel Spacers
35" BFG MK2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ACE; 04-12-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE View Post
I was thinking of tapping into the cab light so when the door opens or I flip that knob on the light stick? both my cab lights and whatever I tap onto them like some LED's, light up too

...Something like this, but about 3 LED strips from AutoZone ...Driver side under the Steering Wheel, above the pedals, middle like shown and Passenger Side under the globe box

It can be done. I did two seperate tap splice connections. For above the rocker panel I used the HVAC hot wire for when you turn on your lights (orange w/grey stripe) then used the left side aux plug's (black wire) for ground. Very easy, takes longer to pull the dash panel off then to tap splice. Here is mine with a Autozone LED strip, I cut mine down to 3LED's whih is plenty. If you use the wires I mentioned you can dim the LED's just like the rest of the inside dash lights.

I did the footwells on the passenger side. Tap into the yellow wire with a white stripe, and make a ground wire and just secure it to where all the others are. Then retap into the hot wire for you light under there to run to the drivers side, just make another ground wire and secure it. That's it. Now when the dome light coemes on the footwells will light up. Here are mine.

post #3 of 11 Old 04-12-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
ACE
Granite Guru

is that yellow wire with the white stripe on the same location as the other cables? do you have a pic of where those cables are behind the dash?....aaand one last question I don't know the name of the tool but it looks like a reverse allenqrench screwdriver...what size do I need for the dash screws? i got 2 that will not comeout with pliers and I dont want to round them off

U.S. Air Force

2.5" TF Lift

1.5" Wheel Spacers
35" BFG MK2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-12-2010, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
ACE
Granite Guru

And is your Red light always on? what if I add a switch to turn it on and off (switch into the hot wire)but keeping the dimming capabilities..... so I can have it off if I want to black out my Jeep at night

U.S. Air Force

2.5" TF Lift

1.5" Wheel Spacers
35" BFG MK2

post #5 of 11 Old 04-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
is that yellow wire with the white stripe on the same location as the other cables? do you have a pic of where those cables are behind the dash?....aaand one last question I don't know the name of the tool but it looks like a reverse allenqrench screwdriver...what size do I need for the dash screws? i got 2 that will not comeout with pliers and I dont want to round them off
Quote:
And is your Red light always on? what if I add a switch to turn it on and off (switch into the hot wire)but keeping the dimming capabilities..... so I can have it off if I want to black out my Jeep at night

The yellow wire with the white stripe is located under the glove box (passenger side) up against the footwell. It is ina large bundle wiring harness. I did not take any pictures of the wires behind the dash; however they are right behind the HVAC controls when you pull the dash overlay towards you. I just used a socket wrench and a 8mm or 7mm, can't remember exactly, socket to remove the bolts. Also when you remove the bolts pull gently on the center stack and it will release the plastic clips.
I wired in my LED strip into the Orange w/grey stripe wire. This wire provides the power for all the lights on the stack to illuminate when the parking or headlights are turned on. The LED strip only come son then. I used Red so it would not affect my nightvision at all, plus you can dim it down if you want. You can run a switch if you want, in that case you would need to run a wire to a 12volt and a ground, then run wires to a switch. If you do Red I just would not worry about the switch though.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Rock God

Garage

do you need to modify these led strips or just cut the wires and wire them in? i want to put white led strips under the jeep on my driver and passenger side to illuminate the ground when you open the door. so all i need to do is ground one wire and splice the other wire into the yellow and white wire and they will turn on when my dome light comes on?

Steel Blue 07 2dr
"Its the A.M bitches, its time for donuts!"
Jersey
Crew
post #7 of 11 Old 04-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcc687 View Post
do you need to modify these led strips or just cut the wires and wire them in? i want to put white led strips under the jeep on my driver and passenger side to illuminate the ground when you open the door. so all i need to do is ground one wire and splice the other wire into the yellow and white wire and they will turn on when my dome light comes on?

No modification to the strips is necessary. The one I bought from Autozone was a (6) LED strip, but it was made so you can cut it down to (3) LED's if you prefer. That is what I did.
Just splice on a ground wire to the LED strip and secure down below the footwell where the other grounds are. Use either a red or blue tap splice to connect the yellow w/white stripe wire. That will get you LED running under the passenger side. For the drivers side you need a long piece of wire and another tap splice. Tap into the + wire that you used origanlly to tap into the dome light wire. Run that below the dash or behind whatever you prefer to the drivers side. Splice that wire with the + for the LED strip and run another ground to the footwell just like the other side. That is it. Very easy may take 20mins or so and will they will come on whenever the Dome light comes on.

Here is a drawing I made up, not the greatest but it should help you for the footwell lighting.

Last edited by jason0341; 04-14-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Add Picture
post #8 of 11 Old 04-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Rock God

Garage

thanks for the info and drawing. might do this today since its so nice out

Steel Blue 07 2dr
"Its the A.M bitches, its time for donuts!"
Jersey
Crew
post #9 of 11 Old 04-15-2010, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
ACE
Granite Guru

bought eh yesterday, This si deff. gonna help, Thanks!!!

U.S. Air Force

2.5" TF Lift

1.5" Wheel Spacers
35" BFG MK2

post #10 of 11 Old 04-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Rock God

That looks nice! I would imagine you could add things as long as you stayed under the draw supported by the fuse, correct?

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Granite Guru

Yeah you could wire single LED's in all over the place. They do not draw much current at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode