Heated Mirror Recall..... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-11-2015, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
White13JKUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Danville, CA
Posts: 2,992
Feedback: 0 reviews
Heated Mirror Recall.....

Not that I have ever used them but I have them and am wondering about the details of this recall (and TSB?). Did not see anything on this in the TSB section.

What is the remediation procedure? Are the dealers replacing the mirrors or drilling little drain holes in them or something?

thanks
White13JKUR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 06-11-2015, 12:45 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Severance ,Co.
Age: 71
Posts: 403
Feedback: 0 reviews

I had it done Monday on my Wife's 2012. The replace the connectors and put water shields on them. We never had a problem but I needed to have the power steering and trans cooler line recall done so they did both. I had my own fix on that since the parts were over a year out. At least it cleared all the recalls. Everyone I know with a 2012 or newer vehicle has endured numerous recalls! The complication of these vehicles continues....

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
scubatech is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 06-12-2015, 09:07 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 27
Feedback: 0 reviews

What years are affected?


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
OHRNG_BEAST15 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 Old 06-12-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
White13JKUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Danville, CA
Posts: 2,992
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubatech View Post
I had it done Monday on my Wife's 2012. The replace the connectors and put water shields on them. We never had a problem but I needed to have the power steering and trans cooler line recall done so they did both. I had my own fix on that since the parts were over a year out. At least it cleared all the recalls. Everyone I know with a 2012 or newer vehicle has endured numerous recalls! The complication of these vehicles continues....


The mirror connector inside the door panel or the one at the kick panel?

Having been a dealership mechanic for years, I'd rather skip them and avoid them introducing even more problems into my jeep.

Sounds like one could potentially cure this with a tube of dielectric grease just as easily and with less effort than required to even communicate with the dealer in the first place..?? This is what I am trying to figure out. I may even just have some pitched into the far corners of my old toolbox from some warranty job I did back in the glorious 1980's.
White13JKUR is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 06-13-2015, 07:00 AM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Severance ,Co.
Age: 71
Posts: 403
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
The mirror connector inside the door panel or the one at the kick panel?

Having been a dealership mechanic for years, I'd rather skip them and avoid them introducing even more problems into my jeep.

Sounds like one could potentially cure this with a tube of dielectric grease just as easily and with less effort than required to even communicate with the dealer in the first place..?? This is what I am trying to figure out. I may even just have some pitched into the far corners of my old toolbox from some warranty job I did back in the glorious 1980's.
They remove the door panel. I'm sure you could figure it out. They had a recall kit for the Tech to install but I didn't see it.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
scubatech is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 06-14-2015, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!
 
White13JKUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Danville, CA
Posts: 2,992
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubatech View Post
They remove the door panel. I'm sure you could figure it out. They had a recall kit for the Tech to install but I didn't see it.
Thanks for that.

From what you are saying, I can imagine the kit being a boot, zip tie and maybe grease. The pins at the ends of each wire can be released from the connector to allow the connector to be completely removed and a boot to be slide on over the wires and then back down over the connector once the pins are all reinstalled.

I can probably DIY this and avoid the dealer all together.
White13JKUR is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 06-14-2015, 07:57 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Severance ,Co.
Age: 71
Posts: 403
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
Thanks for that.

From what you are saying, I can imagine the kit being a boot, zip tie and maybe grease. The pins at the ends of each wire can be released from the connector to allow the connector to be completely removed and a boot to be slide on over the wires and then back down over the connector once the pins are all reinstalled.

I can probably DIY this and avoid the dealer all together.
That would likely take care of the problem. I never had an issue with the mirror as it's pretty dry here usually. I guess there were couple that had a melted harness.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
scubatech is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome