Camera/12V Switch Wiring question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-10-2010, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Camera/12V Switch Wiring question

Well I am stumped! I have the MyGig system with the rear camera. I am attempting to install a switch and front camera where I can have the switch on one way and the rear is on (such as when in reverse) but for wheeling I would like to be able to turn on the front camera to see over the next obstacle.

With the MyGig (allgig system from NavTV) you can double click the power button and the rear camera will stay on while driving, a very cool feature. So while I am wheeling I can turn on the camera and switch between the front and rear cameras with a flick of a on/on switch. Here lies the problem. I can't figure out the schematic of my switch.

The switch I have is an on/on switch with 6 poles and are labeled in rows 1, 2, and 3. it's a 6A 125 VAC, 3A 250 VAC switch.

Someone, please help!

2008 Silver 4dr Rubi - 4.5" Rubicon Express Longarm, 37x13.5x17 Toyo M/T's, Dick Cepek DC-1(blk) 17x9, Prorock 44, ARB frt locker, RCV's (frt), Superior Chromoly Axle shafts (rear), Prosteer ball joints, 5.38 Yukon gears, RR Hydro-Assist, etc, etc, etc......
Wheeling Trips:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-11-2010, 06:29 AM
dsy
Granite Guru

I'm running the set up with front and rear cameras like your talking about using the video switcher from Nav-Tv. What type of switcher are you trying to run? With the Nav-tv switcher one wire comes out of the Allgig usb module which activates a relay to feed power to the rear camera insted of from the backup light wire. Both the rear and front cameras feed into the switcher and the other power out wire from the allgig module applies 12v to the switcher unit. No volts from the allgig and rear camera is displayed. 12v from the allgig to the switcher and front camera is displayed. Both trigger wires from the Allgig are low amperage so you need to use them to activate relays for both cameras. I have my front camera mounted to a magnetic base so I can pretty much aim it where ever I need.

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dsy; 04-11-2010 at 06:31 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-11-2010, 09:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have the lockpick v3 from coastaltech and all I do double click the Uconnect button to turn rear camera on going down the road. To turn on the front camera you must double click the power button. Also the rear camera comes on in reverse. The front comes on under 8 mph in forward gears.

2014 Rubicon on the build!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-11-2010, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
I'm running the set up with front and rear cameras like your talking about using the video switcher from Nav-Tv. What type of switcher are you trying to run? With the Nav-tv switcher one wire comes out of the Allgig usb module which activates a relay to feed power to the rear camera insted of from the backup light wire. Both the rear and front cameras feed into the switcher and the other power out wire from the allgig module applies 12v to the switcher unit. No volts from the allgig and rear camera is displayed. 12v from the allgig to the switcher and front camera is displayed. Both trigger wires from the Allgig are low amperage so you need to use them to activate relays for both cameras. I have my front camera mounted to a magnetic base so I can pretty much aim it where ever I need.
I am using a simple double pole double throw swith (on/on). I am not familiar wpth the NavTV switcher. Can you send me a link? Should I be running relays?

2008 Silver 4dr Rubi - 4.5" Rubicon Express Longarm, 37x13.5x17 Toyo M/T's, Dick Cepek DC-1(blk) 17x9, Prorock 44, ARB frt locker, RCV's (frt), Superior Chromoly Axle shafts (rear), Prosteer ball joints, 5.38 Yukon gears, RR Hydro-Assist, etc, etc, etc......
Wheeling Trips:
post #5 of 13 Old 04-11-2010, 12:04 PM
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtale View Post
I am using a simple double pole double throw swith (on/on). I am not familiar wpth the NavTV switcher. Can you send me a link? Should I be running relays?
I dont see the switcher listed alone on the Nav-tv site. You may want to give them a call. That is not the only way to go. Here is a site that carrys many different setups. http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/video-switchers.aspx

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
post #6 of 13 Old 04-11-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODICON View Post
I have the lockpick v3 from coastaltech and all I do double click the Uconnect button to turn rear camera on going down the road. To turn on the front camera you must double click the power button. Also the rear camera comes on in reverse. The front comes on under 8 mph in forward gears.
So do you have a spliter on your rear cam output for both rear and front cam? Not sure I understand.

Wheeling Trips:
post #7 of 13 Old 04-11-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
I dont see the switcher listed alone on the Nav-tv site. You may want to give them a call. That is not the only way to go. Here is a site that carrys many different setups. http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/video-switchers.aspx
It's got to be easier than having a switcher. I put a spliter on my rear cam output for each camera. When the switch is in one position it will show the rear cam and in the other position it will show front cam. BUT, I can't figure out how to wire the switch.

Wheeling Trips:
post #8 of 13 Old 04-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to sickchilly Send a message via Skype™ to sickchilly

Alright, here's the deal. There are two things you need to worry about to make the cameras work: power and the video signal.

You can use a DPDT relay to switch the video, but in order to help you out with the whole setup, I need to know how the cameras are powered and when.

Are you just leaving the cameras powered full time, like off a switched ignition source? Or is the rear currently powered by the MyGig/AllGig? Have you wired the front up to power yet or is it getting a split off the MyGig/AllGig?

Also, how do you want this to work. I know you want to be able to switch on the front camera at will, but if you then shift into reverse, do you want it to revert to the rear camera?

2007 Jeep Green Rubicon 4-door with various bits 'n pieces... broken in but not even finished!
post #9 of 13 Old 04-12-2010, 02:51 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtale View Post
It's got to be easier than having a switcher. I put a spliter on my rear cam output for each camera. When the switch is in one position it will show the rear cam and in the other position it will show front cam. BUT, I can't figure out how to wire the switch.
I have the lock pick with the video harness and the way they do it is switch the power to the camera's and the video feed from the camera's all you need is a simple 3 dollar Y 2 male to 1 female rca style.

You dont need fancy video spliters all you have to do is switch the power to the camera's and splice the video feeds the only image you will see on the screen is the camera that is powered up!

With the lock pick you can have the front camera come on under 8mph or switch it on or off at anytime same goes for the rear it will come on when you put it in reverse or switch it on or off using a button on the radio.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-12-2010, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjammin View Post
I have the lock pick with the video harness and the way they do it is switch the power to the camera's and the video feed from the camera's all you need is a simple 3 dollar Y 2 male to 1 female rca style.

You dont need fancy video spliters all you have to do is switch the power to the camera's and splice the video feeds the only image you will see on the screen is the camera that is powered up!

With the lock pick you can have the front camera come on under 8mph or switch it on or off at anytime same goes for the rear it will come on when you put it in reverse or switch it on or off using a button on the radio.
So if I understand you correctly I just y the cam input, which I did and supply power to each cam. Double click the on/off button and the rear will come on. Double click again and the front will come on. When you put the jeep in reverse how does it know to turn the rear cam on?

Wheeling Trips:
post #11 of 13 Old 04-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Granite Guru

Well if all you want to do is switch power to each of the cameras, then the switch you have should be fine. The middle two pins will be your power in. The each set of outer pins will go to each camera. Just keep all the positive wires on one side, all negatives on the other.

That's not going to get your reverse gear to automatically switch on the rear camera though. You'll have to manually flip the switch if you left the front on.

2007 Jeep Green Rubicon 4-door with various bits 'n pieces... broken in but not even finished!
post #12 of 13 Old 04-13-2010, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickchilly View Post
Well if all you want to do is switch power to each of the cameras, then the switch you have should be fine. The middle two pins will be your power in. The each set of outer pins will go to each camera. Just keep all the positive wires on one side, all negatives on the other.

That's not going to get your reverse gear to automatically switch on the rear camera though. You'll have to manually flip the switch if you left the front on.
For the camera's, I don't ground them? I run the ground wire to the switch?

Wheeling Trips:
post #13 of 13 Old 04-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Granite Guru

Both camera grounds go to a chassis ground. No need to switch grounds.

So technically, you can use your switch, but it's overkill. You don't need a DPDT switch just to switch power to each camera. You can get away with a SPDT switch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode