LED Rock Lights??? LEDs + Trick Installs? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 Old 04-09-2010, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

LED Rock Lights??? LEDs + Trick Installs?

Guys, I'm looking for LED Rock Lights to install on my rig, and run off of my sPOD.

I've done searches on the board, but haven't come up with much. What has everyone had luck with or like, and where have you installed them with good luck?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts here...

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 04-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I see you posted in the Shaffer thread... here is another thread on the Tantrum kit, which is what I plan on getting.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24504

And some more:
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817058
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...hlight=tantrum

tehiv
'14 Copperhead JKUR
'14 White WK2 Overland

formerly: 98 TJ | 97 XJ | 05 TJ | 01 WJ | 07 JKU

Last edited by tehiv; 04-09-2010 at 11:44 PM.
post #3 of 53 Old 04-10-2010, 02:05 AM
Rock God

I've got the Tantrums, I think they work great.

Sorry about the bad pic is was a camera/phone

Kevin M.
2008 JK Sahara Unlimited, 3.8L, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with (5) 35/70R17s' BFG KM2s' on Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys 7069 Series, Red Rock, Crystal Pearl, Galaxy CB Radio, Hella FF lights, Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers, Xenon Flat Fenders, 12K Mile Marker winch, front and rear Rugged Ridge diff guards, Mopar slush mats, and Vision X led rock lights, IPF 920H4 JK Headlights, Superchips flashpac, River Raider rock sliders, front/rear Coast 1310 driveshafts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 Old 04-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Motorsports2

The VisionX Tantrum kits are awesome! I've sold hundreds of them over on Pirate, see thread http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817058

post #5 of 53 Old 04-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Granite Guru

Wow! That was fast, Thanks for the White Tantrum kit order. Shipping charges were refunded, all orders over $100 get free shipping!

post #6 of 53 Old 04-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Garage

I have a set sitting in the box in my garage waiting to be installed...

I have a question for VisionX... is there a way I can bypass all the disco features these things have.. I just want to wire them strictly on/off to my sPod. I wanted to ask before I start cutting the cords..lol

Basically doing away with the blue master control box..

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #7 of 53 Old 04-20-2010, 01:41 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsports2 View Post
Wow! That was fast, Thanks for the White Tantrum kit order. Shipping charges were refunded, all orders over $100 get free shipping!
Are they here yet JK cant wait to install them

08 Detonator Yellow Rubicon-RE Arms-37" Mt/R's with Kevlar-Riddler Diff Cover-LoD stubby with Stinger-LoD stubby tire carrier-Warn M8000 Winch-Rigid D2's-20" Rigid Light Bar-SPOD-PS Rocker Knockers-PS Body Armor-5.13s-hydro assist-RCV shafts-IPF-Corbeau LG1 seats-12" King coilovers-AEV Hood-AEV Snorkel-5.7L VVT Hemi-AEV hemi Install Kit-4.5" AEV Springs-ProRock 44-AlloyUSA Rear shafts-Spyntech Hubs-Raceline Monters-
post #8 of 53 Old 04-20-2010, 07:17 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
I have a question for VisionX... is there a way I can bypass all the disco features these things have.. I just want to wire them strictly on/off to my sPod. I wanted to ask before I start cutting the cords..lol

Basically doing away with the blue master control box.
And how tough is the direct wiring to the battery to rid the cig plug?

RUBI / 37" Grappler's / 3.5 RK X / 5.38's
RockKrawler : PoisonSpyder : RCV :LOD : Iggee : sPOD : Nitto : WARN : Yukon : Rock Hard : Tatton : PolyPerformance
REBEL OFFROAD
post #9 of 53 Old 04-20-2010, 07:19 AM
JKO Addict!

here is mine. i have extremely little shadow under my jeep. i have 10 1x1" SMD led pods under mine

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #10 of 53 Old 04-20-2010, 07:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I still have a set of 4 now (originally 6) blue single diode LEDs that I had mounted on my TJ. I picked them up from Bright Eyes back in '06 @ EJS. When I get home, I'll pull one out and snap a pic of it for ya. They were bright as hell too even for being blue. I haven't decided if they are going on the JK yet or not.

/

post #11 of 53 Old 04-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
I have a set sitting in the box in my garage waiting to be installed...

Basically doing away with the blue master control box..
Yes, you can do away with the controller.
Cut off the plug ends of all the LED pods, and connect them all together, solder, etc.. Then wire them up just like any electrical accessory to a switch and power/ground. The total of 8 lights draws about 3-watts, so it should be pretty simple to do.
Thanks

post #12 of 53 Old 05-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Yes, you can do away with the controller.
Cut off the plug ends of all the LED pods, and connect them all together, solder, etc.. Then wire them up just like any electrical accessory to a switch and power/ground. The total of 8 lights draws about 3-watts, so it should be pretty simple to do.
Thanks
Anyone have a electro schematic on how to wire this to a switch? (fuse rating/ relays etc.)

RockKrawler : PoisonSpyder : RCV :LOD : Iggee : sPOD : Nitto : WARN : Yukon : Rock Hard : Tatton : PolyPerformance
REBEL OFFROAD
post #13 of 53 Old 05-18-2010, 07:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

found these the other day...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #14 of 53 Old 05-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Rock God

Garage

im going to be installing the tantrum lights from vision x and wiring it up to my 12voltguy panel, you should be abel to wire it to the spod no problem

they will be linked to my LED light writeup in my signature

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
and

post #15 of 53 Old 07-30-2010, 12:42 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

tantrums rock!

I spent hours and hours figuring the best spot that was both out of the way of the rocks and produced the best light for driver and spotter. The toughest ones were the front with the shorty bumper. I'm happy with the result. Wired them directly to the sPOD. Ditched the fancy disco effects. Wires run through the frame rails.

REBEL OFFROAD
post #16 of 53 Old 07-30-2010, 07:28 AM
Rock God

Garage

i have the tantrum kit, but i did a few things differently with mine.

first i only used 6 of the 8 pods...will explain.

I bypassed the remote and all of the funny business that comes with the kit and installed another lead in the splitter box. Reason being that i have the FLW rear bumper with the rock lights and used the other lead to power those lights. this unified the 6 tantrum pods (two along the sliders, one under the front fender) and i will then splice the front lights of on FLW front bumper in.

i have two extra pods that i still dont know what i will do with, but i have night wheeled iwth these things and they are awesome!!!!

tantrum all the way

Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
and

post #17 of 53 Old 07-31-2010, 04:27 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by joePILE View Post
i have the tantrum kit, but i did a few things differently with mine.

first i only used 6 of the 8 pods...will explain.

I bypassed the remote and all of the funny business that comes with the kit and installed another lead in the splitter box. Reason being that i have the FLW rear bumper with the rock lights and used the other lead to power those lights. this unified the 6 tantrum pods (two along the sliders, one under the front fender) and i will then splice the front lights of on FLW front bumper in.

i have two extra pods that i still dont know what i will do with, but i have night wheeled iwth these things and they are awesome!!!!

tantrum all the way
Use the two for under hood lights!

www.californiasurveillanceinvestigators.com
post #18 of 53 Old 07-31-2010, 05:59 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegRock View Post
Use the two for under hood lights!
thats a damn good idea

and

post #19 of 53 Old 08-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Granite Guru

or use em as reverse lights

Blacked out 07 JKUR, safari straps, Treadwright 35's on stock rims and Spydertrax spacers, stubbied front bumper, trimmed flares, 2" body lift, 2" spacers in front with 1" spacers in rear, Gen Right Tire carrier, more to come!
post #20 of 53 Old 08-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

i dont remember the company name but i think Hit has the same set-up i have. 2 lights at each wheel well. VisionX??

you can get the basic kit. just lights and switch or get the optional remote. they blink in different patterns and will lilght up when the BASS hits. also in 7 different colors

here is a pic of mine on at night from the Big Bend trip with TexKev and RubiCajun

image will show later when i get the right link

in the meantime... VisionX is a vendor on Pirate4x4

Quote:
Check these out
YouTube - 4runner Rock Lights (Vision X Tantrum)
This is a VisionX LED Tantrum Rock Light kit. It comes with 8-LED pods that have 15-mini LED's each that are water proof and the controller to do all the fancy stuff (if you like that sort of thing) they can be hard wired into an on/off switch if you want.
See link here http://www.visionxstore.com/index.php?cPath=7&osCsid=udo62glgiodlhkdgeg6fvtdkp 5[/URL]
Remember your "piratex" coupon, and get these for 10% off and free shipping to the Lower 48 states.

•
•
•
•
• Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:
•
•
•
•
•

Magazine Feature:

post #21 of 53 Old 08-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Granite Guru

Yes, we are a sponsor on Pirate4x4 and JKOwners!
we offer member discounts for using coupon code "piratejko" on our website www.visionxstore.com

The Tantrum kits come with 8-LED Pods and the controller/remote is included. Just like some people noted above, you can just not use the controller and wire them directly.

post #22 of 53 Old 08-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Rock God

The Tantrums look great! How do they do surviving water crossings? Not while they are on, of course, but in general. Are they sealed well enough to be considered waterproof? just wundrin

If you're gonna be fucking weird, own it.

~SoCo
______
post #23 of 53 Old 09-04-2010, 01:59 AM
Granite Guru

The Tantrum lights are not fully waterproof to submerge them, but are pretty durable and water resistant. We highly recommend using clear silicone around the base and ring of the light pod once they are installed. But be carefull and make it look neat and clean. This will help the life span of these lights last for many years to come.

post #24 of 53 Old 09-04-2010, 02:01 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JocKy View Post
tantrums rock!

I spent hours and hours figuring the best spot that was both out of the way of the rocks and produced the best light for driver and spotter. The toughest ones were the front with the shorty bumper. I'm happy with the result. Wired them directly to the sPOD. Ditched the fancy disco effects. Wires run through the frame rails.
JocKy, ok that is THE BEST picture I have ever seen of these Rock Lights. I give you mad props for that. How would you like to share it so we can put on the VisionXusa and visionXstore website and possibly print material?

post #25 of 53 Old 09-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
JocKy, ok that is THE BEST picture I have ever seen of these Rock Lights. I give you mad props for that. How would you like to share it so we can put on the VisionXusa and visionXstore website and possibly print material?
THIS
IS
BADASS

2010 Unlimited Preferred Package: Manual EVERYTHING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode