swapping stereos - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-02-2015, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

swapping stereos

hey, i have an american 2008 JKU which i plan to sell, with the Uconnect stereo (the one with the touchscreen, is it called like that?), and i also have a mexican 2007 JKU which im keeping, but this one has the normal stereo.

how hard would it be for me to swap them?? i have installed a couple stereos before, i installed one on my YJ and another one on my Xterra, but im not sure if the swap would be as easy... im thinking maybe the 07 wont have the plugs for the U connect one??

im not sure if this matters, but im in Mexico, and the 08 comes from Texas, but the 07 was originally sold in Mexico... i think thats why it doesnt has the same stereo, i heard on the beginning they sent the 07s and 08s to Mexico without it...

2007 JKU, 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, 285/70 17 mud terrains....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-02-2015, 05:32 PM
Granite Guru

I installed a 3rd party radio from crutchfield. Getting to the radio is pretty easy. The only thing that might be an issue is if the uconnect has the nav. I believe nav has an external gps antenna. I have no idea, im just making that assumption.

Shouldnt take more than an hour or two to try and swap them.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-02-2015, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx. actually it has navigation, but the maps are not updated (im in mexico) and im not planning on updating anytime soon, so, i dont use the nav option. i mainly like the uconnect because of the hard disc to store music.

i have not taken the time to inspect the radios, so, how do you get to them?? how do you remove them?? they look more complicated than on my Xterra, and i dont want to break something... i also dont want to risk removing them only to find out the 07 is mssing a plug or something and im not able to do the swap....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-02-2015, 06:17 PM
JKO Addict!

If you have an AEV ProCal installed, uninstall it first before swapping radios. It uses one of the nodes in the radio to calibrate/protect it. If you remove the radio with the ProCal programming still applied and get rid of the radio, you'll be stuck if you ever want to change a setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-03-2015, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx! i dont, but good info for someone who may want to do the same swap...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode