Best windshield lights? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 Old 04-07-2010, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Best windshield lights?

I'm looking at getting affordable windshield lights that throw a lot of light. I wanted to keep the size around 4-6 inches. I've been looking a lot at the LIghtforce 140s and 170s. I am open to whatever other brands are affordable and have a great light pattern and last a while. Would I be better getting HID or Halogen? And by HID, it would probably be the HidX ones or maybe Rugged Ridge, which I understand are the same lights.

What do you all recommend?

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 04-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Rock God

I vote for HIDX lights myself!

And, just a correction... the Rugged Ridge lights are NOT the same lights as ours. HIDX and our parent company (who designed, built and owns part of the plant who manufactures them) are the only 2 brands that will ever be sold to the US of this actual light. There are a few companies, RR included, that COPIED our lights and are manufacturing them in a different plant in China (presumably). While I cannot say they are good, bad or indifferent... they are not the SAME lights.

There have been over 40,000 of our lights sold into the US in about 2.5 years. Our lights have run the Baja 100, King of the Hammers and many other hardcore races. In fact Loren Healy won KOH with our lights. He actually had a very well known brand of halogens on his rig also, that both broke. GenRight also finished 14 and were sponsored by us in KOH. I think a total of 16 race rigs ran our lights in KOH. The bottom line is that our lights are proven successful over time, and in harsh conditions. NONE of the other "inexpensive" HID companies can say that about their lights.

Halogen vs HID... HID are 35 watts, draw barely over 3 amps each and are roughly 3 times the intensity with a more comfortable and appealing "color" of light. They also do not have filaments that can break in harsh conditions. So... better durability by design, better performance in output, and much less demanding on the electrical/charging system of your vehicle. All of these advantages, for only a little more money when compared to the "top of the line" halogen lights.

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you, and good luck with your decision.

Dave Dorsen [847-410-3750]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Dealer inquiries welcome*
post #3 of 53 Old 04-07-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidX View Post

And, just a correction... the Rugged Ridge lights are NOT the same lights as ours. HIDX and our parent company (who designed, built and owns part of the plant who manufactures them) are the only 2 brands that will ever be sold to the US of this actual light. There are a few companies, RR included, that COPIED our lights and are manufacturing them in a different plant in China (presumably). While I cannot say they are good, bad or indifferent... they are not the SAME lights.

There have been over 40,000 of our lights sold into the US in about 2.5 years. Our lights have run the Baja 100, King of the Hammers and many other hardcore races. In fact Loren Healy won KOH with our lights. He actually had a very well known brand of halogens on his rig also, that both broke. GenRight also finished 14 and were sponsored by us in KOH. I think a total of 16 race rigs ran our lights in KOH. The bottom line is that our lights are proven successful over time, and in harsh conditions. NONE of the other "inexpensive" HID companies can say that about their lights.

Halogen vs HID... HID are 35 watts, draw barely over 3 amps each and are roughly 3 times the intensity with a more comfortable and appealing "color" of light. They also do not have filaments that can break in harsh conditions. So... better durability by design, better performance in output, and much less demanding on the electrical/charging system of your vehicle. All of these advantages, for only a little more money when compared to the "top of the line" halogen lights.

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you, and good luck with your decision.
Awesome to hear you chime in so quickly. Pretty sure you made up my mind. Where can I order? Through Trail Duty or anywhere else? And they are what, $110 for the pair?

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 Old 04-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Rock God

Good to hear! Trail Duty and RDM are both JKO sponsors that are dealers of ours. They can certainly take care of you, and provide you with pricing.

post #5 of 53 Old 04-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Rock God

I've dealt with RDM for my lighting needs, and have been very satisfied (have not dealt with Trail Duty yet).

If you're looking for lights (and real lights), I would only look at HIDs. Even the poorest HID light will outperform almost all of the halogen lights on the market (the top end ones might still be around). Then as Jason noted, there's the signiffantly lower wattage & amprage needed for HIDs vs halogens.

While the 7" lights are pretty big (HIDx has some pics of them on a JK), they get signifficantly more range than the 4" lights. If I wasn't so cheap (I don't want to pay the shipping - I know...), I'd return the Eagle Eye HID driving lights and get some of the 7" HIDx lights for my WS.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #6 of 53 Old 04-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Rock God

PM returned

JKOWNERS Member Discount Available at:

Click the link to automatically apply the current offer!

Follow us on:

post #7 of 53 Old 04-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Wheeler

I run the Lightforce 170's on my windshield. Lightforce has treated me very well. That being said they are not "economical" by any stretch. They're pretty darn pricey but you get what you pay for.

In the off road world if I can't find what I want made in the US I'm more than happy to send my money to Australia. Had I done more looking before I bought I might not have spent so much but I do not regret my purchase at all.

R.I.P. Black Sunshine
Time to start over.
HAM Tech KC0VIU
post #8 of 53 Old 04-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Granite Guru

For a good, not gonna kill the wallet light, I went with hella 500s $70 for the pair. I have run them on 3 different Jeeps(on the windsheild and bumper). very durabale never had one break or even crack a lens. My next set for my bumper are gonna be either the 4" or 7" HIDx more money yes but a ton of light for the $$.
post #9 of 53 Old 04-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Granite Guru

I run the Hella 500's with an HID conversion. $80 lights with an $80 conversion and they are BRIGHT!
post #10 of 53 Old 04-09-2010, 03:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by officer_vince View Post
I run the Hella 500's with an HID conversion. $80 lights with an $80 conversion and they are BRIGHT!
Pattern sucks though. Thats what is on my rig too. I will be spending the money on 'real' HID lights next time.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #11 of 53 Old 04-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by officer_vince View Post
And then for saving $50/70 bucks, you get the joys of doing the work yourself, mounting a ballast, and ensuring it doesn't look like shit, and that it actually works. Or just fork out the $200/250 (size dependent), and get a pair of HIDx lights with an internal ballast that you won't be disappointed with, is covered by warranty, has a good beam pattern and looks good.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #12 of 53 Old 04-09-2010, 05:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
And then for saving $50/70 bucks, you get the joys of doing the work yourself, mounting a ballast, and ensuring it doesn't look like shit, and that it actually works.
That is pretty exaggerated if you ask me. Some people do enjoying doing something by their own self. I sure do. Downfall I have come across to the hellas is the pattern. Hell with the time or effort it takes to install something, I like working on my vehicles. Then again I don't pay anyone for any work either.

+ the cheapest HID lights I've seen would probably be $220 per pair. My pair was $80 with the HID swap. It was worth the $140 difference to me, and the pattern is just not 'optimal'. Next go around I will get some 7" HID lights for the front bumper, no plans of straying from my 'actually working, not looking like shit and mounted ballast HID lights'

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 04-09-2010 at 05:59 PM.
post #13 of 53 Old 04-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
And then for saving $50/70 bucks, you get the joys of doing the work yourself, mounting a ballast, and ensuring it doesn't look like shit, and that it actually works. Or just fork out the $200/250 (size dependent), and get a pair of HIDx lights with an internal ballast that you won't be disappointed with, is covered by warranty, has a good beam pattern and looks good.
I have yet to be disappointed with them. I had them already in halogen and upgraded. The pattern is good as far as I am concerned. I am upgrading to the Hella 700FF which has a better pattern.
I also enjoy making things work and understanding how to put things together that are a little different than what everyone else may have.
post #14 of 53 Old 04-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidX View Post

What is the difference in output of the 4" vs the 7"?

2007 JK Rubi Unlimited - 5" Teraflex, 37" Iroks
2005 LJ - HP60, 14 Bolt, 39.5, some other stuff
1978 J10 SOA and 35's

post #15 of 53 Old 04-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Rock God

I can tell u that there is not a difference in the output. Ive seen the 4" and i have the 7" and i cant tell the diff, they are fucking bright and i have put them trough some shit and they still light up.

JKOutcast Member
post #16 of 53 Old 04-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooJeep View Post
What is the difference in output of the 4" vs the 7"?
This is actually somewhat difficult to answer... Both the lights measure 3200 lumens. When lumens are measured, it takes the brightest part of the beam pattern and gives you a reading. So, basically, the brightest part of both the 4" and 7" lights are the same. In addition, the internals for these lights are exactly the same as far as ballast, starter, bulb and wiring. However, the reflector is obviously larger in the 7", and this does emit a larger beam pattern... but of the same intensity. This can be perceived as more light output, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLYSUPER View Post
I can tell u that there is not a difference in the output. Ive seen the 4" and i have the 7" and i cant tell the diff, they are fucking bright and i have put them trough some shit and they still light up.
...or I should have just answered it this way to keep it straight forward!

I would like to add also, that HID reflectors are made for HID bulbs and to create a specific pattern. An HID bulb retrofit into a halogen designed housing/reflector, whether for a headlight or an offroad light, will not be IDEAL. Does this mean it wont throw a ton of light? Not at all... but it just wont be focused into a predetermined pattern as accurately. There is no doubt though, that an HID bulb put into a halogen housing/reflector will put out a lot more light than the halogen did.

post #17 of 53 Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Rock God

Would HIDs be too much for the windshield? Would HIDs on the windshield and non HIDs on the bumper look bad?

I.E.
LF 140 HIDs on the windshield
LF 170s on the bumper

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
post #18 of 53 Old 04-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to LS6TT

im running some pro comp spot lights from 4 wheel parts that were like 15$ each and they put out a shit ton of light.

Now i agree, not as much as the HIDs are gunna, but they work great for me and I spot coyotes and hogs a good 30 feet in front of my jeep, and thats plenty of distance.

-Alex
2010 2dr Sport | 2.5" BB Lift with 4dr Springs | More to come
post #19 of 53 Old 04-04-2011, 10:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6TT View Post
im running some pro comp spot lights from 4 wheel parts that were like 15$ each and they put out a shit ton of light.

Now i agree, not as much as the HIDs are gunna, but they work great for me and I spot coyotes and hogs a good 30 feet in front of my jeep, and thats plenty of distance.

Alex has young eyes !!!!

My older eyes require 60 feet for spotting wild animals !!!

I have the Slim Line KC's!!!! They cost more than $15 but not a bunch more.

The Project is moving forward.
post #20 of 53 Old 04-04-2011, 10:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

No, Grizz, I don't think HID's on the a-pillars would be too much. At least I hope.

I have a pair of the HID X 7" lights on my a-pillars and my god those things put out somel light! And I think I ended up paying about $265 for both lights, the mounts, shipping & tax. I actually went hog hunting with them about a month ago and had no trouble seeing anything at all. Spotted a couple nice dear probably 700 yards away and was even able to bring the scope up on them. Now if only it had been dear season.....

As soon as I get further along with my build, I'll be getting another set of HID X lights (probably 4") for my front bumper.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #21 of 53 Old 04-04-2011, 10:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have both the 4" and 7" light on my rig. Here is my impression.

7" A-Pillar Mounted - Wider beam pattern. You can see street signs for miles. If you turn them on in traffic, EVERYONE will hate you...so i don't.

4" Bumper Mounted - Smaller beam pattern makes light seem more intense.

Both are crazy bright and only take 15-20 seconds to warm up reach maximum intensity.

If i level the lights and turn them all on the 4" lights appear to be brighter because of the smaller lense focusing the light. I wouldn't hesitate to run the smaller lights on the A-Pillar. The 7" lights up there interfere with changing windshield wipers and running a squegee across the window.

If you do go with the HIDx lights, but their mounting bracket. The depth of the built in ballast makes them too deep to run with most standard light mounting brackets.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #22 of 53 Old 04-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee1669 View Post
I have both the 4" and 7" light on my rig. Here is my impression.

7" A-Pillar Mounted - Wider beam pattern. You can see street signs for miles. If you turn them on in traffic, EVERYONE will hate you...so i don't.

4" Bumper Mounted - Smaller beam pattern makes light seem more intense.

Both are crazy bright and only take 15-20 seconds to warm up reach maximum intensity.

If i level the lights and turn them all on the 4" lights appear to be brighter because of the smaller lense focusing the light. I wouldn't hesitate to run the smaller lights on the A-Pillar. The 7" lights up there interfere with changing windshield wipers and running a squegee across the window.

If you do go with the HIDx lights, but their mounting bracket. The depth of the built in ballast makes them too deep to run with most standard light mounting brackets.
Wait you have both the lightforces? So 140s on my bumper and 170s on the a pillar? Im just worried about the 140s looking small on my bumper

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
post #23 of 53 Old 04-04-2011, 11:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

No, I think he has the HID X lights. Could be wrong, though.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #24 of 53 Old 04-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
I'm looking at getting affordable windshield lights that throw a lot of light. I wanted to keep the size around 4-6 inches. I've been looking a lot at the LIghtforce 140s and 170s. I am open to whatever other brands are affordable and have a great light pattern and last a while. Would I be better getting HID or Halogen? And by HID, it would probably be the HidX ones or maybe Rugged Ridge, which I understand are the same lights.

What do you all recommend?
Hey if you haven't bought yet give 4x4trailgear.com a try. They are a sponsoring vendor here as well. I have found lately that if Jason or Alec are given the chance they will beat others prices.
Not knocking other vendors but just speaking from experience.

Jester
Jester Offroad

863-875-7907
post #25 of 53 Old 04-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Rock God

Hey this is kinda an old thread....I just revived it to answer some of my questions without starting a new one

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode