ORO LitePANEL and LiteDOT Combo - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-13-2015, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

ORO LitePANEL and LiteDOT Combo

Anyone have this set-up, or just the lights?
I was hoping to get some feedback on the lights and whether the panels did a good job of keeping the lights out of harm's way.

At any rate, I thought they were cool and think it might be a no-brainer if the cost isn't out of the question for the quality/reliability. I know the Combo is salty, but so are BajaDesigns, JW Speakers, etc. Are the OROs near par with those MFG's products?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-05-2015, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

No one, huh?
post #3 of 8 Old 06-06-2015, 12:23 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
No one, huh?

I don't believe a lot of guys run these. I think river raider makes corners that are compatible with the lite dots but that's about it. If you check over on the TJ friendly forums you will find reports of individual LED lights going out, but I'm not sure how wide spread or current the problem is. I wouldn't buy them but I'm a cheap bastard.

"CUTTS CREW"
07 Unlimited Sport
Snork
Bunch of Other Stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-06-2015, 09:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARDUP View Post
I don't believe a lot of guys run these. I think river raider makes corners that are compatible with the lite dots but that's about it. If you check over on the TJ friendly forums you will find reports of individual LED lights going out, but I'm not sure how wide spread or current the problem is. I wouldn't buy them but I'm a cheap bastard.
GenRight makes these as well http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=CNR8104. Not sure they're plug n play for the OROs but they look like they'd work. I had read about the problems with OROs too, plus didn't want to spend the big bucks. I prefer cheap (not poor quality) and readily available. That's why I went with the flush mount LEDs. Available at any truck stop, and $15 instead of $200.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-07-2015, 01:55 AM
Rock God

Garage

I know 5 or 6 guys who have the ORO tail lights and every single one of them has segments that have gone out. Not just one or two but 5-10 per light. For the price these costs that shouldn't ever be a problem. I wouldn't waste my time installing them if they were free.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #6 of 8 Old 06-07-2015, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thank you for the heads-up, guys.
For their money, failed LEDs is inexcusable.

I like the idea that the ORO Panels face directly aft, as opposed to flush - if you're calling wrapped around the corner flush. Can I assume the Panels are okay or should I just look elsewhere? I have no intentions of armoring my corners and the flush mounts I've seen otherwise have the light not quite flush with the mounting panel...like putting a round peg in a square hole.

I guess more searching on my part might reveal a suitable panel/light interface.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-07-2015, 08:21 PM
Rock God

Garage

the LitePanel is just a plastic plate that fills-in the stock tail light opening so you can mount a LiteDot. The light still sticks out and it's still plastic so will break if pushed into an obstacle. Someone here (I forget who) did a write-up on some steel plates he made to mount 4" LED's. I would go in that direction.

Alternately, Metalcloak has some nice, low-profile LED tail lights that mount in the stock openings, and IIRC, they are cheaper with the LED's than ORO's panels alone.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #8 of 8 Old 06-07-2015, 09:33 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
I like the idea that the ORO Panels face directly aft, as opposed to flush - if you're calling wrapped around the corner flush.
I'm not. Flush means that it does not protrude from the mounting surface. It's still just a 4" flat circle of LEDs that points whatever direction you mount it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
the LitePanel is just a plastic plate that fills-in the stock tail light opening so you can mount a LiteDot. The light still sticks out and it's still plastic so will break if pushed into an obstacle. Someone here (I forget who) did a write-up on some steel plates he made to mount 4" LED's. I would go in that direction.
Unless you have a box raised from the surface, you will have to modify the quarter panel for a 4" round to fit. The circle will not fit in the OEM tail light hole. The OP said he's not going to armor his corners, so I would guess he's not wild about cutting them either. Somebody makes a mounting box. Maybe Warrior Products? I'll see if I can locate it.

Edit: Here you go. http://www.warriorproducts.com/catal...l-tail-lights/

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:

Last edited by UnlimiDozer; 06-07-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode