Interior lights will not go off - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-10-2015, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Interior lights will not go off

Hey guys, hoping one of yall may have run into this before -

Behavior:
- Interior overhead lights, domes on the b and C pillars, and map lights in the rear view mirror, will not go off while driving and will not turn off when Jeep is turned off(until the 10min timer hits).
- All doors do register as shut on the dash
- Switch on the stem off the steering wheel is turned to the off position.

Specs:
- 2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon, stock radios, stock doors, stock electrical for the most part with addons listed below (lights, arb, switchpro, etc)
- No interior LEDs - all interior lights are stock.
- Do have LED tails(MetalCloak with resistors),
- Do have LED headlights(JW speaker with sms harness)
- Do have LED fogs(JW Speakers with Headlight Revolution harnesses)

Things that Changed Prior to Issue:
- Started after I had a Poison Spyder trail cage, synergy bpillar, and poison spyder Cpillar kit installed. Honestly didn't think much of it and figured I had forgot to close a door or had another simple problem and proceeded to install a Switchpros switch panel with a midland handheld cb(already had, just moved to switchpro), oro rock lights, and Arb twin compressor hooked up to it before my next wheeling trip. At that trip I realized it wasn't a small problem and since haven't been able to figure it out.

Troubleshooting:
- Ensured Doors/Tailgate were closed. No open door warning on dash.
- Ensured stem was set to off. If I do turn the lights to the on position on steering wheel stem, the lights do get a tad bit brighter and when I turn them off a tad bit dimmer so I'm assuming there are two circuits providing power and need to figure out what is causing the first circuit to keep the lights on.
- Tried to pull the battery cables and leave them undone for 10min and hook back up, no change.
- Pulling the appropriate fuse does cut the lights off but not a fix.
- Unhooked all addon electrical accessories iteratively to see if I could isolate any of those as an issue and even unplugged the headlights and fogs with no change to the ill behavior. Did not unhook tail lights but I've had those for months.

My inclination is a wire was nicked or is pinched in one of the door harnesses when the cage was put in that allows the computer to think the door is closed but not turn off the lights but I don't know. The shop that installed the cage is willing to diag it but figured I'd ask and see if any of yall had run into this.. Open to ideas/thoughts/suggestions.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by BigPrince; 05-10-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-10-2015, 10:52 PM
Rock God

that's a weird one alright. I'm wondering if there is some way that two wires were pinched together to where another circuit is feeding the interior lights. But that wouldn't make sense if you pulled the normal fuse for the interior lights and it turns them off.

Maybe try disconnecting the power connectors to all of your doors (front and rear) and see if that turns them off. When the doors are disconnected the door switches are turned off. Even though its telling you all the doors are closed, may be worth a shot.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-12-2015, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Unhooked the front and rear doors and the lights will still not turn off until the 10min timer expires after the jeep is turned off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-21-2015, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

for anyone who may find this thread in the future, the shop found a small piece of metal from the cage install that somehow landed on the open circuit board above the middle Dome light that shorted two contacts out. It didn't want to move but once removed, we're all back to normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode