Relay chatter - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-09-2015, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Relay chatter

Guys I wired my light bar to my high beams today and I used a relay where the high beam power, Powers the relay to allow 12 volt constant to the lights..... Now when I use the high beam, it turns on the light bar but a relay is chattering inside the cab of the wrangler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-09-2015, 01:31 PM
Wheeler

Does your hot to the relay have power directly from the battery? It may sound like a dumb question. Post a diagram of your wiring.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-09-2015, 01:49 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Pretty common occurance with the CanBus controlled PWM headlight circuit. TRS/Morimoto builds a pretty insane control harness to overcome this problem when running HID projector headlights basically doing the same thing you're doing. This is a review off their site for that harness. So you aren't alone.

I personally wouldn't tie anything into the PWM controlled lighting circuits on a Mopar vehicles for the reason you're experiencing. That chatter is being caused by the pulsing of current to determine bulb/circuit conditions for protection and indication of a problem. The TRS harness employs a capacitor, load resistors, and a relay control box to overcome this issue. The LED anti-flicker modules you see for TL, KC, Peterson, and JW are similar in construction.

I don't believe there is a simple solution to what you're experiencing other than to modify an anti-flicker harness or start messing around with resistors/capacitors on the coil circuit for the relay to smooth out those pulses.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-09-2015, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks JKCTAZ, I guess I'll unhook the relay till I find a solution and use my switch
post #5 of 10 Old 05-09-2015, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Well JKCTAZ, if I used the wire coming from my hid kit relay to the high beam projector high beam arm (the tiny red and black wires) to close the relay to my light bar I should be fine?

Last edited by Peddle; 05-09-2015 at 02:52 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-09-2015, 03:18 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I would tap the output of your relay harness before i'd tap the H13 side of your factory plug for sure. What HID setup are you using?

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 05-09-2015 at 03:20 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-09-2015, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

It's a complete set, headlights and fog lights, from hidprojectors.com. pic in my Album. I'm gonna try that tomorrow. Thanks again
post #8 of 10 Old 05-09-2015, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Soon switching to led bulbs for all, also from the same guy. 15% less output, but better lighting I think
post #9 of 10 Old 05-11-2015, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys, glad to report that hooking the wire to the high beam AFTER the hid relay worked like a charm ?.
No more chatter
post #10 of 10 Old 05-11-2015, 12:48 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Glad that worked out for ya.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode