airtool question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-02-2010, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
jeepersheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South jersey
Age: 34
Posts: 1,121
Feedback: 0 reviews
airtool question

just a quick question for today... if I were to run a small tank say 2 gallon supplied by dual viair 400 compressors how efficient would that be for running air tools?

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers


Jersey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
jeepersheart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 04-02-2010, 07:56 AM
JKO Addict!
 
bodyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Shit Creek, Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 4,013
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepersheart View Post
just a quick question for today... if I were to run a small tank say 2 gallon supplied by dual viair 400 compressors how efficient would that be for running air tools?
depends on the cfm rating of the tool and the air compressor. If the tool uses more cfm than the comp can put out then it will only run long enough to drain the tank.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bodyguy is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 04-02-2010, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
jeepersheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South jersey
Age: 34
Posts: 1,121
Feedback: 0 reviews

I guess a better question would be this: the CFM rating of the viair 400c is aprox. 2.5, so would having 2 of them suppling the same tank be sufficient to keep enough pressure in the tank to keep the tool running, given a CFM rating on the tool of say 3-5? Essentially what I am asking is would the CFM rating of the compressor double since I am using 2 of them? I will admit I am new to this whole compressed air game, I am more of an electrical guru myself.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers


Jersey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
jeepersheart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 04-02-2010, 08:25 AM
JKO Addict!
 
bodyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Shit Creek, Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 4,013
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepersheart View Post
I guess a better question would be this: the CFM rating of the viair 400c is aprox. 2.5, so would having 2 of them suppling the same tank be sufficient to keep enough pressure in the tank to keep the tool running, given a CFM rating on the tool of say 3-5? Essentially what I am asking is would the CFM rating of the compressor double since I am using 2 of them? I will admit I am new to this whole compressed air game, I am more of an electrical guru myself.
Yes the CFM rating would double but I would use one pressure switch to turn on both compressors and run separate lines to the tank to maximize volume. Do the viair comp come with pressure bleed off valves and a one way valve to keep head pressure down? If not I would invest in some.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bodyguy is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 04-02-2010, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
jeepersheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South jersey
Age: 34
Posts: 1,121
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
Yes the CFM rating would double but I would use one pressure switch to turn on both compressors and run separate lines to the tank to maximize volume.
So far I am with ya and I totally agree


Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
Do the viair comp come with pressure bleed off valves and a one way valve to keep head pressure down? If not I would invest in some.
ok ya lost me right about here... as of now this system is completely hypothetical, until I figure out something that will work for me.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers


Jersey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
jeepersheart is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 04-02-2010, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
jeepersheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South jersey
Age: 34
Posts: 1,121
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
Yes the CFM rating would double but I would use one pressure switch to turn on both compressors and run separate lines to the tank to maximize volume. Do the viair comp come with pressure bleed off valves and a one way valve to keep head pressure down? If not I would invest in some.
I thought head pressure was a good thing... sorry couldnt resist

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers


Jersey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
jeepersheart is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 04-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Granite Guru
 
St.AndrewsJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 237
Feedback: 0 reviews

Air tools are usually rated way less than the compressor's cut off point. Usually air tools are rated at 90 PSI. What's your compressor's cut off PSI? 120? Maybe more? You can give the compressor a little help by having a regulator valve installed and set to 90 PSI. This will give the make the compressor "act" like it's a little bigger than it is. Besides that, most od those Viair units work really well to begin with. Adding that regulator will make it even better.

Everybody has a photographic memory. Some people just have no film.
__________________
Insist On Quality.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
St.AndrewsJeep is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 04-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Granite Guru
 
St.AndrewsJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 237
Feedback: 0 reviews

.....also, that 2.54 CFM is very misleading. Actually, it slap ain't right. Look at their chart. It's 2.54 [email protected] 0 PSI. 0 PSI won't run a darn thing. Your best bet is to see what the CFM is at around whatever the air tool's rating is....so you'd need to go back to that 90PSI. At 90PSI, you have 1.41 CFM. That's much more realistic. You need to watch companies that advertise their CFM ratings at 0 PSI, because 0 PSI is usless. All that is, is a measurement of how fast air flow is going into an empty tank. It does nothing to tell you how it will run an air tool. Just food for thought.

Everybody has a photographic memory. Some people just have no film.
__________________
Insist On Quality.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
St.AndrewsJeep is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 04-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Granite Guru
 
toolmanTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CT
Age: 46
Posts: 303
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Average 1/2" impact gun runs have a 1/4" NPT fitting and use 5 CFM @ 90 PsI. With a 2 gallon tank charged up to 125 PSI

(Don't forget that the tank ALSO must have standard 1/4" line coming from it NOT the 1/8" line that most come with)

You will be able to hold the trigger for close to 2 seconds before the compressor (s) kick back in feeding the tank drawing 20 amps EACH @ 100% duty cycle (Very important as they will be running almost constantly).

I have been down this road years ago and built a system that I thought would be the BOMB! Yeah not so much and that was with dual 5 gallon "Hot Dog" tanks fed by dual ViAir 3 somethings (It was several years ago) and nope I was able to loosen 1.5 lugs on a charge ... thazit!


Then I used a belt driven unit on my buddies Cummins. Dual feeds (Meaning you AND a friend weilding impact wrenches or dual wield them yourself for kicks. His setup was urge overkill but hysterical never the less.


Pricey But worth every dang cent! I do not know what compressor rating our kit would have but their big daddy compressor will fire off 8 CFM @ 90 I am in no way affiliated with Kilby or York but have used their kits. I was impressed that is for certain.


Jeep Onboard Air kit

::KE-2200-K
AirBoss Kit for 2007 - 2009 Jeep Wrangler JK



Airboss systems provide enough air to run air tools with ease without over taxing the system. We use only top of the line components that meet our rigorous standards, including the state-of-the-art York Compressor. All brackets are made from or 3/16 laser cut steel, and then zinc plated for corrosion resistance and proper compressor grounding.

System installation is straightforward and all necessary components are included in the kits. Our components are thoroughly tested and designed to work together.

Installation Notes:

* Fits 2007-2009 Wrangler JK models with 3.8L engines with factory AC.
* Works with factory air intake.

Kit includes:
KE-2200 Compressor Mounting Kit
25-513352 York Clutch
EF210R York Compressor
FS-07-050 Intake Filter
28723 Rotolock Fittings
99-431 York Dipstick
KE-ACCKIT-JK Accessory Kit
KE-AT2.5 Air Tank

'10 Surf 2Door Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-Vid Flexin' Muscle

6.2 liter Motec Ls swapped 2011 Jku with Rock Jock 60, Dynatrac rcv Pr44, and usual other beef on 37" MTR's.
toolmanTim is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 04-02-2010, 01:51 PM
JKO Addict!
 
bodyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Shit Creek, Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 4,013
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmanTim View Post
Average 1/2" impact gun runs have a 1/4" NPT fitting and use 5 CFM @ 90 PsI. With a 2 gallon tank charged up to 125 PSI

(Don't forget that the tank ALSO must have standard 1/4" line coming from it NOT the 1/8" line that most come with)

You will be able to hold the trigger for close to 2 seconds before the compressor (s) kick back in feeding the tank drawing 20 amps EACH @ 100% duty cycle (Very important as they will be running almost constantly).

I have been down this road years ago and built a system that I thought would be the BOMB! Yeah not so much and that was with dual 5 gallon "Hot Dog" tanks fed by dual ViAir 3 somethings (It was several years ago) and nope I was able to loosen 1.5 lugs on a charge ... thazit!


Then I used a belt driven unit on my buddies Cummins. Dual feeds (Meaning you AND a friend weilding impact wrenches or dual wield them yourself for kicks. His setup was urge overkill but hysterical never the less.




Pricey But worth every dang cent! I do not know what compressor rating our kit would have but their big daddy compressor will fire off 8 CFM @ 90 I am in no way affiliated with Kilby or York but have used their kits. I was impressed that is for certain.


Jeep Onboard Air kit

::KE-2200-K
AirBoss Kit for 2007 - 2009 Jeep Wrangler JK



Airboss systems provide enough air to run air tools with ease without over taxing the system. We use only top of the line components that meet our rigorous standards, including the state-of-the-art York Compressor. All brackets are made from ” or 3/16” laser cut steel, and then zinc plated for corrosion resistance and proper compressor grounding.

System installation is straightforward and all necessary components are included in the kits. Our components are thoroughly tested and designed to work together.

Installation Notes:

* Fits 2007-2009 Wrangler JK models with 3.8L engines with factory AC.
* Works with factory air intake.

Kit includes:
KE-2200 Compressor Mounting Kit
25-513352 York Clutch
EF210R York Compressor
FS-07-050 Intake Filter
28723 Rotolock Fittings
99-431 York Dipstick
KE-ACCKIT-JK Accessory Kit
KE-AT2.5 Air Tank
I ran a york compressor on my Dodge pickup for awhile I think the output was 11cfm at 90psi at xxxx rpm and I had the cut off switch set to run 150 psi but I dont remember the model number I bought. If you can weld you can build a setup for the york for much less.

EDIT its a york model 210 and it puts out 10.3 cfm at ?? psi


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bodyguy; 04-02-2010 at 01:56 PM.
bodyguy is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 04-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Granite Guru
 
toolmanTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CT
Age: 46
Posts: 303
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

10.3 CFM @ 90 P.S.I I would safely bet. even @ 50 that is a boatload of volume. I figure (And have since learned from my own mistake) for what someone would spend on electric compressors and all the goodies with it for a few hundred more you have a system that rivals most home units, is less strain on the JK's electrical system, comes in handy at parties, and is meant to run in extreme duty environments.

'10 Surf 2Door Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-Vid Flexin' Muscle

6.2 liter Motec Ls swapped 2011 Jku with Rock Jock 60, Dynatrac rcv Pr44, and usual other beef on 37" MTR's.
toolmanTim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome