New Head Unit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-01-2010, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
New Head Unit

I Just purchase a Pioneer unit AVHP3100DVD. I have the factory head unit right now, it is a 6 disc changer, no uconnect, no sub. Will I need to get the upgraded wiring harness for this? Is there a factory amp that I need to work around, hook up so the factory speakers will work? I am going to replace all the speakers with an after market amp.

Just wondering if there is anything crazy I will run into when installing it.

Thanks,
Steve

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Rock God

Garage

im pretty sure you will need to get a wiring harness for this... any aftermarket head needs a wiring harness... as far as hooking up amps and such, that should all fall in with the new harness...

but pm me if you are interested in getting rid of your stock unit!!!

I LIVE, I RIDE, I DESTROY, ANYTHING I GET BEHIND THE WHEEL OF
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
But you either support your troops or you are shit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-02-2010, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

What is the ohm rating of the factory speakers... the Pioneer unit I got says 4 ohms or higher... I think I read somewhere that the factory was 2... can someone confirm this.

Thanks,
Steve

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Granite Guru

i havne't heard anything about the ohm rating, but from working with sound systems since high school, all you really need to do is run to walmart or best buy and get the wiring harness for your model jeep and probably a dash install kit unless the one you purchased is the same size as the factory unit. you will connect the cd player harness wires to the harness you bought, all colors should match straight up, going from just memory i think it is like purple to purple, black/purple to black/purple, etc. once you do that you'll plug in the 2 ends to each correct location and you should be golden and good to go with all the factory speakers, you also mentioned getting aftermarket speakers, i know if you get them from crutchfield they should give you a connector to go from the aftermarket speakers to the factory spearker connection so you don't have to cut the factory connection to install the new speakers. i am not sure if best buy has these connectors or not. hope that helps a little bit, if you need any further help or a little some more questions just pm me, i try to check the forum a several times a day. good luck

I don't need anger management classes you need shut the f*#K up classes.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-10-2010, 04:56 AM
Granite Guru

You will need 3 thing

1-euro Metra Electronics Corp. - 40-EU10
2-harness Metra Electronics Corp. - XSVI-6522
3-bezel Metra Electronics Corp. - 95-6511

The first is quite obvious, second will keep the stock wiring and trick the can bus system, plug the metra harness then just install the harness from your radio on it. The third is a bezel it fill the hole on each side of your new unit since its less large then oem.

You will need to trim a piece of metal and some plastic since the new unit run deeper then the oem .You’ll see its quite obvious, just cut it so the radio can go in completely.

Stock speaker are 2 ohm and quite honestly suck, take the time to change them, the only pita is the front driver speaker, they are in a kind of plastic box, remove the complete box and mount your new one in. Sound bar one are quite easy, any 6 inch will fit, all I did is drill 4 hole strait in the plastic since the oem speaker use only 3 ,then put back the original cover ,job done look clean.

If you plan to run a subwoofer in the future, I would install the rca cable and amplifier power trigger right away, this way you wont have to remove the radio again.

I currently use the pioneer premier fh-p800bt it’s a double din and almost look factory, they are great.Front speaker kicker DS650 and the back DS600 and a 10 inch kicker solo l-7 in the trunk.

Last edited by virtual_mage; 04-10-2010 at 05:11 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-10-2010, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
You will need 3 thing

1-euro Metra Electronics Corp. - 40-EU10
2-harness Metra Electronics Corp. - XSVI-6522
3-bezel Metra Electronics Corp. - 95-6511

The first is quite obvious, second will keep the stock wiring and trick the can bus system, plug the metra harness then just install the harness from your radio on it. The third is a bezel it fill the hole on each side of your new unit since its less large then oem.

You will need to trim a piece of metal and some plastic since the new unit run deeper then the oem .You’ll see its quite obvious, just cut it so the radio can go in completely.

Stock speaker are 2 ohm and quite honestly suck, take the time to change them, the only pita is the front driver speaker, they are in a kind of plastic box, remove the complete box and mount your new one in. Sound bar one are quite easy, any 6 inch will fit, all I did is drill 4 hole strait in the plastic since the oem speaker use only 3 ,then put back the original cover ,job done look clean.

If you plan to run a subwoofer in the future, I would install the rca cable and amplifier power trigger right away, this way you wont have to remove the radio again.

I currently use the pioneer premier fh-p800bt it’s a double din and almost look factory, they are great.Front speaker kicker DS650 and the back DS600 and a 10 inch kicker solo l-7 in the trunk.

Well i installed a Alpine IXAW404, 4 channel amp and 4 new speakers. I used the Pac C2R-CHY4 radio replacement interface. Well I got it all installed and found out I don't have all my options coming up on the deck. Alpines are picky if you don't have the park break wire hooked up. I've tried hooking to the Pac wire harness, still can't get it working... you have any ideas?

Thanks,
steve

post #7 of 12 Old 04-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I couldn't get the parking brake deal to work with my JVC either. I spliced it into the ground wire. Now it thinks the brake is always on, so I don't get that damn message popping up for every song from the ipod.

tehiv
'14 Copperhead JKUR
'14 White WK2 Overland

formerly: 98 TJ | 97 XJ | 05 TJ | 01 WJ | 07 JKU
post #8 of 12 Old 04-11-2010, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehiv View Post
I couldn't get the parking brake deal to work with my JVC either. I spliced it into the ground wire. Now it thinks the brake is always on, so I don't get that damn message popping up for every song from the ipod.
hey tehiv,

What did you ground it on? The ground wire on the deck?

Thanks for the info!

post #9 of 12 Old 04-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Yup, just spliced it into the ground wire coming out of the harness on the deck.
He takes a while to get around to it, but here's a vid of a guy doing it. He tested a few different ways, then just spliced it in.

YouTube - KW-AVX810 Parking Brake Bypass

tehiv
'14 Copperhead JKUR
'14 White WK2 Overland

formerly: 98 TJ | 97 XJ | 05 TJ | 01 WJ | 07 JKU
post #10 of 12 Old 04-11-2010, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well I tried hooking up to the ground... NOTHING!!!! Pissed off so bad want the throw the shit out. I guess I'll be taking it in to the local future shop where one of my bud works... might not get it in till next week.

post #11 of 12 Old 04-13-2010, 12:42 AM
Granite Guru

Did you try to ground it on the body? There a good one on the passenger side close to the hock for the door strap.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-13-2010, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
Did you try to ground it on the body? There a good one on the passenger side close to the hock for the door strap.
I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode